1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers that you regret purchasing...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Thedrizzle, Jan 20, 2013.

1. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Seriously? I thought that beer was fantastic. Huge fan!
  2. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Perhaps you don't care for saisons?
  3. Frangelic Mountain Brown (first beer I wanted to drain pour)

Pumking (first beer I did drain pour)
  4. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

So much hate for these two beers...I'd gladly drink either one.
    BigGene and CloudStrife like this.
  5. Devil Dancer
    1Sundown2C likes this.
  6. To each their own, I'm a fan of both breweries, but I found both beers grossly artificial tasting. Pumking was cloyingly sweet to boot, tasted like canned vanilla frosting with spices to my pallet.
  7. Everything associated with Newcastle Brown is garbage these days. Wasn't always like that.
    Horbar, acevenom and Brunite like this.
  8. Cantillon Bruscella Grand Cru. I found out really quickly that Unblended Lambic is nothing like Kriek or Gueuze. Had to pour it out it was so bad.
  9. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (640) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

Rogue Voodoo Donut
    Terrapin/Schmaltz Reunion Beer 2012

both drain pours :(
  10. chadillac3

chadillac3 Zealot (75) Iowa Dec 5, 2012

12.12.12...both the wife and I ended up drain pouring the last few ounces. Really disliked the cinnamon in it. For the $6 the bottle cost, not really bummed about it, just didn't like the beer.
    DrewCapzz likes this.
  11. Allagash Interlude. Was really looking forward to this when I found it but, the "funk" was just too much for me.
  12. BradStokley

BradStokley Savant (340) Maryland Jan 19, 2013

I may get bashed for this, but I'm not a fan at all of Troegs Mad Elf. I've got 4 left that I can't drink. If anyone on the West coast wants to trade for them, I'm open.
    1Sundown2C, Boilerfood and lucas1801 like this.
  13. grynder33

grynder33 Savant (380) Wisconsin Jul 31, 2003

Abitas Christmas Ale,supposed to be hop emphsized,tasted like a bad homebrew
  14. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I am big fan of beer in the banana bread I bake, tastes better than the banana in the beer.
  15. mcrago

mcrago Savant (335) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

Really, I found this to be underrated.
    djsmith1174 and gpawned like this.
  16. I have loved almost every Olde Hickory Beer that has ever been brewed.... Except for "The Bean" not good
    Stouttyme likes this.
  17. Thankfully in CA, among other states, we're allowed to break up 4- and 6-packs. I rarely buy an entire pack until I've tasted one.
  18. Stouttyme

Stouttyme Savant (270) Nebraska Nov 17, 2011

When I tried '11 BCBS, thought it was a hot,sweet mess and promptly traded my additional bottles away. Seems as if my palate has changed alot over the last year because I really enjoyed '12 BCBS and bought a case.
  19. I'm a big fan of Saisons. Not a fan of cucumber juice. I still have a bottle. What do you have that you hate. I will trade you.
  20. Stouttyme

Stouttyme Savant (270) Nebraska Nov 17, 2011

Nogne Imperial Stout - first drain pour of '12.
    weihenstephaner vitus - glad it was only a buck, second drain pour of '12.
  21. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Champion (775) Ohio May 29, 2005

I don't know, I've had a very good bottle that had some age on it (8 years). I also really like older De Cam Lambic so maybe I just like the style.

However, the one thing I have trouble with is absolutely still lambic. Tried it from each of the main sources over the last few years, never have I turned the corner on this one.
  22. after reading this thread, not feeling good about the voodoo donut I have sitting in the cellar...maybe I should drink it near the sink
  23. Not really a regret. Columbus Winter. Still have four left. Maybe they will mellow out by next winter. Cinnamon ginger bomb. Tried twice but could not do it. Drain pour both times . Drank about half of each.

Enjoy
  24. Rock Creek Infusco
  25. You gotta be shitting me.
  26. robboyd

robboyd Savant (285) Indiana Aug 7, 2011

Ah yes, Belgo Anise IRS was just plain bad in my opinion. I was sold a couple bottles by a clerk who was overly excited about them. Drinking both was painful. Also, Poppaskull was regrettable.
  27. robboyd

robboyd Savant (285) Indiana Aug 7, 2011

How did I forget Bitch Please? Had it last night for the first time. Never again.
    krl2112 likes this.
  28. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (650) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic. Drank half of one and it turned my stomach and wrecked my pallet for the rest of the night. One of the only beers I have ever dumped.
  29. im a big fan of dogfish head but i gotta say when i bought urkontinent i thought it would be a whole lot better than the concotion that was in that $12.99 750 bottle.
  30. A Fathead or Black Betty is a nice treat once in awhile.
    These are not everyday or weekly drinkers though for sure unless you have $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
  31. The bottle I had was completely still. Couldn't finish one glass
  32. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

Weihenstephaner Vitus? Are you positive you actually like beer?
    meanmutt, ewright and djsmith1174 like this.
  33. Elysian Peste...but to be fair, this did me the favor of letting me know I don't care for chili flavor in my beer, so not a total loss.
    Mikkeller Black Hole...just awful, drain poured half the bottle, and I don't do that typically. I think it was the honey note and the weak mouthfeel. Not what I was looking for, especially at premium pricing. I wouldn't turn down a Mikkeller at a tasting, but I'll never buy another either. For the record, I really like Beer Geek Breakfast, but there are at least 10 domestic coffee infused beers I'd opt for moving forward.
  34. codysjb

codysjb Savant (400) Florida Jun 16, 2010

Several Vertical Epics. I'll never have the whole set, and I don't really want to anyway, and just having random ones is not useful. Plus, they really aren't great anyway.

It took me a while before I realized I won't need to taste EVERY beer ever and just buying beers to taste in a vertical is pointless and kinda unnecessary.
  35. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

I'd say Samuel Adams Imperial White. Thought this one had some promise. It was just a boozy mess with a bunch of stupid spices that made it suck even more.

Oh and not that I thought it would be amazing or anything but the 20 bucks I spent on Infinium may have been the most premature thing I've ever done.
  36. Green Flash Friendship Brew. Not only did I pour it out, I threw away the other 3 bottles. I don't dislike anyone enough to give them that mess of a beer.
  37. sfsean28

sfsean28 Savant (390) New Jersey Dec 17, 2008

I concur.
  38. Why? I find it one of the best DIPA's under $5..
    Wingfan13 and nc41 like this.
  39. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

It depends on the year. The 2011 version was hoppier than the 2012 version. And I don't say that because my taste buds have acclimated. Abita changes the recipe for their Christmas Ale every year.
  40. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Bolt Cutter.
    Shmuffalo likes this.