1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers that you regret purchasing...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Thedrizzle, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Expired BrewDog Paradox Islay Batch 9. I know, I know, it was expired, but it's a BA Imperial Stout that was bottled less than three years before I consumed it, so I thought it would be okay. Nope, tasted like someone made a big breakfast and let it sit for a couple of days at room temperature.
    RyanSchwam likes this.
  2. mfdish

mfdish Aficionado (120) Nevada Oct 30, 2011

2012 Eclipse Imperial Stout.

A great brew, don't get me wrong, but at $25 I felt like an asshole buying it.

And the Old Raspy XXV... again, the price.
  3. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (250) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

Full Sail LTD 06 (left it at friend's place)
    Flying Dog Gonzo (shared with friends)
    Jolly Pumpkin Madruaga Obscura (drain pour)
    Farsons Lacto (drain pour)
  4. pjs234

pjs234 Advocate (670) Connecticut Jun 29, 2008

I've only had two beers that I have purchased that I actually hated:

1. ST Creme Brûlée
    2. Anchor Christmas

Couldn't finish either one.
  5. Definitely not worth it. I think I paid $15 for mine and felt like I got robbed...
  6. '12 DFH Immort Ale. highly disappointing. Remember liking it a few years back too..
    musicman7070 likes this.
  7. --Dom--

--Dom-- Savant (355) Missouri Dec 22, 2012

Same here brother, it tasted like potpourri, i get shivers remembering it. Shame on you Anchor
  8. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Oude Tart 2012, absolutely horrific (and I loooooove sours). Twenty frigging dollars.
    cnbrown313 and nharres like this.
  9. Thedrizzle

Thedrizzle Savant (435) Florida Sep 10, 2012

Shiner holiday cheer. Ugh. Please let me forget that taste.
  10. Elysian BiFrost. I was actually really interested to try it out, knowing it wasn't a typical winter beer, and I couldn't even get through half the bottle. Calling it a schizophrenic hot mess would actually be kind. Completely awful.

Immediate drain pour and disposal of the other 5.
  11. You're allowed to bring your own beer to a bar?

12. A buddy of mine bought their altbier a while, and it was absolutley dreadful. It tasted like olive juice, and stunk like trash or something along those lines.
  13. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aficionado (245) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

$10 and still feel robbed?
  14. I would not buy it for that. If you can find it that cheap, and really want to try it go for it. If it is bad, you were warned ;)
  15. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (825) Florida Feb 27, 2005

How dare you sir! I will not let you tarnish the name of Pearl Jam! Plus I haven't had the beer yet and now you've ruined it for me :(
  16. ifnkovhg

ifnkovhg Savant (260) California Aug 12, 2008

Voodoo Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana. I wouldn't touch another Rogue Voodoo collaboration even if it cured my Irish curse.
  17. For awhile and I shared many beers, but alas the owner decided it was too risky so put a stop to it. I still bring a bottle by for a staff member every once in a while, but they are for them to take home.
  18. royalskrub

royalskrub Initiate (0) Washington Nov 29, 2006

BrewDog - Storm (Islay whisky Cask aged ipa). Id drink a Bud light before this beer. Watered down scotch
    davey101 likes this.
  19. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

One that comes to mind right off the bat was the Weinhenstephaner Heff. Beer was terrible and tasted like Corona. I've heard this beer needs to be consumed right off the boat otherwise it's terrible but IMO only shitty beers have that requirement.
  20. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (480) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

Ruckus Hoptimus Prime. Had heard good things about the beer, but didn't know that the name had been sold to Ruckus and the recipe had changed. A total let down.
  21. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (480) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

Are you sure you just don't like hefeweizen's? Hard to believe it tasted like Corona.
    cnbrown313 and frazbri like this.
  22. cyraschris

cyraschris Aficionado (180) Florida Dec 15, 2012

Interesting! I love the Midas touch!
  23. Yarni28

Yarni28 Aficionado (125) Illinois Oct 26, 2012

Anything Deschutes. Worst beer ever.
  24. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

I love heffs. Like many others I was drawn to craft originally because of Heff's. My fav Heff is actually Franziskaner, so it isn't even that I don't like the German/Bavarian style. It just tasted really subpar to me.
  25. Wingfan13

Wingfan13 Aficionado (180) Texas Aug 10, 2009

First of all, I haven't been around here long but what percentage of posts are jokes ? I sometimes have a hard time deciphering.

For me it would be Black Ops. It was an OK beer in my opinion but the price is not where it should be.
  26. I like Franziskaner but like Weihestanphaner better. Seems you had a bad bottle.
  27. Popped open a Uinta Labyrinth yesterday and I couldn't even finish the glass I had for myself. The flavors really just did not jive with my taste buds. I knew what I was in for so it's not a mark on that brew, but given the $13 I paid for it, if I wasn't sharing it with a friend that would have been about $10 worth of drain poured beer.
  28. Rolling Rock Light wasn't what I had hoped it would be.
  29. Roger85

Roger85 Savant (455) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

Infinium. A $25 mess of a beer. I finished it, but only because I wasn't going to pour $25 down the drain.
    sweemzander likes this.
  30. codasnap52

codasnap52 Savant (305) Connecticut Jan 24, 2008

Correct Answer!
  31. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

I'd change my answer to Mikkeller Peat Whiskey Black Hole. I can handle peat and Islay scotches....but holy hell that was just brutal.
  32. All things Karl Strauss, Black Diamond, Devil's Canyon and High Water. Lucky U IPA & Conflux 2.
  33. Definitely did not taste any of what they described on their label. It didn't even taste like anything really. There was like no nose on it whatsoever. I was highly disappointed with this beer as well. Got a couple for the cellar. Hopefully it will get better with age.
  34. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

Kona Koko Brown. Really fake coconut flavor.
  35. Dan_Bowman

I could taste everything described on the label and it was fantastic. Bought some for my "cellar" as well, hope it ages well as well.
  36. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

I only truly regret buying dark dawn from Jolly Pumpkin I normally love their brews but that beer was foul. Completely the wrong infection. It tasted exactly like the infected 2012 peruvian morning I had from Central Waters. I couldn't appreciate it as a stout or as a sour and even worse I was stupid enough to buy two I choked the other one down but never again.
  37. Dan_Bowman

Dang! There are very few DFH bombers that were not worth $10 IMO. I am very skeptical about this one.
  38. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

I'm sure the right answer, for those that bought it, is BULLY GULPY
  39. Elysian Night Owl, Pumking, ST Crème brûlée, and Biscotti Break, only because it was so damn expensive.
  40. 1Sundown2C

1Sundown2C Savant (380) New York Jan 13, 2012

Festina Pecha...ugh