1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers you will never drink again

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by keithmurray, Oct 14, 2012.

1. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (625) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

Mad Elf is boozy cherry cough syrup.

I keep accidentally grabbing Barleywines as single samplers. All of them I can't stand so far. I've tried 4-5 and all are just too heavy and boozy to enjoy.
  2. I love Bell's but their Oarsman was absolutely terrible! Like drinking sour thick lemon water
  3. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

what ever that fruit flavored Mich Ultra was called, drain poured the rest the 6/pk
  4. Miller Lite doesn't have enough taste to be "nasty" or "disgusting".
    cruzmissile72 likes this.
  5. What's the story here? I've been to Victory many times...I've never heard these kinds of complaints.
  6. You're crazy. I mean, I love you, man, but you're crazy.
    chanokokoro likes this.
  7. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

That's your opinion. I disagree.
  8. Trader Joe's Boatswain Double IPA - pretty sure this beer is a practical joke by the brewers. At least it was only $3. Drain poured after 2 sips, which was one sip too many.

My BIL said the same thing. My reply, I wouldn't drink it if naked supermodels fed it to me straight from their mouth.
    That is one crappy beer. There is also something else, like ass kicker ale, or jackass ale. Also horrible.
  9. seplo

seplo Savant (445) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

fishermans pumpkin stout, absolutly horrible
    smutty33 likes this.
  10. kbutler1

kbutler1 Advocate (500) Minnesota Aug 20, 2008

Probably on thin ice with mine: Wrath of Pecant

But also Yazo Fortuitous...yuck!
  11. CSQ1111

CSQ1111 Savant (310) Kentucky Jan 10, 2010

New Holland Hopivore --- A Fresh Hop Pale Ale that was a malty mess.
  12. Budweiser!
    buddha5050 and Eastside151 like this.
  13. As many have already stated Voodoo and Creme Brulee from Southern Tier. Both I finished but it was a labor to get those beers down.
  14. Eastside151

Eastside151 Savant (450) Ohio Jun 29, 2012

Freaktoberfest
    Sierra Nevada Barleywine
    Tampa Bay Brewing Old Elephant Foot IPA
  15. Anything by Brewdog
  16. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

I hate to break it to you, but there's four fruit flavored Michelob Ultras.
  17. Voodoo Donut & Pumking, both GROSS!!!!!!
  18. Absolute worst has to be Bell's Oarsman Ale. What swill. Guiness Stout is ultra bitter. Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin and Saranac Pumpkin are the worst pumpkins. In fact most Saranac beers are pretty awful.
  19. Agree totally. ST beers are some of the best beers out there. Over the top on flavor.
    Hotmetal1 likes this.
  20. Anything I've drained poured and given a 2.0 and under:
    Wells Banana Bread Beer
    Pumpking
    Trafalgar Maple Bock
    Slavutych Pivo
    Bud Light
    Samuel Smith Organic Raspberry Fruit Beer
    Rosée D'hibiscus
    New Grist Sorghum Beer
    Hitachino Nest Real Ginger Brew
    Cannery Brewing Blackberry Porter

Some are just bad beers overall while others just weren't my taste. I find I've very picky with fruit/spice beers. I either love it or hate it.
  21. LOL, super premium...
    I've seen this one in the dépanneurs, maybe some day I'll get around to trying it... maybe...
  22. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Missouri Jan 27, 2012

WWS and 120. Both taste like leftovers from a meth lab.
    ChanChan likes this.
  23. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (530) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

Going to have to echo the sentiment of a few others on here, Pumpking from ST was just horrid. Too bad as well since I was really looking forward to this one. More for the people who enjoy it I suppose.
  24. MicheleALE

MicheleALE Aspirant (40) Oct 27, 2012

pabst blue ribbon
    we went to a nice restaurant and they kept pushing it at us, ugh!
    i also don't like them when there too fruity...
  25. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (460) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

26. This one:
    [​IMG]

Love ST and this is in fact the ONLY one I've tried that I don't like . . . but I hate it!!!! NEVER. NEVER, NEVER AGAIN!!!
    RDMII and TomTwanks like this.
  27. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

Several beers on my list are beers other people love but I hate them.

Troegs Mad Elf - it basically tasted like band-aids and pennies.

Youngs Double Chocolate Stout - just has this artificial chemical kind of taste to it.

JW Lees - tried several vintages and barrels and it always has an underlying potato taste to me.
  28. kpacedo

kpacedo Aficionado (210) California Nov 24, 2009

any pumpkin beer, beginning with southern tier. i just cant...
  29. I too had a bad experience with Mad Elf last year. But... while it was very off putting, I think I'll try a bottle again this year. I'm just glad I didn't spring for that huge bottle of the stuff after I finally got a taste of it.
  30. Shipyards smashed pumpkin, I just didn't enjoy it at all. I recently had a beer from Saint Somewhere called Pays Du Soliel that wasn't for me either, but it might have been a bit flat or something
  31. rodlavers

rodlavers Savant (410) Pennsylvania Jun 20, 2012

Three Philosophers
    Last Chance IPA
    Hop Ottin' IPA
  32. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (385) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

I've only scratched the surface of craft, probably about 50 beers on my tick list, but the only one I had trouble finishing was Brooklyn Brown Ale. Sipped about a third then chugged the rest just to get it over with.

In it's defense, the bottle shop had a lot of old beers on the shelf, so I'm not sure how old it was. They had about a case worth of Nugget Nectar on the shelf in October.
  33. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

Climax IPA. managed to bull through the whole sixer but was the least satisfying IPA I have ever had. Not one of Jersey's better brews.
  34. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

Really haven't had anything from White Birch I find worth buying again- just nothing that blew me away, and I'm all good with anything with the words "Shipyard" and "Pumpkin-anything" in it.
    Fluke828 likes this.
  35. "I concur"
  36. fitrock2112

fitrock2112 Aficionado (220) Ohio Aug 28, 2012

I'm done with North Coast, the Old Stock Ale and Old Rasputin Barrel Aged are complete messes. Done !
  37. mactrail

mactrail Champion (765) Washington Mar 24, 2009

I still miss Ballantines IPA-- I wonder what that spicy hop was? Ahead of it's time, or 50 years behind.
  38. Dead Frog Choc. Mint Brown Ale
    Alameda American Rye
    Any rauchbiers
    Anything from Skinners (UK)
  39. Try NG Enigma, you might be pleasantly surprised. For a sour it's really good. Hope your DDay was a blast...
  40. Totally agree with this, Enigma is a gem. Funny too, cuz I was just going to come in here and post Oude Tart by The Bruery... sours are not my thing I guess, thought it tasted like sour shoe leather.