1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers that offer the same depth and layered complexity of Saison Rue.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by flayedandskinned, Feb 13, 2013.

1. I just had my first Saison Rue (also my first Bruery beer) and was absolutely blown away at the adventure that beer brought to my palate. Tons and tons of diverse flavors. What other beers can you guys recommend me that offer the same level of layered complexity?

2. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Yer, that is easily one of the best Saisons I have had

To answer your question, I would say:

Saison Dupont
    Orval or its contemporary update Rayon Vert
    Le Freak?

3. Sadly, I've yet to try Saison Dupont. Orval is one of my favs, but its not nearly as complex as Saison Rue. Rayon Vert is interesting, but just too citrusy for that style, I just want some dusty must in Rayon Vert. Le Freak, Im not big on.

4. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

If you have an older bottle of Orval it is definitely as complex as Saison Rue

5. The oldest ive had was 1.5 years or so. Really good just isnt nearly as nuanced as the Saison Rue I had.

6. If you can get your hands on any Stillwater, he makes some pretty awesome saisons. Cellar Door being a favorite

afrokaze likes this.
  7. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

Funkwerks Tropic King is pretty fantastic IMO.
    Sorry to throw one out there not available outside of CO (maybe online it is).

8. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Avec Les Bons Voeux should provide the depth of flavor you are looking for, especially with a bit of age on it.

9. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

I also love Saison Rue, but I'm not sure that a comparison to Orval would be fair (but if we are comparing, Orval has to be the winner IMO). Stillwater has some great Saison's if you can get ahold of them where you are as mentioned above, and I am suprised no one has thrown out the origional Fantome Saison. I've yet to have a better Saison. Also, Saison Brett by Boulvevard is a good example of an American brewery's take on the style. There are plenty of comparable brews out there, but no two beers are the same.

ant880 and afrokaze like this.
  10. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (600) Germany Jan 19, 2010

finally some logic in this thread, the Bruery teat sucking was becoming a bit vexing:)

Gosox8787 likes this.
  11. How do you live in SF and this was your first Bruery beer?

HipsterBrewfus likes this.

12. Too busy spending money Russian River.

13. By the way, it doesn't have to be a saison, guys.I'm just looking for a beer of any style that offers the same level of layered complexity.

14. St. Bernardus abt. 12, or any of the traditional Belgian Quads/Strong Dark Ales.

15. Saison Brett is an American saison that is extremely complex. I even like it more than Rue.

16. If it doesn't have to be a saison, have you tried something like Bitter Monk by Anchorage? It's a Belgian IPA with brett, very complex and delicious (and that's coming from someone who isn't too crazy about the style to begin with), and should still be available.

17. No, not yet, but its been on my hit list fot quite some time.

18. IMO Expedition Stout is brimming with complexity (and Founders RIS too) compared to your run of the mill RIS's. Allagash Interlude is pretty crazy, and I think NG Enigma has a lot going on too.