1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers that you regret purchasing...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Thedrizzle, Jan 20, 2013.

1. fullmetal1381

fullmetal1381 Savant (270) Florida Jul 30, 2011

Cucumber Saison grew on me. For a while, back when I was at CCB 3+ times a week it was my "getting a little buzzed, lemme go with something light to end the session" beer.

As for me, I regret buying any and all Clown Shoes stouts. They all taste like Blaecorn Unidragon (i.e., smoked) to me.

2. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

It's not even meh in the bottle. It's bad. It tastes like somebody dumped half a spice rack worth of spices into a mediocre stout. I can't imagine how having it on tap would make it any better.

3. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Without a doubt, Cucumber Saison was one the best new beers I had this summer. Absolutely loved it.

ant880 and chippo33 like this.
  4. shawnohall

shawnohall Savant (330) Texas Nov 8, 2009

Southern Star Black Crack. In one sense, I'm glad I got to try this limited release bourbon barrel aged stout, and it was good, but I regret how much I paid. I'm not sure any 16.9 ounce bottle of beer is worth $13.

5. Petrus Aged Red - My first drain pour. Then I went back and bought another... see you in 5 years.

6. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

I am the proud owner of a "Battle Priest" its one of Three Floyd's 35$ "limited" hand numbered things..its their first use of Brettanomyces..and I have one..yaay..anyone want to traed for it?

7. RobinLee

RobinLee Savant (430) Wisconsin Feb 15, 2012

Rogue Juniper Ale.

Only reason I bought it was... well, my friend's roommate hates gin; at least, that was until gin became the only thing we ever bought for him. Since, we've had a running joke about gin and anything with juniper. I got pressured into getting the Rogue while building a six-pack (snagged some greats, though- BCBS, Hopslam, Lagunitas Sucks, Founders Breakfast). It was just deaddoves.jpg, I don't know what I thought it'd be.

8. tonton

tonton Aficionado (155) Hong Kong Mar 10, 2013

A four-pack of "Red Mex" tequila flavored beer. It was unbelievably cheap. Until I read about it (it's not on BA). Haven't tried it. Thinking I won't.

9. kjcoff

kjcoff Aspirant (30) Tennessee Feb 20, 2013

Raging Bitch by Flying Dog. Never again.

10. Dark Horse's King of the Forest. Uncarbonated soy sauce. Whats sad is the beer has incredible potential, I just think they stuffed too much in the bottle.

11. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

I regret opening this thread.
    This last post worries me as I was really looking forward to opening this one soon.

12. mnguyen281

mnguyen281 Initiate (0) Texas Apr 9, 2009

No way. Black crack is imho the best beer to come out of houston for a long long while. A pint of something comparable would cost you the same at a bar. Well worth it. I paid 45 for a black tuesday locally and i would have rather had three black cracks anyday.

13. mental1

mental1 Aficionado (165) Virginia Jan 31, 2013

Full Sail IPA. It tasted like metal and was incredibly disappointing.

14. Sierra Nevada/Russian River Brux. That's 15 bucks this guy would take back.

15. I really regret purchasing Youngs Double Chocolate Stout. I mean, if you think that's a good example of a chocolate stout, then boy are you in for a treat if you come over to the UK and try some of our actually great ones.

16. shredder83

shredder83 Savant (420) Illinois Feb 21, 2013

What you didn't like drinking nail polish remover mixed with ass?

Bully guppy was horrible, just horrible.

17. Yeah, I just had the 11.11.11 in February of this year and I thought it was phenomenal.

jzapp likes this.
  18. shredder83

Too cream stout was my first ever drainpour, never had pt5 but I've not been impressed with dark horse.

19. shredder83

I love raging bitch...most others I've tried are meh.

jgluck likes this.
  20. For me, Founders Devil Dancer @$6/12oz. Glad I only bought 1 but I would have much rather had gotten another 10th Anniversary Ruination (which I purchased at the same time, same price).

