Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine and get 12 issues / year of fresh beer content delivered to your door each month.

Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Beers you like, but everyone else doesn't like

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by keithmurray, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Trader Joe's Boatswain HLV. $2.50/bomber!

2. Barrelsnbeer

Barrelsnbeer Aficionado (190) North Carolina Oct 6, 2012 Verified

yo la mango from the now defunct craggie in ashville. was one of the greatest beers ive ever had. im pretty sure my palate and the beer had sensual barry white sex with every glass i consumed. every time id pour a taste for some one they would say,"yeah thats a lot better than i expected, but ill have X other beer instead" :eek:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/21841/81324

3. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (795) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008 Subscriber

Grain Belt Premium. Gets a 76 here, but I like it. One of the few really good American Adjunct Lagers, in my opinion.

djsmith1174 likes this.
  4. Bridgeport Blue Heron. Cherry popper. May be mostly nostalgia at this point, but I love it.

5. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,245) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

You're searching by style where it filters for # of reviews. I don't dispute that they have a large # of reviews. Most of these are like 3rd page when you filter by review score. Plus, in the big picture, it's not cool to like Hefe-Weizens in general... at least that's the clear, clear vibe I get.

djsmith1174 and beastmammoth like this.
  6. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

7. Sam Adams triple bock... Please send your god awful beers to me!

8. darky

darky Savant (270) South Dakota Apr 16, 2010

Labatt Blue (straight out of the bottle)

I'm not even kidding. It is truly a full point better from a bottle than a proper pilsener glass, I will drink two (at least) every time I'm at my parents' house.

seakayak likes this.
  9. Kerrie

Kerrie Advocate (565) Michigan Aug 24, 2012 Verified

Mitchell57 likes this.
  10. Redhook Audible Ale

Rekrule likes this.
  11. Frankinstiener

Frankinstiener Savant (405) Illinois Jul 28, 2009 Verified

I agree Hefeweizens don't get enough love in general. But these are all 90's, it doesnt matter how many beers with one review are between these and the top rated. If you take only Hefe's with over 100 reviews all of these are still in the top 10. They are 3 of the highest rated hefeweizens in the world.

12. alex_hart

alex_hart Advocate (605) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2013

Brother David's Triple Abbey style ale from Anderson Valley (one of my all time favorites)
    Troeg's Mad Elf (my favorite belgian by far)
    Leinenkugal's Wee Heavy Scotch Ale (my favorite of the style by far)

13. Yeah but none of them sniff the top 250. He thinks they should, he thinks they're great.

yemenmocha likes this.
  14. Also, Mean Old Tom! It's an 88 and I have no idea what people are tasting. It's the best session(ish) stout I've ever had and it isn't very close

15. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (935) Finland Aug 15, 2010

Desperados. Taiwan Beer. Mikkeller Black Hole Peat Whiskey Aged. Delirium Red.

16. Jonada

Jonada Advocate (575) New Jersey May 23, 2012 Verified

Hell or High Watermelon is rated fairly low, but I thought it was refreshing and pretty tasty. It's a good summer session beer.

As for a more mass produced beer, I think Bass is a little under appreciated.

17. TongoRad

TongoRad Poobah (1,035) New Jersey Jun 3, 2004 Verified

I've been drinking a lot of these as well. I'm of two minds about it- on one hand it is not as rich and malty as the best Maibocks and probably doesn't stand up to scrutiny in that regard, but on the other it is just so freakin' pleasant and drinkable, which is how I generally look at it. Pour, drink, repeat.

I like their O'fest even better, and buy it by the case, it seems to have a nicer balance and fits the style more. Surprisingly it is only ranked 77 (?!!), but I suspect a lot of that is due to misplaced expectations with people expecting the darker Marzen style rather than the paler Weis'n style.

yemenmocha likes this.
  18. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Champion (855) New York Nov 11, 2010 Verified

Rogue's ever hated Voodoo Bacon Maple Ale. It is so true to what is advertised it almost hurts how well they executed it. I definitely give them, and this beer, mass credit for that.

supermodified likes this.
  19. hustlemuscle

hustlemuscle Savant (425) Ohio Jan 13, 2004 Verified

I enjoyed it, but I didn't review it. Thought it was darn fine, especially for a fairly young brewery.

20. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (965) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

The one that sticks out most for me is Infinium. I used to love popping that on new years instead of Champagne.....really enjoyed the beer, but people here seem to hate it.

sacrelicio and palmdalethriller like this.
  21. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (670) Iowa Aug 7, 2011 Verified

Except for Imperial, which is one of my picks.

22. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (535) New York Mar 7, 2010

I just had this for the first time this weekend and I loved it. It was a tad too bitter at the end but overall I think it was great, especially for the price.

