1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers you want to see in 24 oz cans?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MightySteede, May 22, 2013.

1. Since everyone seems to be canning these days it makes sense that 24 oz cans are just around the corner. A quick google search shows Kona will be releasing a Longboard Island Lager in the large format. What beers do you want to see adopt this format?

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Ten Fidy.

3. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Great idea, an 800 calorie beer. Cuz us beer drinkers don't have a hard enough time as it is staying trim

dar482, beertunes and DmouthCaliBrewz like this.
  4. Hanzo

You've never drank 2 12oz cans of Ten Fidy before?

fernz18, gtermi, jRocco2021 and 8 others like this.
  5. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (620) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

6. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Nope. Never in my life have I desired more than one RIS in a session.

7. I'd rather see more things in a 12oz format rather than paying more for a novelty.

Handle, hardy008, beertunes and 5 others like this.
  8. Hanzo

I'm obviously a weirdo then. At any rate I'd rather have a RIS in a large format can then a beer that I actually care about getting warm over time, unless you are slamming it or something.

I mean for instance Sucks is going to come in a 32oz bottle, while that sounds cool I just don't know how practical it is, unless you just pour some and then go put it back in the fridge. But with something like Ten Fidy you can just pour as you go while it warms over time.

9. LMT

LMT Savant (340) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

Prima Pils...

Because I never have just one and having them in 24oz cans saves me the trouble of going the the fridge again.

BigBarley, Streaky, wspscott and 2 others like this.
  10. Pliny
    Sculpin
    Zombie Dust
    Head hunter
    Dregnaught
    Blind pig
    Alesmith IPA
    Hopslam
    Nugget Nectar
    ...pretty much all the hop bombs, maybe the can will help perserve hop character just a little longer

GetMeAnIPA and Bizoneill like this.
  11. skinsfan

skinsfan Advocate (600) Maryland May 24, 2005

None for me

beertunes likes this.
  12. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Schlenkerla Helles Lager
    Two Hearted

and if I can really dream...Cantillon Gueuze.

CurtFromHershey likes this.
  13. Nothing...even if I am drinking 2 or 4 or even 6 of something, I would still only want it 12oz at a time. Just something about popping open that next/new/fresh beer!

hardy008, beertunes, rjniles and 3 others like this.
  14. Wow. Not to add to this subject but I'm amazed you drank two cans of that. I love Ten Fidy for what it is but after a whole can I'm either ready for a different style, a different stout, or sleep.

15. I wouldn't mind seeing Nugget Nectar in a huge can, just cause I love IPAs out of the can and I wouldn't mind knocking down 24oz. of it at once.

Streaky and Bizoneill like this.
  16. Hanzo

I must be a mutant or something, but I have been known to sit and sip a bomber/750 of 10%+ beers over an evening with no problem. That can't be that rare...

17. It's not; I often start with a bomber followed by a 12 oz when I drink my stouts. For me it's always time for a good stout, or three.

RStang13, Psykhe, BMitch and 3 others like this.
  18. None, I'd much prefer to have two 12 oz. cans than one 24 oz. can, unless the 24 oz. can is a significantly better value.

beertunes likes this.
  19. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (595) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Yes...but it does cut into the exercise program...have to do a couple extra 24 oz. curls to compensate...

Following along with Hanzo's thoughts - I've gotten to where I can sip my way through a 22 oz. or a 750 ml over the course of an evening, so what's another couple ounces? Some styles I prefer cold, and my ounces/minute rate doesn't work so well with a bigger container staying cooled. I can see this getting to the same argument that rages about bombers - the value proposition and cost per ounce. It's essentially an aluminum bomber, so I'd bet we see the same issues with pricing.

20. I'm with you Hanzo, I have no problem doing that either.

Hanzo likes this.
  21. Bizoneill

Bizoneill Savant (290) Connecticut Apr 19, 2012

I had 3 KBS on tap a week or so ago took me 3 hours to drink them but damn was that a delicious 3 hrs.... No Regrets!

Cvescalante and Hanzo like this.
  22. shawnohall

shawnohall Savant (330) Texas Nov 8, 2009

All of the beers I love...and if a price break is part of this format, even better.

23. ChanceK

ChanceK Initiate (0) Texas Feb 13, 2012

Rochefort 10!!!!!!! It would be the end of me, and I'd be ok with that!

24. Bizoneill

Bizoneill Savant (290) Connecticut Apr 19, 2012

By the way this would be epic....

Hanzo likes this.
  25. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

So 22oz Bombers = BAD!!!

24oz Cans = Good?

Handle, MattyG85, CMUbrew and 3 others like this.
  26. shawnohall

I would imagine pacing yourself is the key; and if you're in your own crib, get wobbly...who cares.

27. shawnohall

Now that Founders is in Texas, I'll have to find out what all this KBS hubbub is all about. And from what I'm hearing, that may entail engaging in fisticuffs in the parking lot to get my hands on some. :)

28. Over the course of an evening, that's different. I just mean that it normally doesn't take me more than 30 minutes to drink two beers, and in that span of time I wouldn't want to drink two cans of Ten Fidy. Everyone is different, no biggy.

29. BMitch

BMitch Aficionado (235) Virginia Jul 10, 2012

You're good, there's just a lot of lightweights on this forum apparently.

MattyG85, LMT and Tacoboomerang like this.
  30. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar. I can drink those all day. I love the 6-packs, but some tallboys when camping would be great, too.

31. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Really? You want them to start canning gueuze now?

32. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

While I may say I actually DON't think I've drank two ten fidys in a row, I sure as hell wouldn't mind. And I've drank big boy bombers to the dome before, so I see where you're coming from.

Plus I like you address the case that other styles will get warm and you don't want that. Very very true. I'm going to be making trips to the fridge when the Sucks quarts come out

33. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Why not?

LambicPentameter likes this.
  34. Left Hand Milk Stout all day long. That's some good sipping there. Any good stout will do cuz temp really isn't an issue and carbonation isn't either. Unless your pounding down that brew the last 1/3 tends to be the dregs in the can if you are taking your time drinking.

35. Does anyone know if Oskar Blues will put Ten Fidy in the new 19.2 stovepipe cans?

Bizoneill likes this.
  36. Bud Lite Limearita

37. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

I'm with others who say that they want none to be in that format. I've seen those big ass Dale's Pale Ale cans and they're hilarious, but I only wanna buy one as a novelty. Pint cans are perfect in my opinion. Many companies are already getting it right in my eyes. I'll be glad to continue buying 12 and 16oz cans.

beertunes likes this.
  38. A 24 oz. can of FBS would be dope as fuck, all season.

39. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

Carbonation

40. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (270) California Aug 2, 2012

Heady, duh!

MightySteede likes this.