1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers you will never drink again

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by keithmurray, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Secondary sources have the Newark BIPA being brewed with bullion hops, dry-hopped and using brewery-distilled hop oils. Once Falstaff moved it to RI to their Narragansett brewery, the hops were eventually changed to a blend of Brewer's Gold (the longtime primary hop for it's sister brew, XXX Ale) and Yakimas, and the use of hop oil dropped, instead milling the hops for dry-hopping. Probable that the hops changed again in the move to, first, Ft. Wayne and then Pabst Milwaukee.
  2. Totally agree with many of these, especially the Voodoo Douhgnut, Breckenridge Vanilla Porter, Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale, but Sam Adam's Griffin's Bow and Starr Hill's Lucy are worth mentioning.
  3. RandomCoolzip

RandomCoolzip Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 20, 2012

I had a Samichlaus Beer about 20 years ago. I had to chase it with another beer to get the taste out of my mouth. Still remember it to this day.
  4. tmm313

tmm313 Savant (395) Georgia Nov 6, 2011

Old Stock Ale and Wild Blue. Never. Ever. Again.
  5. BillieWest

BillieWest Aficionado (165) Oct 13, 2012

Blue Moon Spiced Amber Ale. Le vom.
  6. trixdout

trixdout Savant (255) New Jersey Aug 12, 2011

Lol first comment in the thread. Sadly I agree. It's worse than a slim jim in a liquid.
  7. Durb777

Durb777 Savant (405) Illinois Nov 30, 2011

I honestly feel that Rouge would have had better luck making a Slim Jim flavored beer.
    trixdout likes this.
  8. Brewsed

Brewsed Savant (280) North Carolina Oct 29, 2010

Jolly pumpkin. I want to like them. Nothing but respect for Ron Jeffries. I've tried 3 beers from them and all 3 bottles went down the sink.
  9. What the hell, that's good beer. You're broken.
  10. Moylands Hopsickle, for whatever reason by the time it hits the shelves (most often warm) in Denver it is wrecked.
  11. MeowTom

MeowTom Aficionado (130) Washington Mar 16, 2012

Southern Tier Pumking
  12. I'm usually baffled by the love for ST on this site. I haven't had a single ST that I've liked and found a few truly awful. Good thing, though, that we all have different tastes. Cheers.
    MeowTom likes this.
  13. MeowTom

MeowTom Aficionado (130) Washington Mar 16, 2012

They are either a hit or a complete miss with me, but I have to totally agree about being shocked with much love they receive.
  14. Have to agree... love Southern Tier for the most part, but this is just unbearable.
  15. Bell's Hopslam (I just don't like it).
  16. csiewert

csiewert Savant (310) Oregon Apr 10, 2009

My homebrew :(
    BillieWest and mzeld like this.
  17. Penn Pilsner because it is not a Vienna-lager or pilsner.
  18. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (650) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

I think there is a lot of variation as there are numerous reviews below 2.0. I wish I got a good one.
    YumYumGumGum likes this.
  19. Mark

Mark Advocate (585) California Jun 18, 2001

Anything Belgian, I just don't get it. Bear Republic bottled beers and of course all macro.
  20. Amen, i had a hard time drinking Pumking
  21. wrycon

wrycon Savant (270) Minnesota Apr 22, 2009

I'm sure it's already been mentioned somewhere in these 16 pages, but Stone Belgo Anise.

Jag beer.

*shudder*
    RobertColianni likes this.
  22. Hello. For me, unfortunately, it's Bell's Batch 9,000. Unfortunately because I have about 3 cases of the stuff, and I'm trying to do everything with it BUT drink it! It make a great addition for killer stews, pot roasts, and chili! A great but expensice addition. I'll carry on. Thanks.
  23. Route Des Épices

no.no.no
  24. Most hops substitution tables have Bullion and Brewers Gold to be substitutes for one another.

I did do my Ballantine IPA homebrew. It used Cluster, Bullion, and EKG. Might split the dry hops with Bullion and Brewers Gold as I have enough of each.

There are 2 recipes for Ballantine IPA in Mitch Steele's book IPA. The first is closer to what I brewed, the second came from Fred Scheer (a well known brewer) who claimed there were actually about 100 recipes for Ballantines IPA. The second had lower gravity and bitterness, and used Styrian Golding hops.
  25. Some guy brought a growler into the store I work at and told us we could drink the beer (he didn't like it) and he'd come back in a few days for the growler. It was a sour pumpkin porter from some small brewpub. It was atrocious. It tasted like dirt.
    RobertColianni likes this.
  26. I rated it a 2.00 when I had it. My best friend likes stouts and SAMBVCA and wouldn't finish his share of the bottle. It was gross before gross was gross, and I love anything with anise seeds. The first page of reviews is pretty hysterical, too.
  27. After two sips, I drainpoured a bomber of Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale. I had high hopes, but when I now read the name, I realize it tasted exactly as bad as it sounds.
  28. SourinQns

SourinQns Aficionado (200) New York Sep 23, 2012

Three Floyds Bully Guppy
    Alexander Keith's IPA - IPA's are supposed to have hops in them, not taste like Coors Light
  29. mactrail

mactrail Advocate (730) Washington Mar 24, 2009

Thanks so much for the history lesson-- and very interesting since Bullion was my favorite home brewing hop in the 70s for a dark extract brew. But before the craft brew revolution, Ballantines IPA was a remarkable beer.
  30. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

My buddy's home brew....armhair quarterblack
  31. Stunmai

Stunmai Aficionado (135) New York Nov 10, 2011

Anything from Buffalo Bill's brewery. Just terrible.
  32. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

Before-After. I like cheap, strong-quick drunk beers but the flatness of that was just too off-putting.
  33. cwreay90

cwreay90 Savant (350) Texas Nov 19, 2012

Belhaven Wee Heavy. It's just god awful since they started using clear bottles....
  34. Indian Wells' Whiskey Barrel Amber - unbalanced, overly sweet and generally gross. This was my first drainpour and it occurred tonight.

Thank god I have this SN Celebration to wash that taste out of my mouth...
  35. mzeld

mzeld Savant (260) Michigan Mar 5, 2012

Shorts Spruce Pilsner...but I would never say never.
    Steel Reserve.

Beer is beer. I'd drink it if it was given to me.
    mateuszekxxpl likes this.
  36. mzeld

Whoa whoa whoa. Why no love for Robert Johnsons Hellhound? I enjoyed that very much!
  37. mzeld

This is a joke, right?
    Bitter_Echo likes this.
  38. Noelito76

Noelito76 Advocate (525) New York Oct 30, 2004

St. Ides Malt Liquor.

I had to contribute to this thread sometime right?

Okay seriously, for me it's SA Cherry Wheat. Can't stand it.
    cwreay90 likes this.
  39. xanok

xanok Savant (395) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

Kona Wailua Wheat Ale
    Widmer Brothers Lemongrass Wheat

The both of them...just...agh!
  40. sponas

sponas Zealot (75) Arizona Jul 27, 2009

Stone Imperial Russian Stout and DFH Punkin Ale