1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

beers you like but cant justify the $

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by djrn2, Feb 5, 2013.

1. djrn2

djrn2 Champion (890) New Jersey Nov 4, 2009

Drie Fonteinen Schaerbeekse Kriek

Rutager and Danny1217 like this.
  2. jeremiahoden

jeremiahoden Savant (285) Indiana Apr 4, 2012

Fruet and Utopias even though i bought mulitple of both!

djrn2 likes this.
  3. I feel like this has just turned into "what do you think is more expensive than it should be'" which to me is different than what the thread title suggests. For me, beers I want (and have had) but can't justify the price for what they are: any lost abbey 375 and all Maine beer company.

4. Any Trappist beer. Those monks charity only goes so far lol!!! I do get a few bottles around Christmas time but sheesh it's expensive

aleslover likes this.
  5. I really wanted to try this but passed on it because of the high price. I kind of regret it and will probably splurge if I see it on the shelf again.

6. For me it has to Surly Abrasive, great beer but the place 10mins away across the river charges $19/4 pack. While a great beer (possibly the best DIPA on the planet) man it is hard to shell out a Andrew Jackson for 4 beers... Don't go quoting bomber prices because the only one of those I buy on the regular is Hop Stoopid at 3.99....

7. Corey17

Corey17 Aficionado (115) New York Jan 12, 2013

Dogfish 120 minute @ $11 for 12 oz. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice treat, but reminded me more of a barley wine than an IPA.

aleslover likes this.
  8. anything drie foneteinin (sp?) or lost abbey angel's share, 30-40 a piece? once or twice a year, maybe

9. MeadGuyfromMD

MeadGuyfromMD Savant (260) Maryland May 23, 2007

Found a shop with 4 different versions of FF Eclipse, but at $30/btl. I'm a pass.

jtdolla911 likes this.
  10. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

It's $12.99 / 4-pack at all the Total Wines in the Tampa Bay Area. For $16.99, you can get the 4-pack with a nice tulip glass. I have 4 glasses. o_O

ediaz and aleslover like this.
  11. they recently landed in MA, and we got seven varieties, and ive seen 30 and 35 for selling prices. i picked up one, but that'll be it for me. its damn good, but there's too many good stouts out there to justify the price for me

12. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

I usually see it for $9.99 - $10.99 around here. I love quads and drink it often because there are not very many available at that price point. Unless I'm just not thinking hard enough. :confused:

13. i find that evil twin is in the same category. both make awesome beers, must run in the family, but at their prices id rather pick something local

teorn88 likes this.
  14. Quite a few beers from Surly. Coffee Bender, Abrasive, Wet, and Darkness are all to some degree more than they should be in my opinion. I also think Bell's special releases are overpriced. Everything I've had has been a bit underwhelming at $15 or more for a 6pk.

15. Speedway Stout at $14/750 ml. Bolt Cutter at $23/750 ml. BCBS at $21/4 pack. I know, I know it's cheap comparatively, but it's also too much for me.

jtdolla911 likes this.
  16. Living in the Pittsburgh area, I've grown accustomed to high beer prices. Some things are ridiculous even for PA though. Picked up 500 ml bottles of Zoe and Mo the other day, but at ~$9-10 a bottle I can't see myself trying them a second time.

I can see myself justifying high prices to try new beers at least once, but that's usually it. Hey, tickers gotta tick, right?

17. Older Viscosity @ $18 for that little bottle. Seriously, wtf???

djrn2 likes this.
  18. holy shit, 9-10? Only Lunch would be worth it, and even then, it might not be fresh enough to demand that price. I get it for 7 when I can find it and still think that's high

19. atomic

atomic Savant (455) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Thats actually a good price. I just paid $25 for a 4pk.

But yea I can't justify that price either, but I need it for a trade.

20. FozzieThaBurr

FozzieThaBurr Disciple (65) Feb 8, 2013

BA Old Raspy. A friend and I split one during the Superbowl and I thought it was fantastic; like BCBS but significantly better. Then I saw the $24.99 price sticker. It certainly wasn't that good.

Same goes for any 375ml that is more than $6 (which it seems they all are).

djrn2 likes this.
  21. I liked Pretty Things Meadowlark, but it was a splurge and I wouldn't pay the price again.

jtdolla911 likes this.
  22. Sarcasm? I hope so...

23. ok..am I taking crzy pills?

24. Hopslam. Passed on a sixer today priced at $20.99. I bought a six pack of schlafly's A IPA and a bomber of Palate Wrecker the same price. Sculpin is also on the more expensive side...but if its less than 3weeks old, that's all the justification I need lol

25. this thread is just stupid...
    yea, some beers are more than others; but no one is making any of you buy them. If all of these brews being mentioned are so over priced, why do they sell so quick?
    Besides, these arent brews made to drink on a regular basis anyway. Plus, most pints are at least $6 at a bar but likely more, especially in the NYC and tri state area..
    A bottle of wine is at least $10-$15 if you dont want junk...so....

