1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers that you regret purchasing...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Thedrizzle, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (445) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

Insert any Magic Hat or Liftbridge beer I've ever purchased here...

craigo19 likes this.
  2. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (540) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

400 lb Monkey
    Stone VE '10-12
    Dick's Cream Stout
    Wild Blue
    Portland Rose Hip Ale
    Infinium
    Elysian Mortis
    Anything Cascade Lakes
    Sobrehumano
    Red Hoptober
    Howe Sound King Heffy

I suppose you have to take some of the bad with the good...

3. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

Sam Adams Infinium, I had to drain pour. Another one I still have in my closet is Rogues Voodoo Maple Bacon Ale. I can't seem to find a reason to open it.

dt_gbpackersfan and c64person like this.
  4. jds8411

jds8411 Savant (465) California Oct 12, 2008

WILD BLUE!

Nuwanda likes this.
  5. This. I bought a Chocolate Indulgence at a shop that doesn't get much rotation and, even though I was looking at dates on most of the other bottles I bought that night, I thought the big "10" on the front of the label was the alcohol percentage. It was, in fact, for Ommegang's tenth anniversary in 2007...and I bought it in 2011. Needless to say, it didn't hold up in the bottle very well. Oh well, live and learn.

6. Birthday Suit by Uinta; way over priced for a mediocre sour.

7. dertyd

dertyd Savant (400) California Mar 23, 2010

Magic hat #9 horible beer I drank it all but cringed why doing it

JDizzle likes this.
  8. lic217

lic217 Savant (460) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

6.99 would of made me feel better about buying a couple. there are just so many better priced options like sucks or gandhi bot.

9. lic217

lic217 Savant (460) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

Yeah I learned this lesson as well. I will not buy an IPA unless I know it is fresh. Nothing worse then an old IPA.

dianimal likes this.
  10. Not a single one. I've poured so many dollars into my gullet and some sadly down the drain, but all have been experiences that have helped shape me into the beer nerd I proudly am today. Sure, I've felt like I've been hosed a few times spending way too much money on something that I didn't particularly care for, but no regrets. Cheers.

dianimal, regularjohn and Andygirl like this.
  11. Really? I quite liked it.

Jester King Black Metal on the other hand...

12. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

Frangelic Mountain Brown !!!........ I'd say............I got Frangelic Mountain Clowned!

13. That may have tasted worse, but your beer was "altered" and made worse by the radiator heat. The Wild Blueberry was "fresh", straight from the cooler, and presented as a shining example of itself. God forbid someone do the radiator thing with it, for that would be a catastrophe of epic proportions !

And cheers to the guy with the Genny Cream ale. My dad drank the hell out of that brew when I was a kid growing up in NY.

14. New Belgium Rampart.

15. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! ............ Sorry,had to scream a bit! I'm okay now.

16. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

To this day, I'm pretty sure it was just a bad bottle. I've had other Baltic Porters and they were good. I just won't buy anymore from that particular store, lol.

17. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

I certainly won't at $15 a btl here in CT

18. Pretty much every Mikkeller beer I've purchased except Beer Geek Breakfast.

The Maui version or the JP version? Because I've heard nothing but good things about the JP version.

19. Mikkeller. Loads of them.

1,000 IBU Light was probably the most heinous though.

20. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (540) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

It was the Maui version. Even after the horridness of that beer, I would give the JP version a go just for the insanity of it.

21. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (260) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

Uh oh... currently trading for a BA Silhouette

22. Muthaphukkasaywhat!!??!?!?

North Coast Old Stock. Just an absolute booze bomb that I should have never bought.

fmccormi likes this.
  23. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) New York Oct 24, 2010

Oh man, North Coast Grand Cru. Its middle-of-the-road score and wide-ranging reviews may be due to the fact that "Belgian Strong Pale Bourbon Oak Juice" is not a widely-recognized style category. (Yet.)

Maybe I would've liked it more, had it not cost $15/ 500ml bottle. Why on earth I bought two without trying it, I couldn't say.

24. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) New York Oct 24, 2010

Yeah. What? Luuuurv me some Duvel . . . DieHippieDie, were you just unfamiliar with the style or didn't know what to expect?

devlishdamsel likes this.
  25. Yeah, it was kind of a weird collab in the first place because the breweries are completely different in the types of beer they brew. The recipe is exactly the same except for the fermentation process. JP used their open fermentation process and then aged it in their oak barrels which introduces wild yeast so the end result is a very different brew. The Maui version is just an American Amber Ale brewed with fruit while the JP version ends up being an American Wild Ale brewed with fruit. I thought the JP version was an excellent beer and I wondered how the Maui version was. After reading the reviews I no longer wonder.

Kopfschuss likes this.
  26. Tchfunkta

Tchfunkta Aficionado (215) Kentucky May 14, 2009

Anything with Caramel malt or crystal malts overdone. Of course I never know till I buy it, taste it and cringe through the rest of it.

danieelol likes this.
  27. Beefytits4

Beefytits4 Savant (475) Illinois Nov 2, 2011

I would say Pumking but I'm glad I bought it so I'll know better than to drink that shit again.

RStang13 likes this.
  28. Most Lost Abbey beers.

29. Voodoo peanut butter-right down the drain it went
    The bruery-5 golden rings, tasted like vomit

30. RyFikes

RyFikes Savant (280) New York Jan 3, 2013

There have been a few occasions where I found myself out at a nice beer bar and purchased an expensive craft beer after I had already been drinking a while. I do not remember the name of what I bought let along how it tasted. I regret doing it every time. CURSE YOU ALCOHOL (just kidding I love you).

kaydee likes this.
  31. That's basically every other American beer I've ever tasted.

32. Tchfunkta

Tchfunkta Aficionado (215) Kentucky May 14, 2009

I've completely gotten away from them in homebrew. I had a 3 Floyds Hoptimus that had probably been on the shelf for a month too long. All the hop alpha had oxidized and was left with nothing but overly sweet cara hell.

I keep it clean now with either Marris Otter, Vienna or Munich as my base. Any other grains added are specialty. No caramel or crystal

Padraig likes this.
  33. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

My thoughts exactly. I hate Magic Hat #9. I recently had to have some as it was the only craft offering at a restaurant that served pretty much only BMC. I would still rather drink Magic Crap than drink anything BMC has to offer

dertyd likes this.
  34. dertyd

dertyd Savant (400) California Mar 23, 2010

I would rather drink water then that crap haha

35. anth0ny

anth0ny Aficionado (175) Michigan Jan 5, 2012

Dogfish Head - Immort Ale, drain pour after 2-3 drinks. The label had me thinking it would be similar to a Backwoods Bastard, but the overhaul of the smoky flavor in the finish was downright disgusting. The label
    failed to mention that aspect.

Another severe disappointment was Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout. Overly rich and sweet, super thin, no balance. Not to mention my girlfriend had an allergic reaction to it. Funny part about that beer for me was it had an identical flavor to Frangelic Mountain Brown hazelnut sweetness, but double the sweetness with a dose of chocolate on top. I'm not as big of a hater on FMB as most of the community is, but I'm still blown away by the high reviews for Sam Smith's chocolate. I guess I'm at the opposite ends of the spectrum with the community for those 2 beers....

36. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (445) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

I think you'll be fine there. I'm just not a fan of their regular line-up. Have had some pretty hit and miss results there. I'm guessing the Silhouette and Commander are better.

37. It's popularity in the States absolutely baffles the UK beer community. I've got good friends (Americans) who know their beer but still swear blind that this is an exceptional brew.

I've given up trying to argue the point with them.

38. olbeerluver50

olbeerluver50 Aspirant (30) Florida Mar 13, 2013

There has never been a craft brew in the past dozen years that I have not regretted buying. There are some in which I bought once and never did again. The only one that was never finished was a bomber of Avery Brewing's The Beast. No problem with hoppy beers but when only the hops are tasted and nothing else then it is beastly indeed. Finished half of it and the rest hit the sink.

39. sam adams merry mischief

certainly did not love

ant880 likes this.