1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers similar to KBS

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by djrn2, Apr 5, 2013.

1. djrn2

djrn2 Champion (780) New Jersey Nov 4, 2009

Im tring to set up a blind taste test and need some beers similar to KBS. Suggestions?
  2. riotinmyskull

riotinmyskull Savant (290) Virginia Dec 15, 2011

Alewerks Cafe Royale
    Hardywood Bourbon Sidamo
    Goose Island Bourbon County Coffee Stout
    Epic Big Bad Baptist
    Bell's Black Note Stout
    Firestone Walker Parabola
  3. Central Waters - Peruvian Morning
  4. BA Old Rasputin XV was very similar although expensive.
    ressling likes this.
  5. unclejazz

unclejazz Advocate (510) New York Oct 24, 2011

6. Holsie

Holsie Initiate (0) South Carolina Jun 27, 2012

Olde Hickory Event Horizon--extremely well done from a small craft brewer in NC. Try it.
    legend8706 and fredmugs like this.
  7. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I had KBS at the release party and did not find it "hot" or "boozy" at all like I did with BCBS and Black Note. I don't think those are good similarities. I had Peruvian Morning and Event Horizon at the KBS bottle share party and those were amazing and, IMO, better comparisons.
  8. I don't know if you can get it, but New Holland Dragon's Milk is decent.
  9. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Peruvian morning is the closest I've had. That's a great beer
  10. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Big bad Baptist,
  11. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Big Bad Baptist was pretty damn good.
    AnotherImperial and Bonis like this.
  12. ^ This
  13. Jack's Abby Bourbon Barrel-Aged Framinghammer
    Rekrule likes this.
  14. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

I love BBB, really, I do... but I haven't found a batch yet that actually tastes like bourbon.
    Sure, tons of chocolate, espresso, malt. It's a delicious beer, but not a lot of bourbon character.
    j47paco, camil1mj and deuce9259 like this.
  15. Just had the Jacks Abby last night. Very close to KBS
  16. Most bourbon barrel-aged stouts have really rough edges (which I kind of like). I've never come across anything as smooth as KBS (except for CBS and Against the Grain's Bo & Luke, which you'll likely never find). I've never had Peruvian Morning, but I have heard from numerous people that it's the closest thing they've come across.

Since nobody else has mentioned it, I'll throw Hoppin' Frog's Barrel-Aged BORIS the Crusher out there. It's not in the same league as KBS drinkability-wise (or flavor-wise since it's not a coffee stout), but it is a really nice beer that's found on shelves and therefore not hard to find or trade for.

Weyerbacher Heresy is also very easy to find. It lacks the body and intensity of flavor that KBS has, but it is pretty smooth (almost like a barrel-aged porter).
    Sludgeman and YaKnowBrady like this.
  17. This year's FBS is very similar to this year's KBS.
    gcamparone likes this.
  18. Peruvian Morning is really amazing and very much under the radar, until now. My liquor store guy actually recommended it to me. We were talking about BBA stouts and my reluctance to open my BCBS. He said try this one first. He also said it is so perfectly smooth that, if he had nowhere to go, he could sip on them all day long. Now that I've had both, he's right. (Plus, Central Waters offers up no InBev guilt;)). I do want to try KBS because I am such a fan of Breakfast Stout. With all the other BBA stouts people you great BA's are listing here, the KBS whale can swim off into the sunset this year with no regrets. My whale hunting skills are modest, at best.
    SourAddict likes this.
  19. adamant1912

adamant1912 Savant (395) Michigan Jan 10, 2010

I've been hoarding one of these since I passed through NC last January per recommendation by the dude at Binnys.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  20. GoBlue12