For those saying the Voodoo Bacon whatever, what were you expecting? Bacon flavored beer?? F'ing gross.

21. Thedrizzle

Thedrizzle Savant (455) Florida Sep 10, 2012

Guess ill be planing a trip...

22. Rohkey

Rohkey Savant (350) Michigan Jan 13, 2013

Sprecher Black Bavarian. I don't think I like the style at all, tasted like bacon grease to me.

23. 3 bottles of Brux when it was released. They should add a cavaet that it's a non-sour American Wild.

24. Don't like the Double Crooked Tree? I thought the Fore Smoked and Plead the 5th were both solid. Absolutely hated the Tres Blueberry, and thought the Too Cream was just meh... and compared to the Scotch Ales we have at my shop from other microbreweries, I feel like their Scotty Karate blows most of them away.

25. LuisQ

LuisQ Aficionado (145) Florida Jan 9, 2013

My buddy bought me back a 4pack of Kentucky bourbon barrel stout. I gave him 15 bucks. Tasted like someone dropped a doubleshot of vinegar in the bottle. I assumed that particular bottle was bad or infected. Drain poured the first. Then the second. Couldn't even bring myself to open the 3rd and 4th.

26. '13 Hopslam - I left 4 bottles in a golf trip fridge. Didn't bother to bring them home.

27. Elysian Peste. Never poured a beer out until this one.

28. shredder83

I wasn't able to track down double crooked tree near me, regular crooked tree was decent and so was one oatmeal stout. If you can get it I like founders dirty bastard better than scotty. Based on other people I would have a better impression of dark horse had I gotten to try double crooked tree and pt5 yet

29. Don't know how the Dirty Bastard slipped past me... def a solid beer there, little less abv. than a Scotty but awesome none the less. Def pick up a Double Crooked Tree if you get the chance. We just got their Thirsty Trout Porter in but if it's anything like the Percolator I don't even want to waste my money on 1.

30. PaulsBrew

PaulsBrew Savant (285) Virginia Sep 24, 2012

This is the best description I have ever seen!!!

31. tbryan5

tbryan5 Savant (470) Louisiana Sep 22, 2012

Bards gold... first beer ever that I had to drain pour the ENTIRE six pack... And before you bash me for buying it in the first place, just let me say that I always buy beer that I have never had with very few exceptions. I Read a review that said it tasted like burnt plastic (after the fact) and it was.the perfect description. Just let this be your warning...

32. Hey man, these small batches vary bottle by bottle - some bottles got great reviews. Mine was #99 of 804. Hope yours is better, but make sure to split it with people and drink it warmer. Hope the best for ya, Cheers!

33. Well then, boy are you in for a treat.

Thedrizzle likes this.
  34. Thanks, I'll be here all evening... :)

35. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

- Cellar Rat Brewery tasters 12 pk
    - Breckenridge Christmas Ale ..they (do) make a good Vanilla Porter though & their "471" is pretty Decent.

36. every beer other than Black Rat was over carbonated and gushing. ANd below average at best.

baconman91 likes this.
  37. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

my thoughts Exactly!!

38. Finn18

Finn18 Aspirant (45) Georgia Oct 24, 2012

When I was new to beer, I saw a bunch of "sale" beers at a local liquor store. I bought a bunch without even checking the dates, and some were up to a year old. That was all well and good for the stouts, but the brown ales and Scottish ales... yuck! I also bought a ton of Sam Adams Imperial series for half price... definitely regret getting the Imp. White. The stout was a good buy, and the wee heavy was just meh.

In terms of fresh beers, I was underwhelmed by SA Verloren for the price I paid, and I regret paying $3.50 for a can of Sapporo.

39. Voodoo Donut, and I haven't even drunk it yet, so now it's old to make matters worse.

Syracuse12 likes this.
  40. Syracuse12

Syracuse12 Savant (355) New Jersey Aug 21, 2012

Most DFH Ancient Series beers...especially Ta Henket