1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

beers you like but cant justify the $

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by djrn2, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Nearly every beer i would have to trade for. That includes all the ones that are over-hyped, looking at you people who trade Hill Farmstead.

FUNKPhD likes this.
  2. enelson

enelson Advocate (505) Illinois Dec 2, 2007

BA Behemoth for $40 crossed my line.

3. Graviz

Graviz Savant (290) Colorado Feb 26, 2012

New Belgium La Folie (starting in 2012). It used to be $12-$13 a bottle but they raised it to around $17. Hate to see what it is this year. Good sour but not worth the increase.

davelag and Gatch like this.
  4. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

Pretty much every sour that exists. But I still buy them anyway from time to time.

Gatch likes this.

5. True story, Mikkeller can be guilty of it too which sucks cause it's soooo good.

6. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

Prices at bottle shops for Consecration and the like are pretty much the same here (same as the guy you replied to, about $16-18 a bottle) around the Philly area. I bought Consecration once and loved it, but there's no way in hell I'm paying that kind of money for 375mls. This is what I'm talking about with the sours. I do love me some Rodenbach, though. Pretty reasonably priced.

7. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

Utopias. I saw one on a shelf today for $199.

aleslover, sarch and hardy008 like this.
  8. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

The price of most good beer makes me feel extra lucky that I enjoy brewing and consuming my own. I'll drink retail products periodically, just to try or to socialize, but beers that cost >$2/bottle are hard for me to justify when I know I could brew something similarly quaffable for considerably less.

jlordi12 likes this.
  9. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Delieverance. 15.99 for a 375 is a bit cheapet then other places but havent bought it in the year the store has had it.

Im buying it Friday. Its Vintage now! ;)

10. This... Stare, drool then buy my six pack of sucks. At least now the quality of the average craft beer is such that I don't care as much anymore & it becomes a nice challenge of best beer for $ ratio...

11. seakayak

seakayak Savant (355) Massachusetts May 20, 2007

Duvel - one of my all-time favorites, but at $17 per 4-pack I can always find something new to try instead.

BTW, is it this steep everywhere, or just Taxachusetts?

12. terence

terence Savant (320) California Mar 18, 2012

I couldn't agree with you guys more. There are so many other options that are less expensive.

13. brian4beer

brian4beer Savant (340) Indiana Jan 27, 2013

Agree with this as every new release is 35-40 bucks a bomber which is crazy expensive but I still buy them. Just hurts a bit more when you buy one of these and it is not that good i.e. the recent black sun stout with cherries was just okay but not worth the 35 dollars. But what do I know they sold out the 111 bottles of the BA Behemoth with cherry that they released today at 40 dollars and sold out in four hours.

14. Deliverance. $16 for a 375ml bottle is way out of line. Too many great less expensive alternatives.

tut2528 likes this.
  15. Squidly

Squidly Savant (435) New Jersey Nov 26, 2006

On the east coast we're lucky to get ANY Russian River. As it is, it takes a trip to Philly and a lot of luck.

16. Loove gulden drak but can't afford 18 buck 4 pks

copslovebeer likes this.
  17. scud

scud Savant (335) Indiana Sep 22, 2010

Even though I love them, FFF bombers (APW and Dreadnaught specifically) are pricey ranging from $10-12. It's just a lot to spend and not know for sure how fresh they are.

18. Schlenkerla Maerzen. Man how I'd love to down 4 or 5 at one sitting; but at $5 a bottle, I can't see spending that amount of $, especially when I pay half that to do so at the source.

ddegennaro and jnoble like this.
  19. Westbrook IPA at $10.99 / 6 pack cans. The brewery is 1 mile from my house, and there are 30 other IPAs I can get for the same amount or cheaper that are consistent. I do like it when it is right, though. I'll go to the brewery and get the growler filled once in a while, just can't pony up that $$ for the cans.
    Oh yeah... And Hopslam... F that noise for $20 / 6.
    Oh yeah... And Special Double Cream Stout at $15 / 6.
    Wait a minute. Damn you Bell's and your awesome, expensive beers!!

