1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers that you regret purchasing...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Thedrizzle, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Rogue Double Chocolate by far the worst purchase at $13 a bottle that pile of shit can sit on the shelf forever.
  2. Vivant's Tart Side of the Moon (too tart/sour), and New Glarus Enigma (unless you like sour apples).
  3. Might have to be Voodoo Doughnut, the worst part being bringing it to a bottle share and subjecting others :rolleyes:.
    closisinthehouse likes this.
  4. Swik

Swik Savant (290) Indiana Oct 2, 2012

Lambeak wants blood orange- Dark Horse . . . . Total drain pour, tasted better than it smelled tho haha straight finger nail polish remover easily the worst beer ever
  5. I kind of think of them as an overblown homebrew. Tasted like it too.
  6. That sucks...that stuff was excellent on tap over on River Ave. back in the day.
  7. Night Stalker. Tasted liked oxidized nail polish and old hops. Was really excited though to try it. My heart hurt with every 'glub' down the sink.
  8. DtheVillain

DtheVillain Zealot (80) California Oct 17, 2012

Any Enjoy By and Dayman by Stone.
  9. I usually buy 12-packs while looking for good value and saw some positive recommendations for SA Double Agent IPL. SA was once my favorite brewer, but my palate has since moved on. Regardless, I picked up the 12 pack and had my first one tonight. Poured it into a SA glass and took a big whiff. All I smelled was that familiar Boston Lager smell. First taste just seemed like equal parts Boston Lager and Latitute 48. Not bad, but I was hoping for something more and different. That might be the last SA 12 pack I buy for myself (wife still loves the Summer and I've been known to steal 1 or 2).
  10. Couldn't agree more.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  11. oN3xM

oN3xM Aficionado (180) Illinois Mar 22, 2013

Pipeworks Nisperos De Batata.
  12. ressling

ressling Savant (270) Georgia Oct 26, 2011

Widmer Raspberry Russian Imperial Stout. Last time I take a recommendation without doing more homework. I mean I've certainly drank worse beers but I was expecting much more for a ~$15 beer.
  13. jokemon

jokemon Savant (340) Illinois Apr 3, 2007

FFF Dark Lord - Horrible Beer... seriously.
  14. alex_hart

alex_hart Advocate (570) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2013

Great Divide Claymore Scotch Ale...very dissapointed.
  15. Bought in Paris. Drank warm on a train to Switzerland.
    [​IMG]
    Momar42 and BrettHead like this.
  16. HopFace

HopFace Savant (350) Pennsylvania Feb 29, 2012

Whaaaaa send that to me! Loved that beer.
  17. Thedrizzle

Thedrizzle Savant (435) Florida Sep 10, 2012

What what what?
    baconman91 likes this.
  18. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

I'd go with any grape must-type beer. I always think they sound good and am always disapointed. I guess I'm the fool for always trying them. I've been staring at Amuste from Odell's and probably shouldnt pull the trigger.
    ParchedNeedBeer likes this.
  19. ZEB89

ZEB89 Savant (485) Pennsylvania Mar 28, 2013

21st Amendment Brewery's Watermelon Wheat
  20. He'brew Funk Jewbilation. Gross.
  21. PBR !

I was at a club in Louisville, Kentucky & it was dollar beer night. I went to the bar to order the dollar beer & it was a PBR. I figured it couldn't be too bad, but it was indeed. I took a few drinks & threw it in the trash. Forget those dollar beers, I just went ahead & ordered Guinness for the remainder of the night.
  22. This week...Petrus Aged Red Ale
  23. Dragons milk..But from what I hear maybe my bottle just wasn't good.
  24. jokemon

jokemon Savant (340) Illinois Apr 3, 2007

ever chug a gallon of soy sauce mixed with splenda? Well that is pretty much what dark lord taste like.
  25. Thedrizzle

Thedrizzle Savant (435) Florida Sep 10, 2012

I do that daily.....
    DrunkethWizard likes this.
  26. Pumking and Creme Brule have me scared to even try Choklat. Tasted more like cheap flavored Liquor to me. DFH Punkin was far superior
  27. Rex Attitude by Yeastie Boys. I understand the style i just couldnt do it.
  28. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

ever have Becks new "Sapphire" ?
    (I'm almost embarrassed 2 say I even Tried it)...its Not good at all.
  29. baconman91

Extreme disappt came with the purchase of Sam Adams New Albion as well...I thought maybe it'd have a little more body to it. - Boooo!
    - I find myself buying Less & Less Sammy stuff..it was a Great palate trainer back in the day, but now I Yearn for more Beasty Brews. I maybe "try" a new one they come out w/ (which is like every other month now)..but find them all a Little too "light" for me usually.
  30. baconman91

-- I don't even drink anything like this Anymore & I knew better but for some reason felt like trying it..maybe there was a Subliminal Message on the Packaging.
  31. Founders All Day. I've loved just about everything I've ever had from Founders, but this was very thin and lacking in flavor. 21st Bitter American and Yards Philly Pale are much better in that respect.
  32. HopFace

HopFace Savant (350) Pennsylvania Feb 29, 2012

I felt like that after my first one now I freaking love it. Where did you find them? I'd gladly take any off your hands you don't want.
  33. they had them and several other yeastie boys offerings at a local wine/craft store called City Beverage in downtown winston-salem
  34. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (600) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

I can't say I regret purchasing any beer, but if I had to choose one, it's another vote for Voodoo Maple Bacon. At first I wanted to try it because it sounded like a great idea. Then, as time passed, it gained a reputation for being shitty. My motivations turned from anticipation of a good beer to the curiosity/cat thing. Horrible beer. Rogue should be ashamed of themselves.
    Mnmaverick likes this.
  35. nlmartin

nlmartin Advocate (520) Ohio Jul 26, 2005

Most recent regret was Stones Oak Smoked Old Guardian. I drank that beer on April Fools day and felt like the joke was on me. Acidulated smoke and more smoke killed the base beer. I really liked the idea of a smoky barleywine. In short this beer was an epic failure and was almost as bad as the Belgo Old Guardian.
  36. Ristaccia

Ristaccia Savant (295) Nebraska Nov 21, 2012

I can't say that I agree with your sentiment regarding Pumking at all, but Choklat was (in my opinion, and with a year-old aged bottle) the best chocolate-focused stout that I've had (comparisons being Samuel Smith and Rogue Double Chocolate).
    Mnmaverick likes this.
  37. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

By unexpected victim I'm guessing you mean trade buddy.

How many of you include fridge turds in trades as extras?
    Momar42 likes this.
  38. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

I would say Black Crown and Bud Platinum rival it in the "new" Macro crap category.
    baconman91 likes this.
  39. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

I know it's a bit like flogging a deceased equine, but I couldn't agree more. That was the final nail in the coffin for me regarding Rogue beers. I've never loved any of their stuff and given their price point I've abstained ever since. Will take a damn good beer to bring me back. Most likely only to fool me again.