1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers That Just Don't Taste the Same to You

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by starrdogg, Feb 18, 2013.

1. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

Dfh 90min

2. Had the same experience myself.

3. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

Samuel Smith Taddy Porter and Imperial Stout. A couple years ago I considered these some of my favorite brews. Flavorful yet drinkable. Now all I get is metallic taste from them. Ugh.

4. I went through my early and mid twenties drinking BMC. I don't think it ever really tasted good but it's hard to chug down like I used to.

I got into craft drinking a lot of Sam Adams as it seems a lot of other people did. I outgrew them for better quality beers but it seems like there was a downturn in quality after that. Maybe 3-4 years ago when SA bought out the Cincinnati brewery and expanded production out there it seems like QC really fell off and the beers went from being bland to being undrinkable. It was like one year winter ale was ok and the next it was a total drain pour.

5. codasnap52

codasnap52 Savant (305) Connecticut Jan 24, 2008

1) Sam Summer
    2) Sam Winter
    3) Sam Octoberfest

Sigh :(

6. How about an opposite effect? I remember trying Arrogant Bastard in my youth and wondering WTF did I just put in my mouth?!?! And i tried it again a few months ago, now that homebrew and craft have enveloped my tastebuds in a blanket of wonder, and I must say I enjoyed The AB much more now that my palate has evolved!!

BlackBelt5112203 likes this.
  7. My girlfriend makes fun of me for when I used to say Coors Light was my "favorite" beer.

Yikes. Times have changed for the better. Minus the hit that my bank account's taken.

Smokebox_79 likes this.