1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Beers Representative of the Aussie Scene

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by tbeckett, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Hi all. I'm going back home to Canada for a short visit and a few weddings. I was planning to bring back a selection of beers which show off the Aussie scene. Most of the beers I'll be bringing will show off Aussie and Kiwi hops since they are so distinct and nobody back home has really adopted them, but I'll be bringing back very solid examples of other styles as well. Does anybody have any opinions on what's really shining at the moment here? Can anyone think of a beer or two that really stands out for particular reasons and needs to be tried by others?

I was thinking La Sirene, Pacific Ale, and Hop Hog fit the criteria quite well at the moment, but I'm looking for more input on the matter.

2. spicelab

spicelab Savant (450) Australia Nov 6, 2009

Bridge Road India Saison. The Galaxy hops are very distinctive and very Aussie.

3. Kooinda Black IPA. Make sure it is less than a month old though, superb when it is (any good beer shop should tell you how recently the stock came in).

4. foles

foles Savant (430) Australia Jan 28, 2007

Mountain Goat Steam Ale - a classic in my books. So delicate and well made.

5. Thorogood's Billy B's Golden Malted Apple Beer (now available in 500ml bottles). Supposedly both spontaneously fermented and made from an extract. Crazy and great.

tbeckett likes this.
  6. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Savant (365) Australia Nov 29, 2008

^ I wholeheartedly endorse Billy B's and add that you should probably take a Rex attitude or two just to freak out some squares/possibly change lives.

7. mulder1010

mulder1010 Advocate (605) Australia Aug 29, 2008

Stone and Wood Pacific Ale, Billy B's Golden, and Murray's Anniversary Ale 6.
    Another route is the Mikkeller/ Mountain Goat Black Pepperberry beer and the Mikkeller/ Bridge Roads Dark Harvest.
    Street cred for stuff that is not in North America;)

8. I had someone show me how great that was a few weeks back. I was blown away. Pretty good stuff and apparently good trade bait.

9. The only things we get where I live are VB and Coopers Sparkling so that level of rarity isn't required.

Hoppsbabo likes this.
  10. joecast

joecast Advocate (570) Australia Jun 30, 2003

The big three from Coopers (green, red, yellow). Stone and Wood. Knappstein reserve lager. Maybe Mt Goat steam.

11. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

Hop Hog, Pacific Ale, Velvet Sledgehammer, Knappstein Reserve, Holgate Temptress (I've found can be hit and miss - sometimes lots of chocolate, sometimes not, but when it's right....).

That way you have Lager, a couple of ales, porter and stout covered.

You then open a Murray's Anniversary and forget what you had in the first place.

12. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

XXXX Gold, #1 drunk beer in Australia.

Rivals Bundy as the best beverage.

13. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

Last week you said Dry Dock was the best beer. Make up your mind. It gets confusing when I have to keep changing the beers in the gift pack im sending you.

14. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (630) Australia Dec 29, 2006

I find Pacific Ale needs to be really fresh. Some bottles I've found the hop flavour to really fade/deteriorate in a pretty short space of time.

Wild Thing, whilst not representative of any Australian uniqueness, is top quality. If you need any, let me know and I'll send it down.

15. id say definitely the pacific, hog and la sirene as you said, fantastic beverages. but as for the steam ale and coopers that people have mentioned maybe not so much.. i mean stay as craft as possible and think about what canada has to offer rather than the beers people just suggest. being in canada at the moment i find any craft beer store will be able to match australia mostly beer for beer in some way or another. i think the mikkeller/mt goat collab would be a great choice and something unique.. cannot think of anything great off the top of my head but i mean rogue brewery just thrown out the bacon/doughnut a while back, R&B from bc just won gold with their bacon stout. maybe there is something back home that showcases a brewery being able to influence food into beer? havnt been home in a bit but would be really nice.