1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Beers you like, but everyone else doesn't like

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by keithmurray, Apr 2, 2013.

1. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

2. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

Steel Reserve
    Old English
    King Cobra
    PBR
    Rolling Rock
    Innis and Gunn

3. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (605) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

New belgium peach porch lounger, I seem to be the only one who likes it. Same with somersault, but after looking it up it seems the bros feel the same as I do.

4. Ska ESB
    Anderson Valley Summer Solstice
    Elysian Avatar Jasmine

5. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

#1 by far is Newcastle Brown Ale. Completely crapped on as BMC quality, but one of the first beers that got me into craft, and I still love it.

#2 is Bell's Oberon. Had my first one of the season tonight and it just tastes like summer

#3 is Leine's Big Eddy IIPA - panned as a BMC product (which it is), but I think it is really good.

sacrelicio and hardy008 like this.
  6. SFACRKnight

Ska ESB is tastiness in a can. I love their summer mixed 12.

7. I liked Lounger too. So much that I bought a second bottle to cellar for awhile.

8. SFACRKnight

I cracked one about a month ago and it is drying out and has a mineral flavor that I don't remember it having fresh. Beware. :(

9. Hamm's Premium

10. 57md

57md Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Aug 22, 2011

SA Chocolate Bock and Chocolate-Cherry Bock. I think that both are great treats.

Also, I liked Roy Pitz Daddy Fat Sacks IPA for more that just the name.

11. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

If you go purely by the ratings on this site: most Texas beers. IE: the majority of the beer I drink.

12. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

It's been over 10 years since I touched a drop of the soft stuff...

However, there was a time in my life where I wanted to drink beer at dinner but needed to go back to work afterwards to conduct controlled explosions in a lab or write vibrant scientific journal articles. I ran the risk of losing an eye or putting people to sleep, so I needed a clear head. I developed a taste for Sharps, Kaliber, Clausthaler, Buckler, and O'Douls.

Average BA rating for these beers is 2.30. I've only bothered to review O'Douls - it's my review with the highest rDev at +69%, and O'Douls was my least favorite of these beers. It looks like the market has expanded since those good old days. The BA list for NA beers has hundreds of NA beers now, tantalizing, tempting me to return to a life of sobriety.

13. nineball

nineball Aficionado (130) New York Mar 19, 2013

sam adams summer
    southern tier jahva

14. anyother

anyother Aficionado (110) Ohio Oct 20, 2011

BELGO ANISE STOUT. I loved that beer.

15. Wild Blue

Might be because I absolutely love blueberries, but I always liked this....Been a while since I've had it though, and I've had quite a bit more beers since I've last had it, so my palate may have changed, and I never really feel like picking it up over anything else I can get.

16. kguard

kguard Savant (345) Iowa Feb 19, 2013

John Henry 3 lick Spiker Ale.
    Most knock it for being too thin or light. A lot of people want it be a stout, and aren't familiar with black ales.

Amazing, amazing beer. It should get more love.

hardy008 and LambicPentameter like this.
  17. videofrog

videofrog Savant (490) Texas Nov 13, 2010

New Belgium Super Cru - I gave it a 4.5, BA gave it a 3.42. I really enjoyed it, but I guess most just think it average.

Rogue Voodoo Maple Bacon Doughnut Ale - A very divisive beer here, but I didn't love it or hate it. I gave it a 3.75, which I guess translates to above average. BA gives it a 2.96. Loved the aroma, thought the taste was pretty good. The aftertaste is what I didn't like, though. Ruined my palate for the evening.

Edit: I need to go back and revisit many of the beers I gave a 5 as a noob. Palate has definitely been re-calibrated since then.

18. I want to try HB Maibock again either on draft or from a botttle not exposed to light. I bought a single of it before and it was severely skunked.

19. I just got back from Austin and my absolute favorite beer was (512) Pecan Porter. F**king delicious...

20. BigBarley

BigBarley Savant (330) Texas Aug 5, 2011

It's strange that you say that (and I've read a couple other reviews saying the same thing) because the bottle I had recently was not nearly as thin as a lot of the reviews stated. I won't say it was as thick as most RIS, but the one I had was sufficiently creamy.
    I mighta gotten lucky. I hope it wasn't just a fluke, cause flavorwise it was great.

21. Luckily I haven't had that happen to me yet, but you bring up a very good point - why oh why does anyone still sell beer in green or (even worse) clear bottles?o_O

22. According to my reviews, mine would be
    Bud light Lime
    Red Hook ESB
    Wells Banana Bread

23. Any of the Innis and Gunn beers. So underrated IMO

Givemebeer and WilliamLee like this.
  24. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

I actually prefer to think of the more broadly reviewed beers to reflect a better overall judgement of the beer. It seems like they will hit a broader range of palates that way rather than just those seeking out a particular style. Kind of gobbledy-gook, but oh well. o_O

25. TheBigEast

TheBigEast Savant (270) New York Oct 21, 2004

Lindeman's Framboise. Lambic snobs (the worst form of beer snobs IMHO) hate it because it isn't authentic. I love authetic lambics as well but really enjoy the taste of this beer. And I can't tell you how many people I've turned onto good beer after introducing this beer to them. A great gateway beer.

26. I agree that why I said to take only Hefewiezens with over 100 reviews

djsmith1174 likes this.
  27. State Pen Porter.
    Probably one of my favorite beers ever.
    It's finally rising to an 86.
    Used to be high 70's.

28. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

DFH 120
    Founders Devil Dancer

29. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (655) Florida Jul 15, 2011

It doesn't even taste like blueberries. It tastes like someone poured IHOP blueberry syrup into Olde English. :eek:
    To each their own though. That is the point of this thread.

My pick for this would be Festina Peche. Such a refreshingly tart, fruity beer. One of the only berliner weisses I can find easily too. Only an 82 on BA. Not a bad rating, but I think it is much better than that.

30. Fruity and spiced beers get a lot of flack, but I think it is just because it isn't cool anymore and nobody wants to be that person that says he/she likes them. I'll stand up for those still in the "flavored beer closet."

Shipyard - Pumpkinhead. At the first sign of fall in New England, nothing hits the spot better.
    Magic Hat - #9. May not be as mind-blowing as you thought it was when you were 16, you know it can be delicious when the time is right.
    Peak Organic - Pomegranate Wheat. So juicy!
    and
    Budweiser - Regular. In bottles in the summer on a roof. C'mon!
    and
    New Belgium - Fat Tire. Just because it is so popular doesn't mean it isn't good.

31. Brown ales. I must be the only BA that likes them :D

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  32. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

, nope, you're not alone.

33. Left Hand Milk Stout.

34. The amount of *love* they get here, we are definitely in the minority!

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  35. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

oh well, more for us!

36. Beerista

Beerista Zealot (95) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2012

Saranac Black & Tan

37. Ha! Like I said it has been a long time since I've had it. My mind could very well be changed at this point, I'd like to find out, but I never feel like picking it up when there's so much else to try!

38. Dundee Original Honey Brown

39. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Never understood the hate for this. I only have had a sample or two but I thought it was decent.