Beers you have, but haven't tried yet

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Rizalini, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Rizalini

Rizalini Savant (345) Nevada Jan 20, 2011

Have you ever grabbed a beer that you've been looking for, or maybe just a rare anniversary brew that you could only get 1 of?
    Now you have it aging, and you find yourself reading other peoples reviews to see how it is, and when you should open it?
    If so, what beers are you waiting for just the right moment to open?

For me it's - Fruet
    - Older Viscosity
    - Stone's Barrel Aged Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter

2. BCBCS. Letting this one age a little while before I open it.

IMSPEAKNOENGLISH likes this.
  3. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Don't do it!!:eek:

4. Same here with BCBCS, but Im just saving it for my Birthday which is April 5th. I am also giving up beer for lent which ends on april 5th. Wish me luck in my endevours.

5. Please dear god, if you like coffee which i have to assume you do. Open it immediatly, it truly is perfect now. My wife hates beer in general for the most part but enjoys coffee and we split one recently, she loved it. I woul. hate for you to try it after after losing event a percentage of the magic is have now. Good luck, cheers

Oh, and OP come to NH ill open both the others and you can bring the Stone.... ;-)

6. Ok ok, if you all insist I guess I'll drink it now. lol.

looseteeth and tectactoe like this.
  7. klinger

klinger Aficionado (180) Ohio Oct 9, 2012

DFH 120
    Ballast Point Victory at Sea
    GD Espresso Yeti
    Choklat - It's on the menu tonight, though.

ESeab and TwelveOunces like this.
  8. Cracked the 2011 bcbcs not too long ago, the 11 choke slammed the 12. A year on it allowed for the flavors to complement eachother better. Just my .02.

ESeab likes this.
  9. Rizalini

If you ever come to Las Vegas, let me know. We might have a deal! :)

10. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

I've got...
    CBS
    Better Half
    Bolt Cutter
    BCBS Rare
    and 2 recently aquired bottles - '10 Gratitude & '11 Alaskan Barley Wine

Scalzo, tectactoe and frankthetank86 like this.
  11. 2012 Huna (though I'm just waiting for the 2013 to come out so I can try them side-by-side)
    Chocolate Rain
    King Henry

JoEBoBpr likes this.
  12. A friend shipped 4 bombers each of Alpine Pure Hoppiness, Duet & Nelson to me. I've tried the Duet and Nelson and will be trying the Pure Hoppiness this weekend. He also brought me 1 bomber of Deschutes Hop Henge which will also be gone by the end of the weekend.

13. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

09 Utopias

14. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

Beers currently in the cellar that I have not yet opened or had before:

Rare
    Cherry Rye
    12' Coffee*
    Black Tuesday
    The Abyss*
    CW 15
    BA Blackout*
    BA Bigfoot
    CW BBBW
    BA Speedway
    Kopi Speedway*
    Huna*
    50/50 Elijah Craig 12

*First on the docket to drink as they are vintage beers or coffee beers

Those are the "big name" beers, but there are a bunch of others that I received as extras or just picked up that I need to open soon as well. As you may be able to tell, my best beer drinking buddy moved across the country in September. We used to acquire beers and open 3-4 together once every couple of weeks. Since then my cellar has done nothing but get bigger. Need to find a tasting group or something...

Rizalini likes this.
  15. Rizalini

Hop Hendge is an amazing brew! I grab at least 6 when they hit the shelves!

16. God help you! =)

TwelveOunces and Rizalini like this.
  17. Rizalini

I would love to be in that tasting group!

18. Some Unibroue - La Terrible, Trois Pistoles, Raftman.

19. Bottles I picked up recently that have never tried: BCBCS '12 (1), Black Note (1), Olde School (2), Behemoth. Planning to have one of the Olde School's very soon and age the other one, and def. want to have the BCBCS soon, just waiting for the right moment.....but not sure about the other two.....

20. I wish you luck but ..... I gave up beer for 10 days at the start of the year and it was torture.

ESeab likes this.
  21. Got a Chimay Blue too, not sure how long to leave it, it's soo tempting.
    And a Rogue Chocolate, but might have to break that one out for v-day... yummm

22. RelentlessLefty

RelentlessLefty Savant (290) Iowa Nov 1, 2012

Maybe I am the extreme exception but I have over 30 bottles of stuff I am cellaring that I have never tried. I tend to buy a lot of beer that I know I will enjoy with a little more age so I let it sit and wait. I also try to read reviews carefully and judge before opening it.

