1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers that make you drunk for no particular reason...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JamesShoemaker, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Beerpharmer

Beerpharmer Zealot (95) New Jersey Apr 22, 2010

I think it might be true. I have felt a buzz when I haven't even had half a bottle of certain beers. And I'm a big guy.

I thought the euphoria just came from the love of beer. Glad to hear I'm not the only one
  2. jeez.
    Three bottles of Hopslam sounds like someone who bought Hopslam and likes to drink it.
    I know the feeling.
  3. Beyond the alcohol, of course. 10% is a slap in the face, but there must be something more!
  4. I'm sometimes concerned about the amount of alcohol I drink, but I take comfort in the following fact:

I see Hopslam on the shelf for the first time since I've really gotten into craft, I buy a six pack, I go home to my family and, sharing with my brother and my mother, I consume three 12 oz bottles over a period of approximately four hours. I wake up this morning wanting to share an experience with my fellow BAs, many of whom graciously post in my thread. What this experience says is that I may be an alcoholic, but it's unlikely. What's likelier is that I was excited to see a particularly renowned craft beer as a visitor to Michigan and that I wanted to share my appreciation for Hopslam with both my family and these fine BAs.

What your post says is that you are definitely judgmental and should worry about the fact that life is too short to have only one every night, particularly when you have the opportunity to share great beer with great people.

Cheers.
  5. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Exactly my point. So while youur body is forced to metabilize these sugars in addition to the alcohol my idea is that you don't feel as drunk as you would metabolizing just the alcohol. Additionally the extra sugars may slow down the bodys ability to metabolize the alcohol as fast, a possible "slow release" beer if you will.
  6. science your hopslam has more hops. hops contain an extra type of alcohol.
  7. I think you're confusing terms. You're body metabolizes alcohol to get rid of it (and use it's energy). The alcohol just passes into your blood stream via your stomach or intestines, it doesn't have to be digested.
  8. I drank a 4 calling birds to myself the other night and got really drunk. That was fun.
    Skunkdrool likes this.
  9. For some reason, a six-pack of Samichlaus gets me everytime. :confused:
  10. HOMEPL8

HOMEPL8 Aficionado (220) Virginia Dec 26, 2010

Judgemental much? You feel good now?
    Skunkdrool likes this.
  11. This – hence the name, seems to hit you way harder than beer of comparable ABV, I believe that it is the carbonation.
  12. Colt .45 Double Malt Billie Dee Williams is twice the man!!!
  13. Skunkdrool

Skunkdrool Savant (460) California Jul 31, 2010

So do you drink half a bottle of Hopslam and pour the rest out cause youre afraid you might get a buzz? Cmon. Dont judge.
  14. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

yesterday a dupont Avec len Bons Voeux got me nice and happ on 1 750ml bottle
  15. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

What if you consumed them faster than other high abv beers you have tried? I would guess that I could drink 3 hopslams faster than I could drink 3 stouts, quads, barley wines ect.
    luwak likes this.
  16. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

I was being a cock. You're right. I love a nifty buzz is the truth, though I would never slam 3 Hopslams in one session. They are too precious.

Sorry to OP
    HOMEPL8 and Skunkdrool like this.
  17. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Funny thing is I didn't mention anything about stomach digestion in my last post.
  18. I know, but you used metabolize in a way indicate digestion, or some other process that doesn't have to go on with alcohol.

edit: What I mean is that alcohol does get metabolized, but it's the body's process of removing it.
  19. Am I the only one that got really thirsty after watching this?
  20. erikl48

erikl48 Savant (295) Pennsylvania Jun 29, 2011

Jolly pumpkin Noel...I know its around 9, but I only had 2 1/2....and I was on the floor!!!!
  21. For your first day, you sure aren't making any pals.
    Perhaps you should read a few more threads to get the hang of this here posting activities. :cool:
  22. Haha, I was going to say, three bottles of Hopslam sounds like a good idea.
  23. It sounds like an amazing idea! Three bottles of Hopslam isn't going to get you hammered. You might get a good buzz going and I certainly would not drive after drinking it (probably not even after one bottle) but I have certainly drank 3 or more hopslams in one night before.
  24. Bomber of La Terrible from Unibroue had me cold fucked up
  25. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

I imagine most people would get fairly buzzed from three bottles of a double digit abv beer, at the least. I guess consumption time also factors in, but still. Unless you are morbidly obese or drink a lot I guess. :p
  26. Speaking from experience, three Hopslams is a great idea.
  27. We have an early leader on Post of the year!!!!! My God, you are my hero... I have a great friend that's nose started bleeding as I read this. He used to drink this stuff and I was all over his arse all night. And that wasn't yesterday. I seriously thank you for the great post and stroll down memory lane. I will not be reading anymore of this thread as this is clearly the pinnacle of it's content.

