1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

beers you like but cant justify the $

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by djrn2, Feb 5, 2013.

1. craigo19

craigo19 Savant (260) Michigan Oct 12, 2009

I would gladly trade Expedition Stout for some Abyss.
  2. Gatch

Gatch Savant (450) Massachusetts Nov 29, 2006

Whoaaa...Dinner? Explain. I'm assuming since Lunch is an IPA, Dinner will be a DIPA?
    slarrage likes this.
  3. EdH

EdH Aficionado (230) Utah Jul 27, 2005

But see, there's a difference between "can't afford it" and "not worth it". I'm sure it wouldn't break most of us to flush a $20 down the toilet--but does that make it a good fucking idea?
    YogiBeer likes this.
  4. I think there are way toooooo many options to say you "can't" afford something versus "not buying" something. there are a lot of great beers out there, but with the growing variety of beers, it's hard to justify buying one particular beer at a high price.
  5. If I like it and can get at the release or issue price, I can justify the $. No matter (if I like it). What I can't justify sometimes is the trade value of something I like. Taste in the buds of the beholder...
  6. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Cognac was insanity.
    jtdolla911 likes this.
  7. No doubt , there are beers that I would pay that for...balancing price per ounce...3bombers vs a six pack but HS isn't one of those. Was good, but not the phenominal beer I was expecting considering all the hype.
  8. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

How much of the price and demand is driven by the brewery and how much is driven by sites like this? I think the seasonality and special releases of some of these beers drive up the price. I dont think I would pay $18-$20 for a six of Hopslam if I could get it all the time. But since I cant, I probably buy more than I should and spend more than I should. I think it is worth every penny. I also think some of the demand is driven by what some people are saying on sites like this. It is a great tool and I am at the point where I am trying new beers and I look on here to see the ratings and what people are saying on the forums. With that being said I have paid a lot for a beer because i saw a good score or recommendation on here. I wonder if the breweries are looking at some of the posts. Just my two cents.
  9. Sculpin. I went to the store today and finally found it......for 20$ a sixer.
  10. obrike

obrike Savant (415) Texas Jun 19, 2009

Just about everything from Jester King:rolleyes:
  11. djrn2

djrn2 Champion (815) New Jersey Nov 4, 2009

Ya know whats fucked up is, I see differentiation of 4-6 bucks a 6pk and 2-4 bucks a 22/750 between the stores I go to. Some mofo's are definitely price gouging.
  12. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

The thread title is refers to justification. If you need to justify them you probably can't afford to be dropping the $.
  13. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

2013 is 12.49 here..
  14. Agreed
  15. My local bottleshop finally got a few bottles of Barrel-Aged Bigfoot in, $22 a pop. I knew it was going to be expensive being in Pittsburgh and all, but almost $1/oz? No thank you.
  16. Chris77McGrath

Chris77McGrath Savant (280) Ohio Feb 8, 2013

17. How has this thread not been banned yet? This is usually right up the "not in the spirit of this site" alley.
  18. jbdpsu82

jbdpsu82 Savant (400) Pennsylvania Aug 28, 2012

I guess I lucked out when I found a sixer for $13.
  19. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (480) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

Everything from Maine Beer Co. Very good beers, but twice the price I would be willing to spend on them. I know some bars even refuse to carry them on tap as the pricing would be so outrageous relative to other pale ales and IPAs using the typical bar mark-up.
  20. Sculpin 6-pack prices are a bit much here, too. Damn good beer though, I find them for about $16.99 and will buy one every once in a while. I can't help myself.
  21. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

Everything Unibroue.
  22. They are that much everywhere. Salt in the wounds is when you get an old one.
  23. Seriously? I am not its biggest advocate, but in SF, a 750 of Fin Du Monde goes for like 8-9 bucks. I think most of their beers are pretty well priced for the quality.
  24. You don't check the bottle dates?
  25. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

Yeah, maybe you're right. I might have to rethink my original post.
  26. I stopped buying it after being burned so many times without dates. They have dates now? I got to buy beer for our company picnic 2 years ago, but a bought a bunch of Sculpin, preached the gospel about Mango/Pineapple/Peach super goodness. Had 30 people take sips and sniffs of their beers and call me a charlatan. I was done. Then again, I also hear they have color TV now.
  27. Hoppin' Frog. So good, but the price here in Florida is ouch-ey. $30 for Hop Damn Triple IPA. I'll settle for a nice Ballast Point Sculpin.
  28. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

I love sours, but I cannot afford to drink a $10-20 bottle all the time. This is why I have started to brew more sours. Even a fruited one might only cost about $1 a bottle.
  29. Sculpin. $15-16 and hard to find it fresh. Usually 2-3+ month old bottles on the shelf and they just don't taste near as good.

Ten Fidy is good but not worth it to me for $14/4. Too many good stouts around the $9-10 range that I like just as much or better.
  30. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

Bells HopSlam
    Troegs Nugget Nectar
  31. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (420) Indiana Oct 19, 2006

Dreadnaught - I love it but I don't buy it. The price point is just too steep for an everyday beer. Others have mentioned the 50/50's and BA Raspy. Even as "specialty" brews, there are other on the shelf that cause me to leave the 50's and BA Raspy behind.
  32. BA Old Raspy (a pint of beer for $23... fuck me!)
    Brooklyn Black OPS (give me $25 of BCS any day!)
    50/50 (almost $30 for a good, not great RIS...pass)
    quite a few DFH bottles that I'd buy WAY more often if the price was a little lower
    Founders Devil Dancer
  33. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Savant (260) Illinois Apr 4, 2007

Eclipse 50/50. Every time I look at the price tag I always just shake my head and move on.
  34. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (520) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Cascade's new pricing structure.
    writerLJBerg likes this.
  35. Rogue's beers seemed over priced to me considering they are not super high ABV... so it can't be justified by the massive amounts of malt needed.
  36. Focusf111

Focusf111 Savant (340) Vermont Jun 21, 2012

50/50 Eclipse
    BA Rasputin
    This years Ommegang anniversary
    3L double bastard.
  37. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

the expensive ones that taste good.
  38. You forgot the "/end thread" after your statement :p