Beers that you regret purchasing...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Thedrizzle, Jan 20, 2013.

1. I caved into the hype train and picked up two bottles of Stone Enjoy By 04.01.13 (I rarely if EVER buy multiple bombers in a single trip) at a whopping $10.99 each. $22 for two bottles of a DIPA that's merely okay...isn't okay. :mad:

2. stealth

stealth Advocate (630) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Cuvee Des Jacobins. Had one and had to go out and buy 2 cases to make sure I don't run out. sonovabitch.

3. jborg

jborg Savant (295) New York Dec 13, 2009

Aecht Rauchbier. I was told it was great. I even bought it a second time to try to "understand" bacon in a bottle. Not for me!

OddNotion likes this.
  4. Hanssens Oudbeitje Lambic.

szmnnl99 likes this.
  5. lic217

lic217 Advocate (545) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

I bought 3 at 8.50. I would have been happy with just 1 at the price. nice to try, but not worth that price.

6. NikkoE82

NikkoE82 Savant (265) Indiana Jan 1, 2012

Bully Guppy.

shredder83 likes this.
  7. +1 on the Wild Blue. Though it wasn't the absolute worst. Cut to 1976 - freshman year at a NY State institute (OK - POLYtechnic institute) and $5 to spend at the local Price Chopper. I bought a CASE of Red White & Blue, and had enough left over for a bag of popping corn. I came back to my cinder block dorm room, saw that my roommate had already bogarted the cube fridge with Genny Cream, so I stashed the case. Unfortunately my stashing spot was next to the room radiator, which was either always-on or broken. The cans actually got hot to the touch. As he drank his Genny Cream (I helped) I would fill the vacant spots with hot cans of RWB, and over time I got about 10-11 cans into the fridge. One evening (OK - after Tuesday 2PM Physics I lecture) I grabbed a now-cold can, popped the ring top, and absolutely no PFSSST was heard. Bad sign. My drinking buddy said "You're not gonna drink that..." which I took as a dare to drink the can in one gulp. I got about 1/3 of the way through, when my senses told me the last time I'd smelled something as bad was the afternoon I opened the car hood of my '66 Falcon and messed with the duct tape on the radiator hose. In both cases the retching was life-altering. Memories...

Hopportunistic and supermodified like this.
  8. Rogorama

Rogorama Savant (355) Indiana Sep 4, 2012

Bully guppy lol

9. eawolff99

eawolff99 Advocate (675) Colorado May 10, 2010

I picked up Lower de Boom bwine from 21st Amendment today and just opened the box. Was this a joke? 8oz cans of a boozy, messy beer for $10. I feel like someone from Candid Camera is going to pop out of my closet and kick me in my junk. I seriously can't believe this. Maybe I dislike it more than is warranted because I'm so mad about there being 4, 8oz cans. To put this in perspective, I also picked up a 4pk of fresh Abrasive for $16 (4-16oz cans), so $4 more (by ozs) for Lower de Boom. Unreal.

/rant

arniepnminne and beerindaglass like this.
  10. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

I'm sure its on here somewhere and even though I've never purchased it, I've read the horror stories of Rogue VooDoo Doughnut

11. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (420) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

Lucky Bucket Certified Evil
    Tallgrass Velvet Rooster

12. Bought one yesterday and enjoyed it so much I bought another today. They only allow one per customer but I went back today during lunch when they had different folks working. Only $6.99...one of the benefits of living near the brewery I guess.

13. Knee Deep Brewing's Tanilla Porter ! Average at best !

14. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,320) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

15. Saison du buff DFH version, italian herbs in beer, sorry but do not like.

DrewCapzz likes this.
  16. Just bought an Idiot IPA with no date...now I'm the idiot.

17. This one took me a hot second. I couldn't figure out how anybody could regret drinking this beer!

18. I hate to say it, as I'm usually a big fan of Christmas Ale's...but Southern Tier's 2XMAS. I love their Krampus and Pumking, etc. I still have 4 bottles in my fridge. I couldn't get past the spices and flavor of it. I could only have one of them at a time.

19. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Wild Devil. Yuck

20. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

Great... just picked up a bottle last night. Why didn't you text me? :confused:

StaveHooks likes this.
  21. MarvinTheMarzen

MarvinTheMarzen Savant (250) Iowa Jan 20, 2009

St. George Winter Scotch. We had been to the brewery in Hampton VA and most of the beers were OK at best. The guy at the beer store said Winter Scotch was their best but I've dumped multiple bottles due to a soapy taste.

22. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (740) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Bought a Great Divide 15th Anniversary DIPA.... in the year of their 17th Anniversary! Still have it, it should be an awesome barley wine by now, ;)

23. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

My palate must be mildy out of sorts... I liked merry mischief!

Can't stand madame rose though. Thought GI+ cherry.... how can I go wrong? Answer: presumptions are bad.

RStang13 likes this.
  24. MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup Zealot (90) New Jersey Jan 29, 2011

Terrapin Hop Kharma

25. kustard

kustard Aficionado (220) Illinois Jan 26, 2013

Sierra Nevada Ovila with plums. Banana Laffy Taffy aroma reminds me of durian.

26. Saranack4beer

Saranack4beer Zealot (75) New York Feb 20, 2013

Lemon Berry Shandy by Leinenkugel, also. ick!

27. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,255) Washington Sep 24, 2007

That pint of Iron Horse's Insane with the Grain. Turble, just turble.

28. Saranack4beer

Saranack4beer Zealot (75) New York Feb 20, 2013

I've actually been wanting to try this for a while now, but I've seen it twice on this list :( maybe i shouldn't bother?

seplo likes this.
  29. kingofhop

kingofhop Advocate (555) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Regret nothing that you have done. Only that which you haven't done.

30. alucard6679

alucard6679 Savant (270) Arizona Jul 29, 2012

Tart of Darkness.......not my thing, especially not at 20 dollars a bottle.

Also Westy 12, went through too much to get that, and it's not even the best quad i've had...

31. Brushkanna

Brushkanna Savant (430) New Jersey Jun 27, 2011

Joe's Coffee Porter, I like porters and I like coffee but this is a drain pour. It tasted like cold weak coffee with some beer poured in. The only good thing was, I only bought one bottle.

32. kingofhop

kingofhop Advocate (555) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

I don't understand drainpours. I mean, I've tasted vaginal discharges that I wasn't particularlly fond of, but I manned up. I didn't wanna embarrass her.

33. Yup, that made me chuckle.

craftpunk likes this.
  34. CBC Great Pumpkin Ale. It is a 4.5% session pumpkin ale, but to have less flavor than Polar Pumpkin Seltzer (no really I tried them side by side) is a bit odd, even for a BMC beer. That said, I've liked every other CBC beer I have tried.

35. Premo88

Premo88 Advocate (620) Texas Jun 6, 2010

just one over my return to beer these last three months:

Southern Star Old Potentate

hate saying it because it's a regional beer in Conroe, and i'd love for the company to do well, but the beer is either no good or definitely not my style.

36. Mikkeller.

37. Beerboy33

Beerboy33 Aficionado (100) Illinois Mar 19, 2008

Brandy barrel aged Angel's Share. I would have rather burned $15.00 to stay warm on this winter evening

FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  38. I didn't mind Leinies Shandy's they were pretty decent

I think the one I regretted buying was Flying Monkey's Hoptical illusion, if you love really hoppy beer it would be something you'll like, but it almost seemed like it made beer more of a sipping drink or an aperitif

39. Two of my personal favorites. Although Storm King is by far my favorite Victory beer. Or maybe the Lager. Or maybe 12 or maybe.......... They make good stuff.

cjoc83 and RStang13 like this.
  40. I wouldnt quite say I "regret" buying any beer because I like to try new beers, but I know I will never buy Voodoo Maple Bacon Doughnut. On that note even though Im sure it will be another "dislike" I kind of want to try Wynkoops Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout....