1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

beers you like but cant justify the $

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by djrn2, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Thedrizzle

Thedrizzle Savant (455) Florida Sep 10, 2012

2. Exactly my answer

3. Wouldn't know. I don't buy expensive beers, so I haven't tasted them. Too many good beers available at reasonable prices to take a crapshoot on a pricey beer I haven't tried.

4. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

For real. I get it for like $8-9/4-pack. One of the best values in craft imo.

Whimpers likes this.
  5. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (945) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Cantillion. Do you know how much a plane ticket to fly across the Atlantic is these days!?

6. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (945) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

It's $14 in WI.

seakayak likes this.
  7. Scaldis Prestige de Nuits and BFM Abbaye de St. Bon Chien.

Love them both dearly and let them sit on shelves every time.

8. How about the whole 50/50 Eclipse series? The Elijah Craig 12 this year was fantastic, but I won't be dropping 30$ on another bottle. One and done.

beerme411 likes this.
  9. codysjb

codysjb Savant (400) Florida Jun 16, 2010

Black Damnation - Saw a bottle and just couldnt get past the upwards of 70 bucks price tag

10. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (260) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

Madame Rose. Truly a phenomenal beer but at $20 or so a bottle I can't pull the trigger more than once or twice a year.

BrownAleMale likes this.
  11. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

I would like to try more stuff from "The Bruery"................. but damn their prices are steep!:(

12. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (680) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Rogue Double Chocolate Stout

13. Nick1513

Nick1513 Aspirant (35) Jan 26, 2013

Sculpin.

14. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,105) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Cantillon, as others said.

15. spoony

spoony Advocate (525) Colorado Aug 1, 2012

Anything Swiss...Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien and Brasserie Trois Dames, for example.

16. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

Which version?

17. Mikkeller
    Evil Twin

Mebuzzard likes this.
  18. Ten Fidy for sure.

19. Someone already beat me to it, but Black Betty. Tried it. Liked it. But $30 liked it? Not so much.

20. codysjb

codysjb Savant (400) Florida Jun 16, 2010

V, saw it in Amsterdam but just couldn't say yes

21. Pretty much everything Rogue makes.

22. richj1970

richj1970 Advocate (725) Alabama Oct 26, 2012

How much are you paying for Ten Fidy? Getting it around these parts for about $12 or $13 per 4 pack.

23. $12?? Your store must not know anything about what they are selling.
    I've lived in CO most of my life and on average at least $16 a 4 pack.

24. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

I am still relatively new to this and i have a questions
    What does the BA stand for for Old Rasputin?

25. BA = barrel aged.

26. Shagator

AQQ
    I really wish these two in particular were cheaper, but I dont think I ever look at the price on Dreadnaught. i will check the price on APW and then somehow justify the price. With that being said Dreadnaught is my favorite beer and I have a hard time finding it around here.

27. Shagator

Thank you. I realized that after i read a few more posts.

28. I'd love to pay less for it but I think it slays Hopslam for $5 bucks less, its available year round and 2 of my favorite watering holes sell it for $5 a pint. Now that I can buy fresh sixpacks and not dusty bombers it has vaulted to the top of my list of available ipa's I can get my hands on..........

29. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

I've never had it but how about Brew Dog's "Sink the Bismarck?" $110? Seriously? With the ABV it has is this even really "beer?"

30. Shagator

Hoppin Frog

have had BORIS, DORIS and Hop Dam and while they are all good, there are better for cheaper

craigo19 likes this.
  31. Bruery, except Rugbrod, love it and a fair price

32. mondegreen

mondegreen Savant (410) Georgia Nov 4, 2009

I picked those three because they are fair comparisons to Ten Fidy, IMO. The 8.99 22oz Czar is ~$0.41 per ounce. Ten Fidy (@14.99/4 pack) is ~$0.31 per ounce. That puts the Czar at equivalent to ~$19.50/four pack.

I'm glad to have Ten Fidy in a flexible format at a reasonable price per ounce. I Wish more breweries would put solid Imperial Stouts in 4 or 6 packs at that price point.

Hoptologist likes this.
  33. sarch

sarch Aficionado (140) Illinois Jan 16, 2013

It's been said before, but an $8 bomber isn't terrible for something of TF caliber.

34. Point proven on Ten Fidy. It's actually $15.99/4-pack near me, but that still puts it at about $0.33/oz. Plus, I doubt I'm going to enjoy The Czar as much. Bombers vs. 4-pack cans must be some sort of optical illusion to me.

I'll do my best to justify it to say that I'm kind of a 'ticker'; so the less I can spend on a single beer experience, the better. If they sold Ten Fidy in a $9 bomber, I'd buy it over the 4-pack. Although, I like the 4-pack for laying down a couple.

Either way, no points this round for me. I'll omit it from my original list. Perhaps, the REAL reason I've been straying from buying it is because I still have a couple in the cellar to enjoy.

35. Nick1513

Nick1513 Aspirant (35) Jan 26, 2013

I suppose. I wish they made smaller bottles or four-packs though. I can't get Hopslam (even though I have some I got in a trade), but I have access to other year round IPAs that I'd rather buy.

36. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

It is a bargain at that price, so good.

vonnegut21 and digdug1810 like this.
  37. Knapp85

Knapp85 Advocate (700) Pennsylvania Dec 25, 2009

If a beer is REALLY expensive I will usually buy it once and hope that it's not something I'll feel the need to have again. Bought Utopias in 09 and enjoyed it BUT the odds of me ever buying it again are very slim.

I feel Evil Twin is too expensive to buy by the bottle as well. So I make sure to grab it if it's ever on draft somewhere during a happy hour or something. There are plenty more out there that are cost too much but can't think of them off hand.

38. I would say things like Utopias. I was able to try some of the most recent vintage and it was amazing, but that is some serious coin for "beer".

aleslover and Thickfreakness like this.
  39. Some places trying to sell it for $299 near me! I'd rather have Johnny Blue and Jose Family Especial, and still have some $ left over for some fine craft brew!

40. tut2528

tut2528 Savant (470) Illinois Sep 26, 2008

i agree with what most people have already mentioned...

Mikkeller (every brew)
    Lost Abbey (mainly Deliverance and there 375 ml bottles)
    Hoppin Frog

GoGators likes this.