1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers that make you sleepy.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Feb 6, 2013.

1. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

Yes, but the 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th beer will bring you back to life!!!

2. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

There Are 10 beers that make me sleepy... When I drink all ten at once I just can't stay awake. Or stand. They are, pretty much any 10 beers I drink in one sitting.

GoldenChild likes this.
  3. Samichlaus Dopplebock. Night night.

WILD-THING, Hophazzard and utopiajane like this.
  4. Willbfun

Willbfun Aficionado (150) New York Sep 28, 2012

I gotta say waking up and smelling half a glass of Epic's sour apple saison was quite nice. It went down real nice too. Prost!

5. Crafty of you to entirely reword my original post to suit your needs. Seriously though, it's the hops. Or at least that is what I was getting at. I shared a Pliny with my dad the other night and he went to bed two hours earlier than normal.

6. Nice to know that is probably good stuff. I bought some the other week and have yet to drink it. I got around to reading the reviews and they were not particularly favorable.

Willbfun likes this.
  7. TheBeerTruck

TheBeerTruck Savant (300) Michigan Feb 29, 2012

I'm glad this comment came so early in the feed. That saved me the time of reading through all of them to see if some one already made a comment similar to the one I wanted to make.

rustyeaton likes this.
  8. Axismundi

Axismundi Zealot (90) Illinois Jul 1, 2009

Steel reserve, Baltika #9, PBR. All of those make me feel woozy & sleepy then feel like total crap. Hoppy beers can make me feel pretty drowsy too, but not feel like crap. However, I no longer drink steel reserve, baltika or pbr (unless the pbr is free).

9. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Bcbs, always makes me sleepy, nothing to do with volume here, it's just a big beer limited to one.

MLDucky and MrSmitty like this.
  10. I'm pretty anal about having a nightcap after any drinking session. It's always got to be something dark. A barrel aged stout or coffee stout would be my first choice. A small amount of coffee won't keep me up at all. Oatmeal and chocolate stouts work well too.

11. All beers with a reasonable ABV make me sleepy. I'm a lightweight. After two or three I'm usually getting drowsy.

Hop-Droppen-Roll likes this.
  12. rgordon

rgordon Savant (420) North Carolina Apr 26, 2012

The key is to not get too sleepy too early. Read a bit, have an Aventinus.

13. Roxie_B

Roxie_B Savant (380) Alabama Jun 1, 2014

Beer in general makes me sleepy. This may be because I wait till my wee 'un is asleep so it's 9 o clock sometimes or later by the time I get to have my beer. One or two and I am done. This is yet another reason to avoid bars. It would be mortifying to nod off at the table mid beer.

14. cambabeer

cambabeer Savant (445) Florida Dec 29, 2010

Oatmeal stouts. Also hefeweisens

15. Once I've had my 9th or 10th beer, regardless of what style it is, I'm always pretty sleepy :)

16. I get sleepy after 1 or 2 if I'm not having an interesting conversation.

lovethebelgians likes this.
  17. No matter what beer I drink I get sleepy about 30 minutes after stopping. But, if I keep going I stay awake and have all night. But I don't do that anymore, too damn old for that.

SammyJaxxxx and MrSmitty like this.
  18. Depends on the time of the day for me. I can't drink a beer with lunch because it will make me lethargic and sleepy. Doesn't seem to have that effect in the evening (though it could just be me not noticing it as much)

19. Nail hit on head!
    If I drink 1 and stop, cool. If I drink 2 or 3 and stop I'm going to fall flat on my face.
    Awww but if I'm allowed to keep going past 4 or 5 it's off to the motherfucking races, Jack!
    Oh and I don't drink a lot of high ABV stuff for the same reason.
    I keep some nice whiskey to sip alongside for that extra "boost".

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  20. Beer_Borg

Beer_Borg Aficionado (180) Kansas Sep 16, 2014

Higher ABV makes me sleepy/relaxed more than the style. Although, it does seem that heavier beers have more of a sleepy effect.

21. I fell asleep at the 2010 NFC Championship in freezing cold weather.

Beer....all beer makes me sleepy after about 12-15 or so.

22. Stone Arrogant Bastard. I love it but it but after a few at home, it's lights out.

23. Too many of any beer...and Mitchell gets sleepy. On occasion he even passes out right where he was laying to begin with

24. same here

25. lovethebelgians

lovethebelgians Savant (320) Iowa Apr 25, 2013

All the beers make me sleepy

OldRickSputin likes this.
  26. spartan1979

spartan1979 Savant (385) Missouri Dec 29, 2005

Nowadays, just about all beer makles me sleepy.

27. doppletheGOAT

doppletheGOAT Savant (330) Texas Nov 27, 2012

If beer is making you sleeping then you need to go about 60 days (or more) without any alcohol. I know, it's hard to go that long without a great beer or whatever it is you drink but you just have to do it. Alcohol has a tendency to make you sleepy if you're drinking everyday.

28. I have a friend who insists that beer energizes him, and he'll drink to stay awake at times. I, on the other hand, am always lights out after a few.

rather likes this.
  29. That's odd, I'd never heard of that theory/fact before... where did you learn of this, do you know what causes it?

30. doppletheGOAT

It's not really a theory, alcohol is a drug and with any drug they can make you very sleepy.

31. Right but you suggest that this only occurs with alcohol when it is consumed regularly - why wouldn't this happen to someone who's just having his bi-monthly beer?

32. doppletheGOAT

It shouldn't make you sleepy if you're drinking one beer every 2 weeks, but if the ABV percentage is very high on that one beer then I suppose it could still happen.

33. PuckIt

PuckIt Savant (345) Pennsylvania Feb 6, 2014

That sounds like the worst beach beer known to man

enelson and kevinlater like this.
  34. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (320) Connecticut Aug 21, 2012

I have an inflection point after beer 2 and before beer 3. If I sit too long, I'll fall asleep. If I get up for #3 I am good for hours more fun.

35. Its probably just me but beers from Mendocino Brewery makes tsleepy

36. Been there, done that. But, in my defense, I was working night shift at the time and I had been up for ~26 straight hours.

APBT91 likes this.
  37. APBT91

APBT91 Savant (365) North Carolina Apr 12, 2013

Depends if its during the work week or weekend and the day I've had. I'm sure like most of us I get up early (5:30am) to get ready and make the 1 hour commute to work, and work from 8-5. There has been 2-3 instances when I've passed out halfway through the first beer after a busy day during the week.

During the weekend I usually start getting tired after 3-5 but can usually power through since I usually have my buddies over to chill and drink Friday and Saturday and now Sunday for football.

38. Interesting. I believe you, and Todd, and others, I have just never noticed any sedative effect from hops. Of course, upon Googling this topic, I am now terrified of phytoestrogens. Thanks a lot.

39. I have a 2009 3L if you want it...sweet dreams my friend

40. Usually big, rich imperial and/or oatmeal stouts....KBS comes to mind.