1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers you have, but haven't tried yet

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Rizalini, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (405) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

That's what I wanna hear. I'll keep sitting on it. I figure when I move in a few months I'll have to deplete the cellar, and I'll drink it then.
  2. Only one I can think of that I have but haver never tried before is Bolt Cutter. I saw many unfavorable comments about it and decided to just stash it and give it some time in the bottle. At 15% it can definitely last for awhile, I am probably going to wait 2 years before opening it
  3. mporter13

mporter13 Aficionado (170) Oregon Jul 13, 2011

Absolutely LOVED Mogli the time I had it. I'm sure you'll be happy when you finally crack one of those open
  4. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (250) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

An expensive rash of trading these couple of months has resulted in many beers I've yet to try:
    Black Note
    CW BBS
    BA Blackout
    Arcadia BB IS
    BBPt5
    BT
    Darkness
    Abyss
    Event Horizon
    Parabola
    Zhukov
    BB Dark Apparition
    Baller

Others not from trading:
    FW16
    SNR '10
    BA Bigfoot
    Eclipse 5x variants

I need to find some good occasions to try these... perhaps some likeminded BAs around Boston
  5. You people need to start drinking up.
    OtisCampbell and surlytheduff like this.
  6. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

Weyerbacher's Riserva, and I got one last bottle of Founders Backwoods Bastard bottled September 2012, trying my hardest not to consume.
  7. Parabola and Double DBA are the ones that stand out to me in my cellar.

I know the general rule is "you have to try it fresh first so you know what changed with aging," but I'm less interested in knowing what changed and more interested in drinking an amazing beer. If I only get one shot at it, I want it to be as good as it gets.
  8. brian4beer

brian4beer Savant (330) Indiana Jan 27, 2013

9. How will you know when it's as good as it gets though?
  10. I won't, but I think it's worth trying to hit that spot. If a beer is great fresh, and transcendent at 2 years, it's not like it will be bad at 1 year, is it?
  11. Loganyoung

Loganyoung Savant (255) Georgia Jul 16, 2011

Mikkeller from to
    Oak aged yeti
    Espresso oak aged yeti
    Sweetwater the gimp
    Dragons milk
    Cantillon gueuze
    Uinta anniversary barely wine
    Oude tart
    5 golden rings
    Double bastard
    Rodenbach grand cru
    La fin du monde
    Westmalle tripel
    St. B tripel
    DFH squall

I need an excuse. Lol

12. Two down,

open a 120 and the Bitches brew Saturday. Not so excited about the BB.

Enjoy
  13. Surly Pentagram! Sorry, had to gloat...
  14. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (640) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

I have 2 bottles of Bolt Cutter. I didn't bother trying it cuz of all of the reviews that say that this stuff is so hot and boozy. I am keeping them cellared for at least one year then go from there...let em mellow out a bit.
  15. Just picked up 2 myself. Going to let these settle a bit I think before experiencing the glory. Also just got a 2011 darkness and a Syx this weekend. Yeah, I'm excited.
  16. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Savant (355) Kansas Sep 24, 2012

I had the 2011 on tap last night. Plenty of mocha/coffee in the nose. Not so much coffee in the taste though, more like spicy chocolate. Still, it was pretty amazing.
    IMSPEAKNOENGLISH likes this.
  17. From somewhat recent trades and purchases:
    Grey Monday
    Chocolate Rain
    White Chocolate
    Fantastic Voyage

Brews I've had for a while:
    Saint Arnold 5/9/10
    Founders Nemesis 2010
    Jester King Black Metal Farmhouse (had/have the original)
    Deschutes Mirror Mirror 2009 (got in a trade last year and am hoping for the best at a BW tasting I wanna have soon)
  18. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

abyss 2012, cafe royale 2012, cherry rye, schafly reserve BA stout, kbs 2011 and 2012, bitches brew, darkness, czar jack, bruery yam pumpkin beer (cant thinkof name lol), CBS, and a couple chocolate peanut butter porters.
  19. bushbeer75

bushbeer75 Savant (345) Michigan Aug 23, 2006

A few of me are:
    St. Bernardus Abt 12
    Founders Nemesis 2010
    Three Philosophers Quad
  20. I drink everything except gueuze straight off.. I have no reverance... or fetish in aging beer apart from preserving it for group tasting or trade bait.
  21. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (795) California Jan 15, 2009

Respectfully, I continue to fail to understand why you'd age a beer you've never tasted; but, that's me. More specifically to what you've listed, in my opinion you have completely missed, unfortunately, the experience of the Stone BA Coffee/Coconut Porter. I had a case when it came out and we drank most of the bottles within the first several months. I kept a couple "to see what happens" but only after having over a dozen bottles. (Case was 24 bottles). I also admit that I ended up having a few more in the cellar "by accident" and I've opened a few the past couple of months. The beer is a shell of its former self. Coffee is very muted; roasted and toasty grain character is pretty much faded and the coconut character is just a hint. You may love it when you open it; however, you will now never have the benefit of tasting it fresh and getting what the brewer wanted you to get - whether you like what the brewer wanted you to get, or not. Just my opinion.

For what it's worth, and again only my opinion, Older Viscosity also cannot take a lot of aging. It is just great fresh and within a year or so. Then, it too really starts to fade. (Remember, Lost Abbey has already aged it for us!) Again, just my opinion.

Please! Open the damn thing. If you open it and are sorry you did because you like it so much and want to age it more, beer mail me and I'll send you a couple more! Really. (In fact, same thing with Older Viscosity. Open it and it you're sorry, I have a few of those around too I can send you).