[​IMG]
  28. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

If I'm at a beer bar with a good vibe I start to feel good after a beer or so. Not really drunk but definitely not sober. I think it's an environment thing along with your size and what you've eaten beforehand.
  29. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (380) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

I brewed a hoppy brown ale for an employee party, it weighed in at under 4% ABV. People would drink 2 or 3 pints and suddenly they were staggering and slurring their speech. There's no way they were drunk, it was placebo effect because it was homebrew(always very strong), dark(always strong) and hoppy(again, always strong)
  30. 12tb

12tb Zealot (95) Iowa May 18, 2011

Hopslam for me as well... two or three of those and I'm floored..
  31. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (620) New York Mar 21, 2010

I agree with the metaphysical opinions on here, but I distinctly remembering starting off my night with a can of Heady Topper and having it hit me very hard.
  32. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

I notice that I drink faster in a social environment like at bar, party or event.
  33. You mean people around here actually get drunk. I'm done with this website!
  34. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Brown shugga comes to mind. A funny story about abv. My friend who drinks only bud light was running his mouth about craft beers, saying that they were weak and packed no punch. I made a bet with him. The bet was he had to beer bong 2 of my craft beers to feel a buzz. He agreed and he even agreed to let me choose the beers. The winner got a case of beer of their choosing. I dug out the old beer bong, cleaned it and loaded it with 2 DFH 120s. He hit the bong, 20 minutes later we were carring him up the stairs. It was irresponsible, I know but damn it was funny. The dude can drink. Got a case of founders imperial out of it.
  35. BeerWizard

BeerWizard Savant (325) Colorado Dec 22, 2012

I've often wondered if the SN Pale Ale is actually more than a 5.6%. Of course, they wouldn't do that...would they?
  36. arcook11

arcook11 Aficionado (195) Missouri Nov 27, 2010

I have heard that if the brewery reports ABV on the bottle then it must be absolutely correct... by law. I have no idea if that is true.

Super IPA NB/Alpine colab rocked me each and every time.

Someone mentioned Racer X in this thread. That was my obsession/gateway beer. Halfway through the snifter I knew commercial beers were gone forever. I felt warm and cozy after just a few sips.

Hopslam comes to MO next week. I have cleared next Friday night so that I can drink 3 of them in a session. Did it last year and loved every minute of it.
  37. This happened to me last night. I opened a bottle of Scaldis Noel (11.2 oz. of a 12% beer), and not even half way through the bottle I was buzzed. I chalk up these instances to food, water, etc. in my system at the time of drinking.
  38. Two years ago, my roommate and I bought a six-pack of Pyramid snowcap. Not sure what kind of secret ingredient they put in but I PASSED OUT on the couch after having one bottle. I tried two more bottles in two other nights and same thing happened to me.

Question- Is it just me or what? Whenever I just want to get buzzed in a party real quick. I would still be sober after downing numerous crap beer/liquor. Yet if I just want to sit back and enjoy a nice stout by myself, 10oz would be more than enough to get me extreme buzz and asian glow.

Ooooh yea...anybody from east coast heard of a 160proof vodka called Devil's Spring? The label says "Do not drink at full proof" and they ain't messing around. Don't do it. I've made that mistake so you don't have to. You're welcome.
  39. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Don't sweat it James, Trust me, ThirstyFace isn't the only troll account you are likely to see posting on BA. And Hopslam sneaks up on you because of the honey IMHO. While malt sugars from the mash aren't fuilly converted to alcohol in the fermenter, honey sugar is. We have a local beer here called Super Kitty does the same thing for the same reason.

And to answer your question, Gulden Draak kicks my ass when I drink it, much above the ABV it possesses, and I don't know why either.
  40. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Lambic causes a sensation much greater than the sum of its parts
    luwak likes this.