1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers without barley

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by goldy220, Apr 29, 2013.

1. goldy220

goldy220 Initiate (15) Apr 29, 2013

I just got back from my allergist and learned that I have an allergy to barley. I noticed some beers seemed to give me an allergic reaction and that's apparently what was triggering it. Is there an easy way to determine which beers are brewed with barley? Or am I limited to gluten-free beers?

2. That is a question for your doctor more than posing it here. Don't take a chance messing with your body if other grains (or gluten) could be a factor.

However, if barley is the only cause for your allergies (and gluten is not the reason) then the GF beers still may be your only choice. Even the beers that are known as 'wheat beers' typically have about 50% barley in them. I can't think of any that are 100% wheat, or that are made from other types of grain that may be okay for you, but I think there are a few out there, and maybe someone else can chime in with suggestions.

3. I've heard of sorghum beers for people with certain grain allergies, but like Mothergoose03 said, it's best to check with a medical professional instead of relying on the well-intentioned but possibly incorrect responses from the internet at large.

4. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

I can't imagine having to ask my doctor what beers I can have. I'm of course assuming that the latest Merck Manual doesn't have a list of available beers/ingredients... would be cool, though...

5. As far as I know, only the gluten-free beers have no barley.

6. In the US, any "beer" brewed without barley would not fall under the TTB's definition of a "malt beverage".
    As such, those products fall under the control of the FDA, and have to be labeled with a FDA-required "Nutritional Facts" box. The classic example is DFH's T'weason Ale.

[​IMG]

jhartley, Kikodamian and Ranbot like this.
  7. how severe is the allergy? Maybe you can keep drinking awesome beer and also use an epipen? Just a thought, I dunno, I havent ever had to use one.
    There are only a couple gluten free beers that I could drink, honestly, this is really unfortunate to hear from you

DmouthCaliBrewz likes this.
  8. Best tasting one that I have had was Omission Pale Ale, but that is a bit risky since they use barley, but remove gluten. Aside from that, I would say St. Peter's Gluten-Free is very good, hands down the best that I have had (New Planet, Redbridge, Greens, New Grist, Sprecher, Bards)

9. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Consult with your doctor on this, not BeerAdvocate. This borders on medical advice and the Bros have never tolerated even the hint of that on the site. It will most likely get shut down.

jhartley, fox227 and joelwlcx like this.
  10. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

I can see it now:

Man dies from anaphylactic shock. Last words: "It was worth it..."

11. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

Thus endeth your beer career. Sorry...

12. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

I don't think you will like the way gluten free beer tastes. Time to switch to wine.

kemoarps likes this.
  13. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/27912
    Now offering online orders. Best Gluten free beer around.

kemoarps likes this.