1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers you should have shared

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by WestCoastBrew2, Feb 19, 2013.

1. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (470) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

Good, but espresso is gonna be gone

2. On my bday last year I had a bottle of FW Double DBA by myself and passed out. My body thanked me next morning with a throbbing headache. Can't drink as much I did 5 years ago.

3. Shared one with my roommate. Wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be. First beer I had with bacon in it, which are my favorite two things to ingest.

4. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

I assume the OP poses the question based on a beer that you just don't need/want a full bottle of. But I have a different take on the subject:

There have been a few bottles here and there that I've felt a bit guilty about not sharing due to how freakin good they've been (& knowing a friend might have appreciated the brewing artistry) but unless the beer sucks (yes YOU Voodoo!) I have zero problem physically finishing a bomber/750. Even the thick/sweet/high gravities like Creme Brulee, Hunahpu, FW16, etc- that's fine. I can easily drink two glasses and call it an evening. I truly enjoy drinking a big complex stout over an hour or more to see how it opens up as it warms.

I keep taking big bottles to "the dome" because no one else that I drink with is willing to really be patient and spend time enjoying the beer. I admit that it bothers me a little when I'm halfway through a glass, savoring every sip and the guys I'm with start razing me to hurry up so we can move on to (AKA chug, seemingly) the next beer. So despite the "guilt" of not sharing the occasional whale, I do it every once in a while so I can savor the experience in my own good time. Advocacy? Perhaps not but I'll be damned if I'm gonna slam a fantastic beer that I spent (too much) money buying/trading for just to appease someone else that wants to beer race without letting it warm up and breath to get the most out of it.

Sorry about the soap box. This is something I think about fairly often and figured it might fit in this thread.

5. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (550) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Boris the Crusher for me for sure...that was a big, thick, boozy sipper that would have been great w/a friend