GoBlue12 Aficionado (210) Illinois Mar 26, 2013

In addition to Peruvian Morning, I had a bottle of Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout last night. I thought it was also a pretty good comparison to KBS (which I had the night before). Similar aroma and appearance. Taste was a little more toned-down IMO.
  21. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (625) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Lies!
    The guy has a serious question. If I was serious, and someone put these two as close suggestions for a side by side, I would be pissed at them. Although, I would have just had two top notch, world class beers that taste nothing alike...
    Anyway I plus one to BBPt5th by Dark Horse although you would have to do some trades for it. It would be sweet in a side by side tasting to also have a 12'oz Bell's Blacknote as well, but these are both very hard to come by.
    Enjoy the tasting. Sounds wonderful!
  22. nineball

nineball Aficionado (130) New York Mar 19, 2013

No offense meant whatsoever, but no way in hell is that true
  23. Expensive, but Older Viscosity is similar IMO and very, very good.
    Rekrule, 2beerdogs and MrRockstar like this.
  24. Technically, ``this year's FBS'' hasn't been released yet, so maybe he knows something we don't.

On the other hand, he's fulla shit.
  25. biga7346

biga7346 Savant (255) Michigan Jun 19, 2010

Big bad baptist and parabola are probably the closest to KBS I have had, they're more balanced, not as sweet and boozy as BCS or BBPT5th IMO
  26. owen49

owen49 Aficionado (145) Ohio Jun 13, 2009

You know the way that some people want everyone to shut up about Tilquin Gueuze and 3F Oude Geuze just sitting on shelves?

That's how I'm feeling about everyone here talking up Big Bad Baptist.
    AnotherImperial, szmnnl99 and ESeab like this.
  27. Can't say I've had anything that's quite as similar to KBS. I'd imagine I'd be able to tell the difference 9 times out of 10 in a blind taste test. The key to drinking KBS is letting it be close to room temperature when you drink it. When you do that, 4 to 5 different flavors come through. If you drink it while it's cold you'll miss out on it. The one beer I get the bourbon, malt and vanilla taste just as well from and is almost just as good as KBS is Backwoods Bastard. However, those are two different styles.
  28. loweball727

loweball727 Aficionado (195) Ohio Apr 26, 2010

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S.
  29. I third CW Peruvian Morning and the price is right too.
    ObiWanKushnobi and creepinjeeper like this.
  30. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

If you can find a non-infected bottle, PM is great. Big problem w/ bottles again this year, check our the Great Lakes/Midwest forum for details
  31. Peruvian Morning is a Joke. Why seek out a beer that has a very good chance of being infected and sour? Second year in a row I've been burned by that beer. KBS is also 3 tiers above it, even when its good.
  32. Buff0910

Buff0910 Savant (390) Alabama Jan 20, 2013

Am trying central waters barrel reserve tonight so will report back, but as someone else said I find KBS to be much less boozy and more coffee forward than black note. Also am trying BCBCS this weekend for the first time and will try side by side if I get more KBS today.
  33. I've had 6 bottles so far and no infection in any bottle.
  34. I purchased a case at the Anniversary party in January and all have been great so far. The additional time in the barrel this year really bumped this beer up a notch. Hope the infection issues get taken care of.
  35. I didn't think KBS lived up to the hype. However, I did drink a Dragon's Milk after a KBS and the KBS blew it out of the water. I used to really like DM, but it tasted like coconut and.chocolate nastiness.
  36. A lot of the ones being offered here do not have the coffee aspect to it. Like BCBS or BBPt5. They are close, but you are really missing the coffee. So far the ones that I think offer up the most would be BCBCS and PM.
    Mothergoose03 likes this.
  37. wake n bake kinda sorta
  38. I see you're from Jersey so you might be able to find Weyerbacher Heresy pretty easily. Not as good as KBS but I guess your blind palates will have the final say.
    GratefulJack likes this.
  39. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

Im glad some PM is fine, however there are way to many reports out there of bad bottles to kiss twelve bucks goodbye for possible drainpours.
  40. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

\\

More like FBS without the Bourbon influence, IMO W&B is superior. The Bourbon influence is what separates KBS from the other purly coffee stouts.