1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers in Boston

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by DerekMorgan, Feb 26, 2013.

1. I recently went to the Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont for the first time (my brain exploded with the awesomeness) and I go to Marty's in Allston a lot but there are a bunch of breweries that don't distribute to New England. Does anyone in the area know any hole in the wall places that might get any Hill Farmstead, 3 Floyds, Russian River, etc. that we can't normally get around here? If not has anyone from MA traded and gotten around the no shipping alcohol problem?
  2. You're not gonna find HF, FFF or RR in any store unless they got it illegally. Trade for it, you'll be fine I've traded tons of times with no problems.
  3. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I'm pretty sure none of those places distribute in MA, so no. As far as trading, if you don't get caught its not a problem. UPS and FedEx don't check your packages and the state doesn't check them at the border so that law only prevents you from ordering online.
  4. HF - road trip.
    FFF - pulled in their distribution years go. Basically, if you're not bordering Indiana, no FFF.
    RR - CA, OR, CO, and Philly. And Philly only gets kegs of the IPAs, Philly does get bottle of the ations.
  5. I think I'm going up to HF Wednesday for the Biere de Norma release so I'll probably grab a bunch of their other brews but I was curious about the others. I want to have my friend in CA ship some RR out here but I've never tried it, any tips? Just say it's soda or something?
  6. Read up on these:

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/beer-trading-rules-info.229/

http://alewatcher.blogspot.com/2010/11/new-trader-tips.html

Plenty of useful info there. I've been asked maybe once about the contents of the box. I just said they were some homemade sauces for my cousin across the country and they shipped it with no problems. Most of the time they don't ask or even care.
  7. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Pack it good and don't say anything. If they ask, I just make something up (textbooks, glassware, marinades, sauces, etc.). And if you make the HF trip or get some RR, I'm I'm Boston and wouldn't made having some :)