1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Beers that you regret purchasing...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Thedrizzle, Jan 20, 2013.

1. I completely agree with this. That was the only Founders beer I didn't love.

2. Years ago. Bought a single bottle of 1993 Courage Russian Imperial Stout when I should have close lined the entire shelf.

3. Andrewelaban

Andrewelaban Aspirant (40) Ohio Nov 26, 2012

Pipeworks Blue Lady was miserable

4. ghostly

ghostly Aficionado (145) New York Mar 7, 2011

Green Flash/St Feuillien Friendship Brew, a black saison, is disgusting. My local has been selling several cases of it for $1.69 per bottle for months, and it just sits there.

5. BigBarley

BigBarley Savant (330) Texas Aug 5, 2011

Victory White Monkey... I'm drinking it right now and the only thing keeping me going is the pleasant oak taste on the back end. It smells like cheap cheese dunked in Carlo Rossi, and tastes (excluding the oaky goodness) like Carlo Rossi that's had cheap cheese suspended in it for months

6. BigBarley

BigBarley Savant (330) Texas Aug 5, 2011

Craziness... I've thought that exact thing about plenty of ROGUE products (anything Voodoo, anything Chatoe) but for whatever reason, the two Chocolate Stouts are the ones I can actually appreciate.

Although, now that I think about it, the price tag IS the reason I've only had it once. For 8 bucks it'd be fine. But they're a little TOO proud of their bombers

7. BeerHunter76

BeerHunter76 Savant (475) Texas Dec 25, 2010

Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine. And that was a sober purchase... We can say curiousity killed my tastebuds.

8. Rogue Voodoo Donut. I don't know why anyone would by this after the first try. The best thing about the beer is the cool pink bottle. Disappointing too because Rogue makes some high quality beers.

9. Apart from Bitches Brew.....

every dogfish bomber...ever.

10. sbxx

sbxx Advocate (500) Illinois Mar 21, 2011

Pipeworks Hyper Dog

Boozy coffee water with some cocoa. Pathetic for $9 a bomber.

11. NEO68710

NEO68710 Savant (255) Washington Mar 6, 2006

Just picked up a bottle of Left Hand Twin Sisters DIPA for $10, I'll never make that mistake again. It's maybe worth $5 and I stress the maybe.

12. Belmont Brewing Company's Belgian Strong Pale Ale. It tasted like a 99 cent tall can.

13. I'm overwhelmed with regret every time I buy a new IPA without reading the bottle, only to realize it's "English-style" when I go to drink it. My fault, though. As for brewers who produce this garbage without putting any warning on the bottle whatsoever, there is a special spot in hell reserved for you.

For real, though, that Rogue Maple Bacon train wreck resulted in regret in its purest form.

14. JTDay

JTDay Aficionado (135) Georgia Jan 28, 2013

Has anyone said Sierra Nevada Ovila quad aged with plums

Ristaccia likes this.
  15. Buffalo Bills Blueberry Oatmeal Stout. My god is it bad. It honestly tasted like vomit. I couldn't get past the 2nd sip and that's saying something. I still shudder when I thin about it.

Andygirl likes this.
  16. Kill it with fire

nlmartin likes this.
  17. Bnoise11

Bnoise11 Savant (315) California Dec 25, 2012

DFH/Sierra Nevada collaboration - Life & Limb, $14 for a 750 ml of extremely mediocre beer. No more overpriced DFH nonsense for me.

18. Bought two old ass bottles of Ruination. I didn't notice they were so old until I got home and opened them. Wasted $12 on a funky tasting beer.

19. My favorite one is by far their pumpkin patch ale it was $8 a bomber and well worth it, everything else I've had from them just wasn't worth what they want. Although I am seriously considering dropping $20 on a bottle of morimoto imperial pilsner, really want to try that.

20. 100%

Can't believe they released it again this past year. Infinium that is.

21. Goose Island BCBS. Paid $25 for a 4 pack only to confirm that yes, I'm not a fan of bourbon barrel aging. At least these will age while I try to trade the other 3 or give away to some buddies.

22. APB

APB Savant (435) Nebraska Dec 15, 2012

Dogfish theobroma….. I have no idea what they were going for with this one, I'm sticking to the 60, 90 and 120 min IPA from now on.

23. ebin6

ebin6 Aficionado (205) California Jun 11, 2009

I'd recommend the Sah'tea (sp?) if you're willing to give another one of their "historical beers" a chance. Much more approachable for someone who appears to heavily favor IPAs.

24. The one that sticks out to me most recently was dogfish Sierra rhizing bines. Bought 2 bottles thinking it was going to be fantastic. Really dreaded even opening the second. Really dull and bland. Didn't remind me of an imperial ipa at all

25. atomic

atomic Savant (455) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Early bottles had problems with infection. Think that could have been it? I enjoyed Blue Lady quite a bit.

26. Vitacca

Vitacca Advocate (580) Montana Sep 15, 2010

I was a fan of Enigma. Haven't had the other one though.

27. Vitacca

Vitacca Advocate (580) Montana Sep 15, 2010

11.11.11 and Alaskan's smoked porter were instant drain pours for me.

28. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

I don't really regret purchasing any beer. You don't know what you think of it until after you try it after all.

29. I ran across a bottle of Big Sky Kriek. I haven't opened it and I'm kinda scared to after reading the reviews. I dont know what the hell I was thinking.

30. I don't think I've ever regretted a purchase from a store, but a couple weeks ago I was at the airport and ordered a Guinness. I've never really had Guinness before and it was St. Patty's Day so I thought why not? Well, it was extremely watery and flavorless and when I got the check...BAM, 10 bucks!

Actually, scratch that. DFH Chicory Stout. About $10 for a 4 pack. I was so unimpressed by it. I was expecting something similar to their IBA but it was just not nearly as good. It wasn't a drain pour, but still pretty disappointing.

31. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Advocate (575) Illinois Jan 14, 2013

DFH 120 Minute. Bought a bottle for $10 last year and shared it like 8 ways at my fantasy fb draft. 8 for 8 in terms of people that hated it. No redeeming qualities in my world.

32. Well it is like 20%. So if you drink a whole bottle you're gonna be completely tanked. I've actually never had it but I really want to. I just can't find it anywhere.

33. abkayak

abkayak Savant (400) New York Jan 8, 2013

i have really wanted to like Flying Fish beers...they are local to me...0/3 so far (ipa,grand cru,exit16) one more shot w/ an exit 4 than i'm done

34. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Tanked? I guess two BCBS at 15% means I am totally wasted :cool:

35. Founders All Day IPA. Very bland brew, plus my beer shop is way over-priced so it's not just that it was a mediocre beer, it was way overpriced.

36. Abita Strawberry Harvest Lager... just a waste of my time

alex_hart likes this.
  37. Well you're a badass aren't you?

38. alex_hart

alex_hart Advocate (605) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2013

Carlsburg Elephant..last time I will blindly listen to a less-than-competent liquor store "beer expert".

39. alex_hart

alex_hart Advocate (605) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2013

another one that i just remembered was Blue Moon's beer-wine attempt with Proximity..tasted like water with a hint of bud light and grape juice, and I'm not a fan of bud-water-grape juice for $9.

40. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (435) Texas Dec 24, 2012

Rogue Voodoo Doughnut (peanut butter, chocolate, banana bullshit), Jester King El Cedro, Brewdog Hardcore IPA, and the massive amount of Christmas beer that went on clearance (not that it was all bad, but I almost never wanna see a Christmas/winter warmer beer again since I bought so damn much)