1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers that you regret purchasing...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Thedrizzle, Jan 20, 2013.

1. MrBrooks

MrBrooks Initiate (20) Ohio Mar 13, 2013

probably sierra nevada celebration ale its like drinking a liquified pine cone just brutal

2. sbxx

sbxx Advocate (500) Illinois Mar 21, 2011

Anything from New Belgium not named Snow Day.

3. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

This is blasphemy sir...total, unadulterated blasphemy!

cjoc83, FCal79, regularjohn and 2 others like this.
  4. loweball727

loweball727 Aficionado (240) Ohio Apr 26, 2010

Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown. Fucking amazing in the taproom, found it in bottles. Worst $17 spent. I can't even bring myself to trade it, I feel like I would be ripping someone off.

5. Agreed, I did the same thing, fed it to the drain

6. Borkinator

Borkinator Zealot (80) Vermont Mar 2, 2011

White Oak Jai Alai

7. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (365) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

all the dark horse beers at 4 elf EXCEPT
    monster 29
    Ba plead the 5th
    and 4 elf

i wish i had my money back for the rest lambeak wants refund.... :(

8. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

I regret buying any new beer that made me say meh.

Meh is not bad. Drinkable, but boring and not really enjoyable. I have drank plenty of meh beers. I regret all of them!

9. Never experienced a drain pour. Hope I won't have to do that any time soon! *knock on wood*

At least I read enough reviews to know which beers to stay away from.

10. Guy-T

Guy-T Disciple (60) Michigan Jan 21, 2013

This years Double Crooked Tree! Not as tasty as last years!!

11. Infinium, Rogue's Voodoo Donut beers are disgusting and expensive. So much regret there.

12. Actually, I changed my mind. I forgot about Samuel Adams Merry Mischief. Almost wanted to put it aside because Hardywood Gingerbread Stout was my first experience. Hard to forget your first time.

13. unthinkable? I loved that beer! It was so out of the box, and even though it says cucumber, for it to actually taste like cucumber, it was great

ant880 likes this.
  14. I've got two, Great Divide Old Ruffian, a buddy and me split a bottle with the $28+, was so disappointed. My drain pour would have to be Southern Tier Cuvee Series Three, just terrible

15. lic217

lic217 Savant (460) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

I was not a fan of Old Ruffian either.

16. I typically don't buy too many of anything until I know I like it, but did screw up this past summer. I bought two six packs if Bell's Oberon just based on some recommendations and the fact that I'm only able to get when in KC. I didn't like it very much and then was stuck having to finish 11 more.

17. I love 21A but HoHW was a letdown.

18. i totally agree. i'm wondering if there will ever be a beer i like that they make. considering that they seem to produce some type of new swill every month, i give them credit for never giving up, but i'm done with spending any more money on them. most of them taste like that fat guy on their commercial's beard must smell.

19. I've regretted every bottle of Flying Dog I've ever bought.​

wardenclyffe and chippo33 like this.
  20. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Advocate (645) Ohio Feb 22, 2013

ah keep the faith. I know they have a ton of beers I haven't tried I'm not writing them off.

21. CasanovaCummins

CasanovaCummins Savant (430) Nevada Jan 10, 2012

Chalk up another NO vote for Infinium.

And I'd say the Four Calling Birds that blew its cork and nearly took my eye out ( I think there's still a mark on the ceiling from where it hit ), but I did get my money back for that one, so never mind.

22. Eastside151

Eastside151 Savant (450) Ohio Jun 29, 2012

Didn't purchase but was given by a friend who bought one for each of us.. Point is HE regrets purchasing and we both regret opening..
    [​IMG]

kaydee and SpunkyHopslammer like this.
  23. purchased a variety sixer of hub city brews. (my kitchen sink was hung over the next morning)

24. djl9701

djl9701 Aficionado (180) Illinois Mar 8, 2008

I was really excited when my beer store had this on the shelf.
    Bought it without hesitation.
    Smelled and tasted the same....not really good, but couldn't figure it out.
    Checked some reviews here and.........yep.....smelled and tasted like

Plastic Bandaids.......yuck.

I guess that's what 'funk' is.;)

25. i can't write them off since they show up everywhere....but if you find one that you think is "worthy" i am all ears!

26. mctizzz

mctizzz Advocate (520) California Dec 23, 2010

Frangelic Mountain Brown, Voodoo Maple Bacon Ale, and Southern Tier Creme Brulee. These should never have made it to the market.

27. hebrew funky jewbelation
    thank hashem it was only 4 oz as part of a flight, but that stuff tasted like cough syrup.....nisht nisht

jlenik likes this.
  28. Phillyz

Phillyz Savant (460) Pennsylvania May 20, 2010

You just committed a sin. A SIN.

29. darky

darky Savant (260) South Dakota Apr 16, 2010

WTF?

30. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Savant (325) Minnesota Jun 18, 2008

Agreed, for the price, and wee-little can, LdeB is not worth it, at all.

31. I would have to say The Perfect Crime, I guess I had higher hopes for a collaboration between Stone, Stillwater, and Evil Twin

32. anth0ny

anth0ny Aficionado (175) Michigan Jan 5, 2012

Uhhhhh really?

33. yoitsarch

yoitsarch Savant (365) California Nov 13, 2012

Bells Oarsman, Coronado Golden, Coronado Wit, 5 golden rings...

34. Phillyz

Phillyz Savant (460) Pennsylvania May 20, 2010

Five golden rings was legit the worst beer I've had this year on tap and in bottle. Such a surprise given that 4 calling birds was pretty delicious.

35. craftpunk

craftpunk Disciple (55) Illinois Feb 6, 2013

no our palates are just all different. I liked merry mischief, but I also just finished a Madame rose which I also liked. trying cherry tomorrow...

But i did buy a voodoo doughnut last week just to see what all the hating fuss was about...

36. DPMomutant

DPMomutant Savant (355) Missouri Feb 10, 2004

Rogue Morimoto Soba, but probably just because it turned out I don't like soba, the beer itself is well-crafted. Same with the Stone Belgo Anise Imperial Stout.

I wanted to try the voodoo doughnut and if they took it down to half price I probably would.

37. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Advocate (645) Ohio Feb 22, 2013

I haven't yet but if I do I will. I've had their Lager, Honey Porter, Octoberfest, Blackberry Witbier, Cherry Wheat, and Double Bock so far and one other that came in a triangleish (like that word?) bottle a few years ago in Maine. However, for my tastes you could put a Mr. Yuck sticker on any one of those.

My problem with them now I'm so gun shy I usually won't pick up a new beer by them.

brockdidntslide likes this.
  38. I love the style that Duvel claims to be. Just tasted like water.

39. braugon

braugon Savant (355) Connecticut Mar 14, 2013

Tailgate IPA