1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers Similar to Saint Arnolds DR12?

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by TakeFlight, Feb 17, 2013.

1. TakeFlight

TakeFlight Aspirant (45) Texas Feb 17, 2013

Does anyone know of any beers that are similar in taste to DR12? I would like to age it, but don't think I have the will power not to finish off my stash. Just wondering if there are any beers that are pretty similar that are readily available.
  2. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Look for North Coast Old Stock. They are in four packs that can be found pretty easily. Also Great Divide Hibernation is another good one. Six packs of that should still be sitting around.
    mrkmrk, wsnich and pwsoldier like this.
  3. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (255) Texas Sep 6, 2010

Every now and then you can still find some 2011 Old Stock sitting around too. That'll give you an idea of what this should develop in to eventually. and maybe help you let it age a bit.
  4. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Comparing DR12 to Old Stock Ale is insulting to Old Stock Ale.
    tofuspeedstar, jsboots21 and lokieman like this.
  5. Cablejelly

:cool:
  6. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

I am not a huge fan of DR12 either, but come on, do people really have to diss on Saint Arnold every chance they get? The guy likes it, and wants other Old Ales. Not to hard to give a few recommendations.
    boogercrack, Ford and wsnich like this.
  7. Lutter

... I'd say that was a recommendation for Old Stock Ale. ;)

And I'll diss any beer I want to. :p

Here's a recommendation that might be coming soon to TX: Founders' Curmudgeon.
  8. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

Tried one yesterday, and it has started to develop quite nicely... Much better then when released
  9. Grendle

Grendle Aficionado (220) Texas Apr 11, 2012

It clearly asked for similar beers to DR12 and yes you can diss any beer you want but why $hit on a beer someone likes?
    cfh64, HoustonZ33 and champ103 like this.
  10. Eel River Triple Exultation!! Their 2007 vintage version picked up gold at GABF this year in vintage ale category. But if you drink it now you will not be disappointed one bit.
    champ103 likes this.
  11. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Savant (325) Texas Sep 10, 2012

OP: Hello my friend lol - We're in the same boat. Old Stock Ale is not DR12, Not even close - It's wayyyyy stronger... Same with Hibernation Ale.

I've done a LOT of the Legwork for you, Trust me lol - The closest thing I've had to DR12 is Real Ale Devil's Backbone however it's still not quite it but, I've heard that Founder's Curmudgeon Old Ale is a Dead Ringer for DR12 and I'm prolly gonna catch hell on here for saying this but, I've even heard some say DR12 = "St. Arnold's Curmudgeon"

Problem is Founder's isn't sold in Texas (yet) and it's a Limited Seasonal Beer so it's gonna take some trades to get it until Founder's is sold in Texas around April - May of this year. Also, Curmudgeon is only sold March/April then it's gone - We'd prolly won't see it on shelves here in Houston till March/April 2014 sadly.

I've had the Barrel Aged Version of Curmudgeon (called Curmudgeon's Better Half) and, I'm happy to report that it appears to be true. Tasted like a sweeter DR12 with Bourbon to me. As a fellow DR12 lover, let me know if you find anything in the meantime.

For what it's worth Curmudgeon Old Ale will start hitting shelves up north in March, I'm from Cleveland, OH so I have friends that send me goodies from time to time. Once I try it I'll be happy to report my findings.
  12. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (350) Texas May 17, 2012

o_O
  13. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Fullers Vintage Ale
  14. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Isn't that a Tripel...? That tastes nothing like DR12...?
    blatherbeard likes this.
  15. Cablejelly

I was thinking the same.
    blatherbeard likes this.
  16. videofrog

videofrog Savant (470) Texas Nov 13, 2010

They both have that chocolately goodness.;)

Lutter likes this.
  17. HoustonZ33

It tastes similar to me lol
  18. TakeFlight

lol, yeah Devil's Backbone is not what I'm looking for. Thanks everyone for all the ole ale recommendations. Sounds like the first 2 suggestions are the most readily available, whether they actually resemble DR12 or not.
  19. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

The only reason I watched that until the end is because I was hoping he used one of those knives to impale himself in the neck.