I have seen these mentioned in this thread:

Maine Beer Co. - Well worth it - all of them...especially fresh lunch - $6-$7 - yea. So well crafted its borderline insane
    Hill Farmstead - They actually sell them cheap at the brewery ~ $8-$15 bomber - which is beyon worth every single penny.
    Evil Twin - id pay $12 for an Even More Jesus in a second, even if it meant skipping a morning dunkin donut coffee for a few days to make up the difference
    DFH Big beers (noble rot, namaste, Red & White etc)...again, well worth the $12-$15 price. These beers are so well crafted with such amazing ingredients and are absolutely perfect to pair with food; in fact I feel like there are not many others crafted better for that purpose. Id buy them over a $12 bottle of wine in a heartbeat.
    Drie Fonteinen/Cantillon/RR/La Folie or any (real) geuze or lambic - seriously $15 is too much? do you even know what is put into these brews - time, man hours, space, expert expert brewing knowledge and MASTER blending...for a beverage that took at a minimum 3 years before it leaves the brewery to be any less than $15 is a steal.

Point is, if its too expensive, dont buy it and leave it on the shelf for me...

26. BCBS. More so now that the money goes to AB/Inbev

27. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

This thread is great.

Ted Fidy and Gubna come to mind for me. Good beers, but I rarely buy them due to the cost.

28. Lerxst

Lerxst Savant (425) Florida Jun 17, 2005

+1 to this. People are bemoaning the price of Hopslam, but I paid $18/sixer. That works out to $0.25/oz or $5.50 for 22oz. That's pretty damn reasonable.

It's all psychological. When a sixer rings up at nearly $20 with tax it seems expensive. But you have to figure $/oz

CUE45 likes this.
  29. Yea, not paying that much for a pint of beer, sorry.

Can I just answer most bombers in general?

30. ...
    that's what we are doing bro
    that's the whole point of this thread

31. It's the same out here on Long Island. Only reason I bought it was cuz I have never had it before. Not sure if I would pay for it again. Just have to wait till I crack it open.

seakayak likes this.
  32. Whoa whoa chill out BRAH. I for one don't think people are saying these beers are overpriced, just that they can't afford em. As a recent grad struggling to find a job in my field, I can say my current coffee shop job doesn't allow me to buy bombers of Pipeworks, cases of BCBS ect ect. I splurge occasionally, found a BCBCS that I bought, but I don't think I will buy some more (also, they are hard to find). So I think the point of this thread is not that these brewers are overpricing their beer (though some places do, like FFF), but that we all can't afford great beer all the time.

So please don't lecture people who can't afford the beer you can.

jtdolla911 likes this.
  33. Indybier

Indybier Aficionado (155) Illinois Nov 15, 2011

Damn...I feel like a cheep azz having passed on the HS @ 18. Nothing against the price, the beer is just not worth it. Gimme a four pack of DFH Palo Santo Marron anyday when I'm bustin' 15+ for a pack of 12oz beers.

Hoptimus-Prime likes this.
  34. Duvel. Someday I may elect to pay $18.99 for a four pack, But not today.

seakayak likes this.
  35. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (280) Nebraska May 25, 2005

duvel prices are wonky

its like $20/4 here but i can drive like 1 hour to a different state and get it for $13

ommegang stuff is weird too. 750s of ommegang are $10 here....i was in kansas last week and saw 4 packs for $8.99

seakayak likes this.
  36. qchic

qchic Advocate (515) Maryland Jul 6, 2004

caldera ipa- $12 for a 6er is not completely prohibitive, but others tend to be a better value.

When I "need" to justify spending money on beer, I think about how much I've spent on lesser beers at sporting events or concerts.

37. EdH

EdH Aficionado (230) Utah Jul 27, 2005

38. whoa...im not buying cases of anything, (ive never bought a case of anything - aside from some molson canadian in my college years) nor am i saying I can afford what you cant...im not assuming anything and neither should you...I am just defending the "elevated" costs of some brews/breweries.
    I know the OP does say "beers you like but cant justify..." but it seemed like some posts were geared towards complaining about overpricing...rather than liking a beer or a worthwile purchase.

39. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Another vote for "this thread is stupid".
    I know I drink great craft beer for the taste. Not looking for endless amounts of walezbro to fill the gullet.

If you are an M-series person on a Kia budget then quitcherbitchin and enjoy either less M-series brews or take solace in Kia level shtuff. There is a LOT of GOOD to GREAT stuff out there. Some walez won't suit your palette, regardless of price, anyways.

Bottom line, if you can't afford it then don't buy it. Life lesson.

DrinkSlurm likes this.
  40. Gubna and Ten Fidy, loves em but there is so much more out there to try