20. BA Raspy @ $22 a bottle around here. I really want to try it but the price turns me off.

bozodogbreath and ediaz like this.
  21. RandomBattle

RandomBattle Savant (265) New York Jun 25, 2010

Everything listed here is cheap compared to NY prices, it's such crap. If Hopslam made it to NY that shit would be like $50 a 6 pack...

Squidly likes this.
  22. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

I would so gladly pay that... I live in texas! Somebody message me! I just got two Abyss and I'm getting like 3 more tomorrow. We have jester king stuff too.. thats about all we have to offer though lol.

craigo19 likes this.
  23. mondegreen

mondegreen Savant (410) Georgia Nov 4, 2009

How do you feel about the Great Divide Yeti series, Hoppin Frog BORIS, or Avery's Czar?

24. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

my solution is he never finds out the financing of my habit. :D separate pot of cash.....

Shagator likes this.
  25. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

I second this. I saw Utopias a while back and passed on it. I didn't even consider buying it.

ediaz likes this.
  26. Ditto! I have had some that I thought were pretty fantastic but far too pricey.

27. Price-wise? Or, in general? I don't think the Yeti series is overpriced, and I enjoy them all (perhaps, Belgian Style the least). Regular B.O.R.I.S., I regret to say, I've never had (I've had D.O.R.I.S. and Barrel-Aged B.O.R.I.S.). Hoppin' Frog definitely needs to ease up on the pricing of their beers, overall. The Czar is actually in my fridge. I think I paid $8.99, so not too bad. I'll let you know what I think about it tonight, if I open it.

28. Maine Beer Co. stuff. Love all their beers but find myself passing because of the hefty price tag. $7-8 bucks for a 16.9 fl oz bottle is way out of my budget nowadays.

29. Budweiser. Can't justifiy paying more than $1 for a 12er.

30. World wide stout, anything hoppin frog, most mikkeller, most stillwater, every brew dog. Hopslam for $22 this year sure hurt.

31. Amazed how many folks think ten fidy 4 packs are over priced but if they were bombers for $10 people would buy them like crazy.

Enjoy

jaywz and sarch like this.
  32. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

I definitely agree. It's not over priced at all in my opinion

jaywz likes this.
  33. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Cantillon lawl

VonZipper likes this.
  34. Noelito76

Noelito76 Advocate (535) New York Oct 30, 2004

What's with Mikkeller anyway? I see the prices and I just can't do it.

WeymouthMike and oldp0rt like this.
  35. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

How has nobody said Evil Twin? Some of the stouts they've released lately were like $13 for a 12oz bottle, or $8 IPAs. Its good beer but c'mon, its not that sought after or rare. Hell, they sit on the shelves around here for months

36. Firestone Walker XVI (it was good, but not $21 good)
    Any Maine Beer Company Offerings
    Ten Fidy
    Angel's Share (thought, I've been staring at it for months now. I might just try it)
    Hoppin Frog BORIS
    50/50 Eclipse
    Beer Geek Breakfast Weasel

37. Phacoman

Phacoman Savant (265) Pennsylvania Jun 26, 2011

That $85 was for a 6 pack, plus two glasses. Still expensive but not insane.

38. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (660) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

Bourbon County. Wanted $26 a 4 pack when first released in our area. Lots of cheaper and tastier options (IMO).

Tried Hopslam this weekend. Best IPA I've ever had to date so it was worth the pricetag to at least try a single (can't get the Pliny's or Heady T.in my area so I'm still waiting on those).

39. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (660) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

For all the overpriced crap, Old Raspy regular is sooooo awesomely priced for how tasty it is!!!!

ironchefmiyagi13 likes this.
  40. The funny thing about that is a $17.99 6 pack is the equivalent (on a price per ounce basis) as a $5.50 bomber. People would sing its praises if it were a $5.50 bomber!

Def. an expensive 6er though.

sarch, Shagator and Powderhornphil like this.