Back on track, I have to agree Old Stock and Old Crumbuttler are very good. Never had DR12 and unfortunatley the only other Old Ale I have had is Jasperilla, which is OK, maybe worth trying.
    blatherbeard likes this.
  20. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Is this years out?
  21. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

I do not know, I have not had it in a while.
    I did not see it at the Smith St Specs the other day, or I probably would have picked it up.
  22. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

I imagine it's probably last year's...didn't exactly fly off the shelf
  23. mattisloco

Thanks. I kind of enjoyed the last one I had a year or so ago. Someone at Whip In told me to sit on it a year, I did and found it worth drinking... I didn't enjoy the fresh one as much.
  24. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Savant (250) Texas Aug 16, 2010

I am insane now Chuck.
  25. mattisloco

He really is something special
  26. Lutter

Hahaha, this guy is an awesome reviewer.
  27. HoustonZ33

I just cracked a 12oz DR12 open tonight, this is NOT the same beer I knew and loved anymore - it's getting really strong, really bitter and just rougher overall. (and, I think I was spoiled by Better Half)

It used to have that nice creamy and buttery bread taste to it - That shit is gone. It's starting to taste more like all the other Old Ales and Barleywines out there.

If Curmudgeon really is as good as I've always been told it is - I'm prolly going to unload my Stash here in a bit and replace it all with Curmudgeon.
  28. Cablejelly

I don't know if I loved it as much as you did when it was fresh but I had one about 3-4 weeks ago and it did take a turn for the worse. I figured it was at a stage that I just won't enjoy so I'd hold the rest for a few more months before sampling it again. It was known right off the bat that this was meant to age, SA released it with that recommendation... I was hoping to see this develop into something amazing throughout the years but this last one was sub-par at best.
    HoustonZ33 likes this.
  29. Paleo-pepperoni and pale ale is da bomb...punch you in the mouth!
    mattisloco likes this.
  30. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (260) Texas Jan 22, 2013

Not RA's Devil's Backbone.

Haven't tried NC's Old Stock or GD's Hibernation.

Just had Avery's Grand Cru and thought it was much better but very similar.
  31. TakeFlight

UPDATE:

I have tried a couple of the recommendations here.

Eel River - Triple Exultation
    This did not hit the mark for me. It is a decent beer, it just isn't very similar to DR12, and thus maybe not typical of the Old Ale style. Much heavier and darker. Has a roasted malt taste to it. Was just too heavy and dark for my taste.

North Coast - Old Stock
    Tried 2011 and a 2012. This one is a winner. Very similar in essence to DR12. Similar fruity notes and fairly light body, but a little bit darker. Overall just has more depth to it than DR12. I tried a DR12 again and it just seems sort of one note in comparison. Found this at a couple different Spec's so it must be readily available which is what I was hoping for!
    mattisloco likes this.
  32. HoustonZ33

Add Founder's Curmudgeon to that list. I can now drink the rest of my DR12.
  33. TakeFlight

Thanks, do you know the status of finding this in Texas?
  34. corbey

corbey Aficionado (160) Texas Oct 22, 2006

Agreed. I opened a bomber of DR12 on Saturday, as part of a tasting, and was surprised how well it's matured. Now I wish I had more of it!
  35. TakeFlight

Like I mentioned above, look for North Coast - Old Stock Ale. Will provide similar taste...better IMO.
  36. HoustonZ33

We won't see this in Texas till March 2014. I have a 4 pack left of this years batch if you wanna talk shop, BM me.
  37. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

It's possible to see this sooner. Depends on how much they made and if any is scraggling behind. Was an easy find months after April last year.

I've still got 4 2012s waiting until the mood strikes... :)
    HoustonZ33 and tx_beer_man like this.
  38. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (260) Texas Jan 22, 2013

Strike!

Baseball season starts in 7 days.
  39. HoustonZ33

Trade you a 13 for a 12?
  40. TakeFlight

Another update:

Tried a 2011 Independence Brewing Co. - Jasperilla

Was good! Similar light body and light color as DR12. It is a little different tasting than DR12 and Old Stock, which have similar flavor profiles. This beer tastes like honey! Seriously. I can tell it is in the same ballpark as an old ale like the DR12, but it has a distinct flavor of honey. Would buy again.