1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers That Just Don't Taste the Same to You

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by starrdogg, Feb 18, 2013.

1. I'm a huge DIPA fan, and two of the beers that really got me excited about craft beer a few years back were Bell's Hopslam and 3 Floyds' Dreadnaught. If you would've asked me 2-3 years ago what my favorite beer was, both would've been in serious consideration for the top spot.

I've now had both beers several times over the last year, and neither one tastes nearly as good as it used to. They're both still very solid beers, but there's no way I'd think of them as favorites anymore. I don't know if there was an actual change in the recipes of these beers, or if drinking lots of Hill Farmstead, Alpine, Heady Topper and Abrasive has just given me a different perspective on DIPAs. So I guess this post leads to two questions:

1) What beers did you once love that don't taste the same to you anymore?
    2) For those who have been drinking Hopslam and Dreadnaught for 3+ years, have you noticed a change in those beers?
  2. You DEFINITELY got a different perspective. It's happened to me too - the only one on your list I haven't had is Abrasive.
  3. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (750) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

4. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (630) New York Mar 21, 2010

Sculpin
    jimmy2282, Trilogy31 and Arbitrator like this.
  5. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (405) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

I think as you sample more beers it is natural to have your tastes change along with it. I think back to some foods I loved as a kid and I would never buy them now for regular consumption ex. Hot dogs. Doesn't mean I don't still like hopslam or dreadnaught, but when stacked up to Heady or Abrasive they just aren't as good, in my opinion...
    JohnnyMc likes this.
  6. Back when I knew nothing about craft beer, I had this beer called Honey Brown Lager and I thought it was the best thing ever. Beer brewed with honey how awesome was that ? After a couple of years of drinking a lot craft beers I revisited that beer again and it tasted awful and I couldnt believe I onced liked it.
    BeerKangaroo and Hopsiam14 like this.
  7. Sam Adams Winter Lager. Every year I buy it. And every year I'm disappointed that it doesn't taste like when I first got into it. 2002/3
  8. Also I had Brooklyn Lager a few times and a year later I had it from a 16oz can and it didnt taste how I remembered it.
  9. Hopslam. Used to be the top of the top. With all the good IPA's and DIPA's out there now, this one is very boozy to me now.
  10. cway2031

cway2031 Zealot (90) Illinois Jan 27, 2013

I think that it is very interesting that you mentioned both of those two beers. I actually find them to be very similar DIPAS as both have a honeyed characteristic to me. But I think with craft beer evolving, they are no longer as special as they were just a few years ago. I think both beers raised the bar for the style, but that the bar has been raised further by others (Rye da Tiger blows Dreadnaught away IMO. I drank them both side by side at Map Room last night before being asked to leave because I drunkenly carried my beer outside with me when I went to grab a smoke out of my car parked down the street(But I digress). Anyway, as I drank them both I realized that the popular flavor profile of big IPAs is always in flux.

It is not simply that our palates evolved, the entire style has evolved. Just ad all styles are constantly evolving. It reminds me of the guy at Beer Temple who did a podcast on APAs. He showed Sierra Nevada, then Alpha King, then Zombie Dust in sequential order. He did an excellent job showing how within that particular style it has evolved over the last 20 years, and especially within the past three.

We are living in very exciting times. Out of the entire history of beer drinking, we live in greatest possible time to be alive. Just one of the many reasons I love beer. Beer, like technology is evolving at an ever faster rate. I'd venture to say that beer has evolved more in the last ten years, then in the previous 200. Exciting stuff,

And Map Room...I love you, man.
    quinnsi and beardown2489 like this.
  11. kpanter

kpanter Aficionado (210) Florida Nov 25, 2012

I'm right there with you OP. I agree that I think that my perspective has changed. It's because all of these juicy, citrusy DIPAs are much better tasting (IMO of course) than a typical DIPA/IPA. It's seems other BA's agree placing Heady, Abrasive, HF, and Alpine at the top of that DIPA list...
  12. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

The one that sticks out in my mind is Victory Golden Monkey. I really liked it at one point. Now I don't really even consider it at all.
  13. THIS. In my early-mid 20's I used to seriously love Winter Lager, and at the first sight of its release I would sit at the kitchen table with my roommates and just throw'em back. When I taste it now, it doesn't seem quite the same... Still have those good memories though.
    Revenant, Pecan, ESeab and 1 other person like this.
  14. That one has definitely changed since its inception-so it's not about perception. It used to be of a higher gravity with a generous amount of saaz hops on the nose. Now it's quite a bit lighter and, if anything, you get spices in the aroma, not hops.
    jbertsch likes this.
  15. One interesting note, while I don't enjoy Hopslam and Dreadnaught like I used to, I like Two Hearted and Gumballhead as much, if not more than I did when I first had them.
  16. Thank you for that. Was afraid it was me.
  17. I used to really love NB Fat Tire (I def still enjoy it), but I bought a 12 pack about a month ago and was REALLY surprised how "plain" it was. I know it's a pretty standard beer in regards to style, but I seriously didn't remember it tasting so bland.
  18. Had my first Ruination last night in almost a year. Sadly it wasn't what I remembered.
  19. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Advocate (530) Illinois Jan 14, 2013

