1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers that you regret purchasing...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Thedrizzle, Jan 20, 2013.

1. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

I have actually spent money on BL Chelada, multiple times too.
  2. I've never regretted a beer purchase. Sure, there's been a number of beers I've bought that I haven't liked, but there's also been a lot I've taken a chance on and really enjoyed.

I do really enjoy the liquor stores that allow you to make your own 4/6 pack because then I feel less guilty about not enjoying a beer since there's only that bottle to finish.
    kaydee and devlishdamsel like this.
  3. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (270) California Aug 2, 2012

Tart of Darkness - a sour stout? I don't drink sours, but I love stouts. Thought I'd give this one a whirl to see if I could get into sours - FAILED!
  4. Ya I have to call shenanagins on CW Barleywine... That is a top notch example of the style..... Am I a Wisconsin beer fan boy, for sure! But that aside it is a very solid example of the style, better then most, especially for the price!
    kaydee, GrindFatherBob and TheIpaGuy like this.
  5. supermodified

supermodified Aficionado (220) Ohio Nov 28, 2012

6. [​IMG]
    If nothing else it put some [more] hair on my chest. A case, in retrospect, was not my best idea.
    JohnBender likes this.
  7. I won't lie, I laughed out loud in my chair.

8. NG Enigma !?!? That is actually perfect liquaflied! Jk, I do love it though!
  9. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

There are beers that I bought that I didn't like, but I don't regret buying them. That's part of the adventure!
    beercanman likes this.
  10. pk18

pk18 Savant (290) Wisconsin Jun 12, 2012

Most things from Mikkeller have disappointed me. At least they're moderately priced.....:(
    sirtomtom likes this.
  11. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Craft beer for me is all about experiences, so like others said, no regrets. I don't regret that bottle of Voodoo Doughut - proud to say I tasted and survived it, and I have a funny story/experience from it.
    frazbri and JxExM like this.
  12. :eek:
    Brunite and JxExM like this.
  13. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

I don't regret buying any single bottle to at least try a beer. My only regret is when I bought a 6 pack, didn't like the beer, and wished I would have bought a single bottle instead.
    musicman7070 and Bitter_Echo like this.
  14. rfbenavi80

rfbenavi80 Savant (360) Missouri Mar 15, 2010

Just my 2 cents worth....... Cucumber Saison was being talked about earlier. I LOVED that beer! very unique and different.

Regrets....
    +1 for the Boatswain DIPA that was said earlier.
    +1 for the Voodoo Doughnut also.
  15. dirtyfab

dirtyfab Aficionado (225) New York Oct 21, 2004

Sam Adams Triple Bock. Tasted like Vick's formula 44.
    pk18 likes this.
  16. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Newcastle Winter IPA.....the worst English IPA I ever had, like water. Hell, Bud Light has more flavor than this crap. Grrrrrr!!!! At least it's not expensive.
    Zimbo and Thedrizzle like this.
  17. I knew I was going to hate Voodoo Donut so I bought one and brought it to a beer bar and had the bartender pour out like 10 pours for whoever wanted one. 2 people actually liked it, I had a good laugh about it which was the idea.
  18. No regrets. I like to try anything I can get my hands on. But for the price I payed and how much I didn't enjoy it, I was pretty damn close to regretting Infinium.
  19. Chugs13

Chugs13 Savant (430) New Jersey Dec 11, 2011

Anything Buffalo Bills.
    Brunite likes this.
  20. T-RO

T-RO Savant (300) New Hampshire Nov 9, 2012

Southern Tier Pumking
    Southern Tier Creme Brule
    Smuttynose Herbaceous
  21. pk18

pk18 Savant (290) Wisconsin Jun 12, 2012

I second that. Thankfully, I hadn't remembered I tried it.....until today.
  22. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

I had it this summer. Way too boozy and chewy for me. Just could not get it down. Maybe just not my style brew.
  23. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Yeah many people say it is a great barleywine. I guess I just don't like them much. I am actually glad people told me that cuz I had a KH and ended up trading for some nice stouts that I knew I would enjoy rather than open it and dislike it. Very helpful information.
  24. goalie33

goalie33 Savant (330) New York Dec 3, 2009

Tart of Darkness
  25. :eek:
  26. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

27. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Savant (440) Maryland Oct 26, 2011

Southern Tier Jahva. Sickest I've been this century. I still can't look at Southern Tier labels and won't drink their beer.
  28. Belial

Belial Aficionado (215) Illinois Aug 9, 2005

The only beer i regret is from college and it was some crap called Northern Lager that was 8.99 for a case. I drank a lot and ordered a pizza but before the pizza got to my apartment i barfed and fell asleep. My roommate got to eat the pizza and i woke up with my eyes swollen shut

that was horrible but ive never regretted any craft beer that i bought and turned out lousy. at least i tried it
    Skye1024 likes this.
  29. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I know! I love New Glarus. I actually tried it 2x just to make sure I hated it. Yep. Hated it. I'm pretty sure that this confirms that I'm just not a fruit beer sort of girl.
  30. WOW, so many on this list I love. I've got a solution, next time you hate a beer send it to me. Problem solved!!! BM me and I'm happy to share an address . . .
  31. Well I am a fruit beer sort of man, Enigma is more or a half Sour/fruit beer but either way if you find your self with such awful offering again I am avaliable for free beer mailing! Cheers
  32. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

I was looking for a 6th beer for a mix 6 and the girl at the store said that Wild Blue never disappoints...holy hell...I nearly cried it was so bad.

Hinterland Maple Bock (Those are the only two beers I've ever drain poured)

I choked down my first Dark Lord ('12). I kept trying to like it but it was such a huge let down...I'd hunted it for so long. Wah-wah.

3F Schaerbeekse Kriek 2009. Found one on the shelf in Indy and it wasn't cheap. I didn't expect that skunk/burnt rubber smell...I like funky but it was too much (maybe it was a bad bottle?).
  33. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (870) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Everything I buy from The Bruery that isn't a Stout or a Sour. Overpriced garbage makes me regret my purchase.
    ledzeppelin4 likes this.
  34. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

This
  35. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

FFF Stack N' Stabb
    Widmer Raspberry Imperial Stout
    Hoppin' Frog Sweet Evil
  36. I'd second that, except the moderately priced bit, aside from Beer Geek Breakfast, most of their bottles are tiny and expensive.

Aside from that, I'd say I regretted buying Bootlegger's Brewery's Mint Chocolate Porter. A syrupy minty mess...:(
  37. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

river horse tripel horse. still probably the most shameful beer i've tasted.

sure, some beers taste worse. but tripel horse knows what it wants to be, and tastes like the worst cheap vodka ever.
  38. Samuel Smith Pure Brewed Lager tasted like metallic windex. I still have 3 left from the four-pack. Pretty terrible.
  39. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

None. Tis one of the downsides of craft beer drinking. Sometimes you get caught with a stinker.
    drtth and Thedrizzle like this.
  40. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

Insane good beer! Never talked about!
    chanokokoro likes this.