Beers that make you drunk for no particular reason...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JamesShoemaker, Jan 11, 2013.

1. It seems that certain beers, regardless of their alcohol content, can sneak up on you and get you drunk faster than others. For me, one of these beers is Hopslam. Its 10% is no meager offering, but 36 oz of, say, Leviathan or Hercules (both 10%) doesn't take me to the same level of drunkenness as three bottles of Hopslam.

Is this mystery? Is it science, ingredients, or subjective experience?

2. I vote for subjective experience. Alcohol is alcohol. Humans are all different. I have come to this decision because there are times when the same beer has a different effect depending on my mood, hunger level, etc.

3. You probably had more/less food in your system, had more/less water in your system, or had more/less some other variable that influences intoxication levels in your system while you enjoyed the aforementioned different beers.

Do this....on three consecutive days eat the same meal, with the same amount of water after a typical day (with roughly the same amounf of exericse and stress level) in the same location. Drink a hopslam on the first day you do this, a Leviathan on the second and a Hercules on the third.

I guarantee you feel exactly the same each time.

PaulQuinn and djaeon like this.
  4. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Zima.
    I swear I must be loaded when I reach for a 2nd.... o_O

5. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) Illinois Apr 7, 2011

Natural ice always does this, I just don't get it!

DaKur likes this.
  6. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Three bottles of Hopslam sounds like someone who drinks to get drunk. That you're surprised about the consequence regardless of the subject of the matter seems absurd, and empty.

7. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Rate of consumption or other food or substances in your system would be the only difference. Maybe you are just happier drinking Hopslam so the buzz feels better.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  8. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I think it might be similar to why I feel a different buzz from wine or liquor than I do from beer, but I'm no scientist.

Luk13 and BeerKangaroo like this.
  9. This.
    Body weight, hydration, digestives, interval of time spent consuming are all significant factors. Then there's also placebo effect to consider (i.e. wow, this beer is better because it was hard to get and/or expensive, has 'slam' in it's name so it must be BIG --> drunker).

Also, I don't homebrew and would expect professionals to have much tighter controls on controlling for/measuring %abv, but we're all human, right? I've always figured that something labeled 10%abv will have some, hopefully small, variation & be expected a wee under/over from batch to batch, but on average the brew should be in the neighborhood of 10%abv.

Maybe I'm wrong.

10. Hopslam has done this to me a number of times under a number of different circumstances (i.e. weight gain/loss, food intake, etc.). However, it may be a perfect storm of coincidences that makes me drunker on it. I'm going with placebo. I also like the idea that the word "slam" makes me drunk.

meanmutt and fujindemon74 like this.
  11. This is why the craft world needs "HopSmash", "HopCrush", "HopKrunk", or "HopBlaze" DIPAs in the the market.
    Everything's better when you're...

slamming shit...
    crushing shit...
    krunking shit...
    blazing shit...seriously

12. People have reported a slight buzz or euphoria from highly hopped brews, above and beyond the effects of the alcohol contained in the beer.

I have at times felt this, but it's probably all in my head.

MilkManX and FriarTuckInLuck like this.
  13. Brunite

Brunite Savant (430) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Wish I could get a buzz but I am so used to a few beers a night that nothing phases me. Closest I came was after drinking my first Narwahl in about 10 minutes. Super smooth.

14. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

15. Try using a funnel.

cwreay90, SammyJaxxxx and Schwantz like this.
  16. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

"For no particular reason" ?

You sure the 10% ABV doesn't have anything to do with it?

quirkzoo, SammyJaxxxx and Providence like this.
  17. Brunite

Brunite Savant (430) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Good suggestion, but, I'm not 22 anymore. Not really looking for impairment. Just saying that I usually feel nothing....which is fine. I really just drink for the taste and the appearance of refined sophistication I get whilst drinking craft beer from a tulip glass or snifter!

