1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers that you regret purchasing...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Thedrizzle, Jan 20, 2013.

1. The longer I drink craftbeer the less this happens to me since I mostly buy only fresh, dated beers that I know are going to delivef what I want.

2. I'll gladly take any off your hands. That was one of my favorite beers pf 2012.

3. Shock Top End of the World Wheat to finish a pick a six. That made it about 2 sips until getting drain poured. I want my 1.99 back too!!! 2 DOLLARS! 2 DOOOOOLLLLLAAAAARRS!

clloyd892 and BeerKangaroo like this.
  4. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

5. Sam Adams Cream Stout
    Young's Double Chocolate Stout (doesn't live up to its namesake)
    Paulaner Salvator (tried this several times, just doesn't do it for me)

6. 75 Minute IPA. Bleh... Followed by Faster, Bigger, Better, Bolder, collaboration. Meh...

7. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Savant (305) Ohio Jul 15, 2012

8. I think I got burned about 4 times by Odell Woodcut #5. Every bottle I bought -- each at a different time & place -- was 100% flat. Zero carbonation. This, despite several people telling me that they had gotten it carbonated.

After the Hiveranno mess, I am no longer sure Odell knows how to carbonate a beer. I have not taken a chance on Woodcut #6.

9. I was going to say the same thing, but I did make the mistake of buying some out of date Vitus once and that shit wrecked my stomach something fierce. But when it isn't past its prime, Vitus is an amazing beer, no doubt about it.

10. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

IPAs on the internet without knowing bottle date.
    Not wise as I've gotten a couple that are borderline expired.

Never again.

11. razeup

razeup Zealot (75) New York Jan 18, 2013

21st Amendment Fireside Chat. I normally like winter warmers but that was just undrinkable. I also despise Oskar Blues' IPAs for some reason (other stuff good-to-great).

12. cyrushire

cyrushire Advocate (620) Florida May 25, 2012

Dog father from laughing dog. Tasted like rancid chicken soup. Also Guinness black lager. Disgusting.

Rizalini likes this.
  13. Mr_Brodie

Mr_Brodie Zealot (90) New York Dec 13, 2012

I loved the cucumber saison. I expected a refreshing saison with a cucumber taste, Cigar City delivered that.
    For me it was
    Drie Fonteine oude geuze golden blend. I never had this style. It was $20 for a 375ml.
    Worst part is letting the guy stocking beer talk me into. I was in a food coop in Vermont drove an hour out of the way to get Hill Farmstead and Lawsons. I put back one 750ml of Anns and the only 750ml Fayston Maple. 2 days later after a 6 hour drive home I realized I made the worst decision.... I am not fan of Geuze or the guy who talked me into that.

14. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (780) California Jan 31, 2005

Amen!!! As well as Infinium, Theobrama (spelling?) and Black Albert.

15. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

I enjoyed Black Albert but not for ll the fuss and cost.

16. TheGoldsmith

TheGoldsmith Zealot (80) Missouri Jan 20, 2013

Completely agreed on Wild Blue!!! First truly awful beer I had. Gave it away to some poor fools.

Only other regret is Weston's Lil Lucy Hot Pepper Ale, practically undrinkable!
    And for all the hatred towards Voodoo Donut, I enjoyed it. Wouldn't want a full glass, but I did like it in moderation.

17. Stouttyme

Stouttyme Savant (270) Nebraska Nov 17, 2011

I love most beers, just can't stand any variety of wheat beers.

18. Stouttyme

Stouttyme Savant (270) Nebraska Nov 17, 2011

You telling me there is no style of beer you don't enjoy? $1 for the vitus so no big loss, if I paid retail I would have finished it.

19. Sink the Bismarck! God that was vile, and super expensive to boot.

20. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

That explains it. Not a huge fruit beer fan to begin with and I haven't had good experiences with sours yet. I keep trying though. So maybe regret it too big a word. It's all a learning experience, right?

Except for that banana beer. I still cringe when I see it on a shelf.

nickapalooza86 likes this.
  21. Cigar city guava grove. Traded for it though

22. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (845) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Pretty much any Christmas Ale

mychalg9 likes this.
  23. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (370) New York Jan 7, 2013

Voodoo Doughnut for all the reasons already mentioned...

Dogfish Head Festina Peche. Had a great experience with it about 5 years ago, tried it again several years later and could barely drink it. Maybe it was old at the time but I thought it was cloyingly sweet with a strong syrupy body.

These days I tend not to regret too many beer purchases as I put a lot of thought into picking up the more expensive brews. Haven't dropped $20+ on a whale in some time, unless you count BCBS 4 pack.

24. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

Nah, not really. There have been some bad beers purchased, but lesson learned

25. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Holy Cow, I got a creepy chill just reading that and imaging that on the palate, indeed it is unthinkable

26. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Should call it Snowjob instead of Snowdrift, Leinies who are they fooling except the gateway/BMC mainstreamers

27. NB Peach Porch Lounger. Had high hopes. Hot mess.

28. It was supposed to be undrinkable. Damn predictive text.

29. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (530) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Same except I bought it at a bar... for like 26 bucks...

30. WHAT!?

Do you like Stouts or Porters in general? You must just not like Imp Stouts and Baltic Porters if you didnt like that.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  31. Regret?? none. you'll never know unless you try it. even if I didn't enjoy it, i certainly don't regret it.

32. I like all styles but I was just really surprised because those are two pretty universally loved beers. There's no accounting for taste. I've drain poured Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA and a couple of different Chimay Blue vintages among others in my time so we're pretty much in the same boat.

33. Hate to say it, but Stone Enjoy by 12/12/12. It was ok, but I don't know what
    all the hype was about. Certainly not going to extenively search my local spots
    in search of that again. I have no doubt someone just said, "thank you, more for me."

34. Hey. For me, it's Bell's Batch 9000. I came across a boatload, I thought the taste profile was right up my alley, and got caught up in a frenzy. While I'm nibbling away at it, the bulk of my stash is being properly aged. I'm patient that I will someday like it. Thanks.

35. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

Actually I mainly drink Imp. Stouts, but overall stouts and porters more than anything.

What can I say, the bottle of Smuttynose Baltic I had was just not drinkable. It may have been that particular bottle though. I know it had been on the shelf for a while, so maybe I got the bad egg of the group.

I'm not against trying Baltic's again, just that particular incident ended in a drain pour. That bitch was off!

36. --Dom--

--Dom-- Savant (355) Missouri Dec 22, 2012

Anchor Christmas ale..... immediate drain pour and gave a way the rest of the sixer, and $13 at that.

1554 and snowdrift, both regrettable

pjs234 likes this.
  37. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Savant (270) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

One of my local shops has two of these left. Priced at $20 a piece. I want to try it since I have only seen it at one place and haven't tried it yet but not for $20.

38. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

3x Lindley Park. Fortunately, other people were happy to swap for the other 2.
    BA Old Ruffian. I haven't opened it yet, but I've realized I don't love barleywines that much, and I didn't love the base beer, so I regret spending $23 on it. I'd spend that on a BA stout, but a barleywine probably wasn't the best choice. That money could've been much better spent elsewhere.

39. Vertical Epic '11. YUCK

jasonmason likes this.