As for the other beers I like that aren't popular:

Lobster Lover's Beer
    Molson XXX
    Natty Daddy
    Samuel Adams Imperial White
    Bud Black Crown

23. You're absolutely right. It's not as rich and malty as some, but what I like about it is the peppery note that comes in around mid-palate. Some Maibocks (particularly American-made ones) seem to get more of a lemony note instead. Good, but not quite the same thing for me.

Speaking of ``pour drink repeat'', I made a BBQ chicken the other day in my rotisserie cooker and blasted through a couple HB Maibocks with dinner. Damn, that stuff went well with the food!

I also like HB O'fest and agree with you about the ranking.

TongoRad likes this.
  24. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (400) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

I'm a sucker for the leinenkugel spring/summer variety pack.

25. wardenclyffe

wardenclyffe Savant (250) Virginia Sep 10, 2010

Magic Hat #9 and Porkslap

dar482 likes this.
  26. PBR.....none of my crew will drink it. I get mocked every time I drink a few around them. Hey $17 a 30 pack is a great deal on a very refreshing beer. I will mix others in as well but it is my go to. I have had many "Micro" beers that I will say are worse than PBR and cost much more.

Enjoy

27. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Champion (940) Michigan Aug 29, 2012 Verified

This question could mean several different things depending on how you interpret it. For example, some are taking "other BAs don't like" to mean "outside the top 250" (or similar). Others are taking it to mean what beers do you like that are generally low-rated (80 or less).

If we're talking beers I think are outstanding, but only have moderate support through BA reviews:
    • Rayon Vert - this is one of my favorite/top-rated beers right now, but rAvg is only 3.88
    • Sky High Rye - a really fantastic beer, but only a 3.77 rAvg

And if we're talking beers I generally like, but are lower-rated:
    • ZÔN - this is only a 3.54 rAvg, but I really like it for the style.
    • Boddingtons Pub Ale - I actually think this one is pretty refreshing, but it's a 3.21. I think the nitro turns some people off
    • Magic Hat #9 - interesting, but a little odd. It really gets no love on BA (3.41 rAvg)

yemenmocha and dar482 like this.
  28. Reneejane

Reneejane Savant (490) Illinois Jan 15, 2004

Bass, on tap, surprised to see how lowly it's rated on BA.

Beerista likes this.
  29. dar482

dar482 Champion (760) New York Mar 9, 2007 Verified

I was thinking these exact two.

wardenclyffe likes this.
  30. palmdalethriller

palmdalethriller Savant (315) California Dec 26, 2007 Subscriber

Guinness Draught - I agree: there are better Dry Irish Stouts out there. There are better beers available at most of the bars I frequent as well. But sometimes, I just want that Guinness.

hardy008 likes this.
  31. Kind of a reach since its 88 on here - but Troubadour Obscura. I found it a mind-blowing experience...

32. BigBarley

BigBarley Savant (330) Texas Aug 5, 2011

Left Hand "Barrel-Aged Wake Up Dead"
    I love the hell outta that stuff, but it's only got a 77 on here. Surprising, considering the vast hard-on for BA beers.

33. BeerLover99

BeerLover99 Advocate (745) Illinois Dec 13, 2008

I agree. Very underrated beer, could drink it all day.

34. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (965) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

That beer was so crazy thin, it was like barrel aged water to me.

35. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Advocate (610) Illinois Jan 14, 2013 Verified

Bad Elmer's Porter and Wheat both by Upland. Been drinking them since college. I'd also say Wee Mac by Sun King. I'll throw in Grain Belt Premium from Minnesota. That's pretty solid ice cold on a hot day. I'm sure that other folks like these, but these are beers that I buy when I'm in the area that are always available and BAs couldn't care less about.

I also like Gorch Fock and Rabbid Rabbit by 3 Floyd's. I only mention those because I bet they're outside of most folks top 20 3 Floyd's brews.

36. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (395) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

I came into the thread thinking SA Whitewater IPA, but figured I'd go see what some of my biggest +rDevs were. Sure enough, SA Whitewater is number one.

37. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Advocate (600) Wisconsin Aug 3, 2010 Verified

I wish they'd release it in Spring/Fall rather than Winter. I feel it's very suited to outdoor drinking when it isn't swelteringly hot
    Both are great. It's weird because a lot of people on this site complain that FFF hops up their beers too much or does this or that to them to make them unique, but in these two beers where they play it relatively safe and keep them pretty true to style, people complain that they're too plain and that FFF didn't do anything to make them stand out.

BeerLover99 likes this.
  38. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (205) New York Dec 25, 2008

Saranac Pomegranate Wheat hits the spot on a warm day. 78 rating.

39. manutdfan

manutdfan Initiate (0) Florida May 25, 2012

DFH black and blue gets hated on a lot, in my all time top ten beers, so damn good!

Lantern and jlenik like this.
  40. I'm drinking one right this moment. Like you said, it's incredibly drinkable. When I can't make up my mind what I want, I'll usually grab a Fuller's. It never disappoints.

inchrisin likes this.