When I was back in college around 2003, my roommates and I had beer night every Wednesday to try "new" stuff. It was definitely before the craft beer boom, and I got Upland Wheat every chance I could. I still pick up a 6er once in awhile when I'm down for FB games. It just isn't the same though. It is better on draft though. Either way, my tastes have certainly grown over the past decade.
  20. Victory Headwaters---used to love it...but i think my palate has developed and now it just tastes off...another one would be ruthless rye.
    waddellc2 likes this.
  21. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

youngs double chocolate stout used to be amazing, now it tastes like roasted blood. I swear to god the recipe changed.
  22. I think ten fidy tastes different to me....Or maybe it was just the last 4 pack....it was like a kitchen sink flavor
  23. Weird and gross. I've been lucky. They all tasted like cocoa to me.
  24. I've had some Ten Fidy that certainly tastes metallic before, though there doesn't seem to be much consistency to when I've come across it.
  25. I had an oldish bottle of Hop Wallop one time, and I was impressed with how delicate and drinkable it was. Very grapefruity in a pleasant way.

Then I had a fresher bottle some time later, and BAM! Tasted like detergent.
  26. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (465) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

As your frame of reference changes, so does your perception of the beer. Same reason why I wasn't blown away the first time I tried Pliny the Elder. I have has so many DIPAs that it tasted pretty much the way I expected it to. Great but what I was expecting. The first time I tried Hopslam I was pretty much floored because I had never really had another DIPA before then and I had no expectation at all.
  27. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

Weyerbacher Insanity

In 2011, beautiful beer.. bold, well balanced, good dose of bourbon and oak character with sweet maltiness and absence of esters. (9.5/10)

In 2012, not so much.. unbalanced, not enough bourbon or oak character, overplayed by fruity fermentation esters from (I'm guessing) an English yeast strain. (6/10)

Huge difference, not particularly happy with my purchase =/ although maybe it is my palate that has evolved, not the beer.. Not really sure what the culprit is.
  28. Did it change on you when the Young's Ram brewery closed and production moved to Charlie Wells?
  29. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Had some a couple weeks ago, tasted the same to me. Your retailer trying to push old stock?
  30. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

No I'd say it was in early 2012 that it started tasting different to me - purchased several bottles at various shops in town to see and they all tasted weird. Maybe I just got a bad batch, but I do recall a couple others on here stating similar experiences.

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/little-known-stouts.62406/page-2#post-850074
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...ve-had-diverse-experiences.62357/#post-848273
  31. alucard6679

alucard6679 Savant (260) Arizona Jul 29, 2012

I was thinking the same thing last time I picked some up, but I had it on tap last night and I thought it was amazing. Definitely prefer it over can
  32. Pecan

Pecan Savant (410) California Dec 20, 2012

Same. I used to absolutely die for this stuff. My college roommate and I would buy a few cases once we saw it was available and spend a couple days drinking the hell out of it. Still don't mind it, but wouldn't really pay to drink it.

Also used to really enjoy Dos Equis dark during early college... It fell even further from it's pedestal. Will not drink that one any more.
  33. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

It's funny to me that you mention Hopslam, because I did have a dramatically different opinion of it this year.

Honestly, the last two years, I thought Hopslam was just boozy and not all that special. This year I've only had one, on draft, and it was fantastic. Dreadnaught has been my favorite local IPA for a long time, and I feel that it's still great when I buy it at the brewery, but every once in a while I get it on draft locally, or get a bomber somewhere, and it tastes stale and has fallen off. We had one this past summer that was plainly crap. But I think that's a matter of it sitting on a shelf too long.

And remember that some seasonal beers are knowingly brewed differently each year...
  34. sil1

sil1 Aficionado (235) California May 19, 2012

Hopslam
    Hopstoopid
    Almost all stone beers. (few exceptions)
    Sculpin
  35. sil1

sil1 Aficionado (235) California May 19, 2012

Can add knuckle sandwich to that as well
  36. zestd

zestd Savant (320) Idaho Jan 18, 2013

Even from the span of one year I really dug Kona's Koko Brown. I had a fresh one off draft and it was a lot thinner in body and simplistic than I remember. Speaking of other's SA experiences, I used to love the Summer ale. Now it's an overly spiced, non-refreshing mess.
    keithmurray likes this.
  37. You're probably not aware of the mind can play tricks on you. Ever hear of a self-fulfilling prophecy? You think therefore it is.
  38. The most noticeable one in my book is Sculpin. It's nowhere near as good as it used to be.
    Trilogy31 likes this.
  39. Jadjunk

Jadjunk Savant (345) Georgia Dec 6, 2009

This is such a sad thread, it makes me want to cry.

Sam Adams Summer Ale
    Kona Pipeline Porter
    codasnap52 likes this.
  40. Nugget Nectar most recently, tastes like a malt bomb. Maybe it's just old.