18. I wanna funnel a Hopslam.

luwak, SammyJaxxxx and Schwantz like this.
  19. Listen, big boy, you aren't trying hard enough:

20. 2009 Mirror Mirror messed me up after half the bottle. Had me walking into things after the full bottle. Terrible hangover too. BUT, awesome awesome barley wine. And I have 3 more to attempt killing myself with!

21. To tha fawkin' dome :cool:

At least he had the sense to admit afterwards he was a wee bit toasted.

Moutstainz and Dools9 like this.
  22. 1/2 a glass of Champagne gets me every time, but 3 bombers a night no problem.

23. Haha I haven't used a funnel in a decade, I just was giving you a way to catch a buzz if you so feel inclined. I usually have 3-4 beers max so I am in a similar boat as you.

24. I have felt this from Pliny, and only Pliny. Probably some "secret ingredients" in there.

SammyJaxxxx and fujindemon74 like this.
  25. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I'm thinking the base beer may be to blame. Your average ipa/iipa is a dry beer, most the sugars have been converted to alcohol, your "big beers" like ris and barleywines have alot more starches and complex sugars that do not get converted to alcohol. In theory, both beers may have 10% abv, but the lack of other starches in the IPA may lead to a more drunken effect simply because there is less "stomach adjucts" to mellow out the booze while drinking a RIS is more like eating a couple of slices of bread with your booze. I hope this makes sense...

26. Brewdog Sink the Bismarck.

I can't for the life of me figure out how a bottle of this stuff got me so drunk :confused:

beerborn and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  27. arfenhouse

arfenhouse Savant (285) California Oct 29, 2012

If it's not due to amount of food in your stomach or you hydration level it's probably due to your 'set' and/or 'setting'.

'Set' is the mental state a person brings to the experience, like thoughts, mood and expectations. 'Setting' is the physical and social environment.

Other factors such as carbonation may also be at play here.

luwak and fujindemon74 like this.
  28. Duvel....for sure

DelMontiac and tabascosigned like this.
  29. rhartogsq

rhartogsq Savant (330) Virginia Jun 18, 2010

For some reason Racer 5 just hits me hard and fast. Sadly I don't realize it until it is too late..I was nervous about Racer X.

30. Someone should make HopBoner and tell everyone it's to enhance sexual performance. You laugh, but the power of suggestion would work on someone. Guaranteed.

MilkManX and fujindemon74 like this.
  31. As I drink, my thoughts drift, my mood elevates, and therefore my expectations are generally met.

32. As I am pushing 40, I chuckle every time I grab a can of Old Chub.

luwak, jglowe77, Sazz9 and 4 others like this.
  33. Great Divide 18th Anniversary Wood Aged IPA....it knocked me for a loop. Very tasty though, it reminded me of a barleywine with a hoppy finish.

jglowe77 and fujindemon74 like this.
  34. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Savant (250) Texas Aug 16, 2010

Buzzkill.

35. 6oz of utopias.. Every single time. I just can't handle that shit :D

OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  36. Deviant Dales does this to me. I've had it on multiple occasions and it always seems to pack more of a wallop then the abv would lead me to believe. Yes I know there are many factors that go into how drunk you feel besides the amount of alcohol consumed, but I've been drinking for years and have a pretty good understanding of how my body reacts to alcohol. It just seems to react more to deviant dales.

37. I don't know what it was, but the last time I went to Kuhnhenn and had two BB4D I was pretty toasted.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  38. I think the effect of food slowing down alcohol absorption is more about it soaking up and blocking alcohol from getting further downstream. I don't think it has much to do with your stomach being too busy absorbing sugar. And hopefully there shouldn't be much starch at all in beer. The starch from the grain should have been broken down in the mashing process.

39. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

If all the starch gets broken down and fermented then how do you get beers with high final gravity? My idea isn't so much that the alchol just slips by because your stomach is busy, but that your body isn't as affected by the alcohol because your body is metabolizing other sugars as well. High fg beer = less drunk feeling, lower fg beer = more drunk feeling with the same abv.

40. When the starches are broken down in the mash, they are converted by different enzymes to simple and complex sugars. Some are fermentable and some aren't, the unfermentable sugars what is left behind.