1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

beers you like but cant justify the $

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by djrn2, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Agreed, one of my favorite IPA's but 11 bucks for a bottle is crazy. Not to mention the beer is never all that fresh around here. Really the only time I get it is if I see it on draft on the rare occasion.

2. Its a 10.5% RIS! Thats a deal, and if i remember correctly you stated a thread the other day asking what would be in your dream six pack, then you said you were partial to stouts?! This beer should be in your wheel house dude.

nickapalooza86 likes this.
  3. $14.99 in upstate NY all day long.

4. Mikkeller and BrewDog. I've had stuff from both when they were really on and were absolutely great but for the most part they're not, maybe due to the lag in distribution and/or the distance they have to travel? Any of the IPA's from either I tend to ignore any more except their barrel aged stuff which I take more interest in (but depends on the price).

5. 510a

510a Savant (355) Washington Jan 12, 2013

Driftwood Singularity, Red Poppy,Flanders Fred, MOAS,..to name a few I have passed on multiple times, but have purchased Bourbon Angels Share,Fremont B bomb, O De Tart,BA Raspy. All of these are still available by me except Mother, so theres a chance I may BREAK Down on payday for the FlanFred, so tempting...drool.

6. blacktieman

blacktieman Disciple (50) Tennessee Aug 27, 2012

I just compare high-gravity beer prices to wine prices. It always favors the beer.

seakayak likes this.
  7. By the time you factor in bottle cost plus shipping = any lambic other than Lindemans, Timmermans or Chapeau (more like Crapeau).

8. fff has been pretty over rated so far from what ive tried. raspy is jus way over rated too for a pint. theres plenty of others to mention as well....

AbeFroman likes this.
  9. Great Divide BA has set the benchmark for me... I refuse to open my Black Ops / Black Betty. I hated the GD belgian imperial stout.

10. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I have never once even considered buying a Mikkeller beer.

BleepBloopBlap and DogfishJoe like this.
  11. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

I'm personally having a hard time justifying the cost of the Lost Abbey small bottles. Deliverance and Angels Share are tasty beers - but damn do they hurt my wallet.

12. Devil Dancer

BarRoomHero88 likes this.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

If I like something I usually get it, that said some beers from some breweries give me pause.

MBC
    Evil Twin
    Mikkeller
    Bruery

14. Guess I need to start paying better attention, or it's just in that high demmand that the locals don't care.

15. dcloeren

dcloeren Savant (460) Texas Sep 15, 2010

BA Old Raspy popped in my head immediately. I really enjoyed it the couple of times that I have had it but $20+ isn't worth it IMO...

16. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

$15 for a 4 pack of Sixth Glass. It's a great beer, don't get me wrong. But not $15 good

17. Any purchase I catch hell over from my wife.

18. Is it bad I'm gonna say Hopslam. Its a great beer but not worth $20 / 6pk. I'd rather have Heady or Ghandi

19. 90% of bombers

craigo19 and Schmuck82 like this.
  20. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

50/50 Eclipse and 3F Goulden Blend 350ml for $25

Edit: Barrel Aged Old Rasputin. Great beer but way too pricey.

21. Maine Beer Co. - Decent beer but no pale ale should cost $6-8 for 500 ml

jlordi12 likes this.
  22. TypicalSituation

TypicalSituation Initiate (15) Feb 7, 2013

I cant say I would do it every week, but Hopslam is great, and I actually dont mind paying 18.99 a 6pack for it on the rare ccasion that it comes to wilmington, nc

23. Schmuck82

Schmuck82 Initiate (0) Texas Nov 13, 2008

In Texas, Jester King is really good but their ~10 bottles are a bit too much for me.

24. Im in Charlotte and this was my first time having hopslam. Got a 6pk and a half (most i could get). Had 2 and I was ok with that. Gave 1 away and have a 6 im looking to trade out. I liked Lag Sucks, Heady, Abrasive and Ghandi better. Not taking away from Hopslam since its a single and 10%. Its good but I dont think its $20 good. I can get any of the other ones at half the price. Next time it launches I wont go out of my way to get it. Just my opinion though.

25. Sculpin & Hopslam - Great beers but lots of alternatives.

26. DStoked

DStoked Savant (330) Ohio Sep 28, 2011

I can justify a 6 of Hopslam a year. But it hurts.

27. betterbgood

betterbgood Aficionado (170) Ohio Aug 23, 2008

Great lakes brewing co, barrell aged blackout stout four pack for $29

28. SirWalkAbout

SirWalkAbout Savant (290) Texas Dec 6, 2011

29. Gatch

Gatch Savant (450) Massachusetts Nov 29, 2006

Hey c'mon...everything they make it good! (but yeah, even more over-priced on-tap)

My contribution would be the 375ml bottles from The Lost Abbey/Port. Red Poppy and Deliverance were incredible, but $18-$19 each? Still two of my beer purchase regrets to this day based on price alone.

Edit: also Brooklyn Black OPS as someone on the first page mentioned...I was really excited to try it until that price tag smacked me in the face and insulted my income bracket.

30. rcroce1

rcroce1 Disciple (70) New Jersey May 21, 2009

Everything by The Bruery & Jolly Pumpkin. Dogfish Head is really starting to get out of hand as well.

yeti123 and djrn2 like this.
  31. CUE45

CUE45 Aficionado (215) Virginia Jul 29, 2008

Oh, trust, everything I've had from Maine Brewing has been delicious, and I still look forward to Dinner, whenever that's supposed to hit my area. Even with them giving part of their profits to charity I struggle with buying or not buying bottles whenever I see them on the shelves. Sometimes, I still can't justify the cost.

32. Geno78

Geno78 Aficionado (215) Ohio Apr 1, 2010

If I can't justify the price, I probably wouldn't have tried it in the first place.

Then again, I'm not into the reviewing/ticking aspect.

33. 50-70% Mikkellers (the ones I actually like)

jtdolla911 likes this.
  34. alanc

alanc Aficionado (105) California Aug 13, 2009

Agree with Lost Abbey away from the brewery. At the brewery it is 15.00 a bottle. Not exactly a deal, but it helps. The other way is to only have these beers on tap. 4oz sample at the brewery is 3.00. The one I don't get is the Bruery. In the scheme of things all are 750ml. Their sours are 16.00 and the BA stuff is 20 to 24.00.

Stone on the other hand for their 500ml specials are 16 to 18. AleSmith is 25.00 to 32.00 depending if it is a one and done or not. FW anniversary blends are 20 to 25 for a 22oz. It is just common place to drop 20 + on a special release in this area. The worst is all the honey holes that used to have Pliny for 4.99 a bottle are long gone. Their all at 6.99 now.

35. Agree about the Golden Blend. Crazy expensive but I paid it once in order to try it. I rationalized it by calculating what the shipping cost would be from one of the Belgian websites. You had to order more than six to get them cheaper per bottle than what I paid. Also, the eclipse beers are way too expensive. Besides the Elijah Craigs, I will probably only buy treatments that I haven't tried before and even then ill be hesitant.

djrn2 likes this.
  36. GBGrinnell

GBGrinnell Zealot (95) Minnesota May 2, 2011

uh..... 4 packs at $14-16 are pretty close to $8 bomber. You should be getting a price break for the rough equivalent of 2 bombers (4X12oz). Ten Fidy is overpriced when Old Rasputin is $8-10 a fourpack.

nickapalooza86 likes this.
  37. Jolly Pumpkin La Parcela. I would gladly pay 15 bucks for a six pack of it, but 17.99 per 22 oz. is absurd.

38. Beer Geek Brunch Weasel Cavaldos edition. It's a great beer. But at $2.50 / Oz....a one time experience and treat.

39. ColdOne

ColdOne Savant (440) New York Jan 19, 2013

Schmaltz Fat Lenny's RIPA
    and
    Captain Lawrence Imperial IPA

are the two beers I actually "visit" every time I go to the beer store, smile at lovingly, and then walk away from. I don't think the pricing is a poor value, just too much for my budget.

And: I don't really mind so much. It makes it all the more wonderful when I get to drink them them.

40. FFF Bombers. I love Dreadnaught and Artic Panzer Wolf but rarely drink them due to to the $12 price tag.