23. you are not the exception... my list that comes to mind..

chocolate rain
    cherry rye
    coffee speedway
    ba speedway
    abyss 10,11,12
    sang noir
    murda'd out
    baller stout
    sour in the rye
    iso:ft
    supplication
    concecration
    temptation
    batch1
    wwbi
    stout trooper ba and regular
    civil dis 5
    double dba

thats enough, im sure there are more... anybody wanna get drunk?

RelentlessLefty likes this.
  24. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

Ballerstout
    BA Bigfoot
    BBpt5
    cherry rye
    I'm pretty sure that's, I have been fortunate enough to generally get 2 bottles of everything so I can drink one fresh and see what 6months to a year does with the other.

25. Duvel Tripel Hop 2012 - it's been hanging in the back of the fridge since early Dec. I still regret not drinking this one for New Years - had cheap champagne instead and ended up with a gnarly hangover.

Sculpin - picked this up for the first time two weeks ago, was pumped to try it but woke up the very next day with a head cold. Waiting for my sense of smell to come back 100% before giving this one a try.

seakayak likes this.
  26. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (450) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

Black Butte XXIII

Been sitting on it for 18 months or so, should probably have consumed it by now.

27. lookrider

lookrider Savant (425) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

My awesome trading partner Rawfish just hooked me up with some RR - Pliny's, Consecration, Supplication, Salvation and Sanctification. Of course, the Pliny's will be enjoyed fresh but I just don't know what to do with the others. I've wanted to try them all for a long time but I also love having them in my stash and I know they age well. Either way I'm stoked to have them. Also have a bottle of Gulden Draak and Dreadnaught that I haven't been able to bring myself to open for some reason.

28. Oh, also a Vache Folle, which would be a good chocolate vday beer, and a rochefort 10, which, if it's anything like the 8, will be excellent.

29. Probably in the 10-15 bottle range. I usually get something if it intrigues me and I know it will be tough to find/wont be able to get again for another year/ever. That said, many of these are in the $15 and up category. Like others have mentioned, I usually wait for a special occasion to open the pricey stuff. Tough problem to have!

30. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (450) Indiana Oct 19, 2006

Upland Peach

31. I had my bottle of Fruet (thanks to RyanSchwam) fresh and it was delicious. So don't necessarily hold out for age!

32. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

there's a bunch of beers that i havent gotten to yet...lately i've been trying to open new beers sooner rather than later but i can only drink so much haha. a few examples off the top of my head:

BA Hi-Fi
    Chocolate Rain
    BA Abraxas
    Dark Dark Goose
    BA Sexy Chocolate
    Various Upland lambics
    Various 5050 Eclipses

33. I'm not intentionally aging these, I just haven't gotten to them yet, have never tried them before, and don't mind if they sit for a bit.
    Granted, a couple of these I just bought a couple of days ago (Hop Zombie, Mikkeller) and plan to drink within the week.

Lawson’s Fayston Maple Imperial Stout
    Lawson's oak-aged Fayston
    Epic Hop Zombie
    Mikkeller Nelson Sauvignon
    Prairie ale
    Boulevard/Pretty Things collab - Stingo
    Green Flash Grand Cru
    Petrus Aged Pale
    Hoppin Frog B.O.R.I.S.
    Clown Shoes Blaecorn Unidragon
    Sierra Nevada / Dogfish Life & Limb
    Samuel Adams Thirteenth Hour Stout, and Merry Mischief Gingerbread Stout

34. I have around 150 bottles in the basement, about 35% of which I've already tasted...

The SN 30th Anniversary Series (not INTENTIONALLY aged, just never got around to drinking them)
    Black Albert (2010)
    Feu Feune (2010)
    Cascade Apricot and Kriek (2011)
    Assorted random New Glarus Unplugged bottles

That's off the top of my head...

35. ARCTIC DEVIL

36. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (470) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

Dark intrigue
    Fantome hiver
    Ba ruffian
    Ba yeti

37. Fruet
    Brux

38. abkayak

abkayak Savant (390) New York Jan 8, 2013

got my hands on a concecration and a supplication 3 weeks ago......gonna look at them for quite some time

39. Van Du Kaiser Blauw
    Smuttynose Really Old Brown Dog

BeerKangaroo and ESeab like this.
  40. dap325

dap325 Aficionado (190) New York Apr 2, 2009

Sanctification
    Temptation
    Sierra 30th Grand Cru
    Blaecorn Unidragon
    Big John
    CW BBBW
    Bolt Cutter
    Sucaba
    Parabola
    Double DBA
    Black OPS
    Serpents Stout

I've been telling myself I'm going to wait until a special occasion to crack 1 or 2 of these but something always comes up on those few "special occasions" where I haven't gotten the chance yet.