1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Beers you will never drink again

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by keithmurray, Oct 14, 2012.

1. atone315

atone315 Member

Anything from Abita...I get a metallic taste from on their brews, it always tastes like I have a cut in my mouth. Or worse.....
    mountsnow1010 and JuicesFlowing like this.
  2. A1sWorld

A1sWorld Guest

I purchased a port republic light beer 24 oz can & poured it into a bottle that measures OZs. It turns out their was only 20 oz of fluid in the can. Not far from 24 oz witch it reads but still false advertising
  3. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Member

Not sure if serious.
    luwak likes this.
  4. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Member

Booze bomb aisle 10. It's hard for me to call any beer boozy; I drink Black Tuesday out of a schooner, but this was something different. Do not want.
    yamar68 likes this.
  5. evilc

evilc Member

Dragons Milk was delicious,.
  6. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Member

Not too long ago I had a mint porter and I had to pour it down the drain. It was like drinking a beer right after brushing your teeth.
  7. cwreay90

cwreay90 Member

wh-what?!?! O___O

I mean... each to their own, but wow... This is one of the first beers I had that turned me on to craft beer back in the day. It made me realise what a perfect example of what "good" beer is capable of. I guess you could say it has a little nostalgic value to me. But even so, I believe it's an amazing beer all around lol

But that's what an opinion is I suppose.
  8. godlessape

godlessape Member

Iron City Brew and any light beer on the market.
  9. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Member

I haven't had a good beer from them yet, so I agree. I was extremely disappointed in their vanilla doubledog, or whatever it's called. Oh well.
  10. Labeorphile

Labeorphile Member

I love Arrogant Bastard. A great mix of malt and hops I hadn't experienced before.
    cwreay90 likes this.
  11. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

Yeah, I remember that from my homebrewing days (1976-early 1980's);) guess I'm still influenced by P. Ballantine's advertising.

[​IMG]

I noted them separately based on what the brewer at Narragansett in the 70's (blanking on his name) said in an interview IIRC. Will have to double-check my notes. Falstaff even marketed a short-lived Ballantine Brewers Gold Premium Ale briefly in the late '70's>early '80's.

[​IMG]

"100"? I take it that figure includes homebrew/clone "guesstimate" recipes? I wonder if there were than many batches of the original Ballantine India Pale Ale out of Newark :D . Well, post-Repeal batches, anyway - since the brewery ownership changed in '33 and they hired a Burton-trained brewer who I assume created the IPA recipe just as he did for Ballantine XXX Ale.

So, that BIPA was brewed for less than 40 years, from 1933 to 1971 or so (brewery being shuttered in early '72) and being aged "in the wood" for 1 year, I'd guess they didn't have the wooden tank capacity for a lot of batches per year. I've never come across any mention of actual barrelage for what eventually was a minor brand of Ballantine's. They dropped the draught version in the '50's, doing very little promotion of it after the 1940's.

After Falstaff bought the brand and then S&P started moving production around for the next two decades (Cranston > Ft. Wayne > Milwaukee) it seemed to me that it wasn't brewed too often. Though the beer is still often discussed today, when it was available it used to sit on the dusty bottom shelves ignored at most retailers IIRC. I still remember a few cases sitting for months on the "warm" floor of what was my local beer store in the mid-90's. When I go back there occasionally, I still walk by that section of the store, look at the stacks of Corona, Mike's Hard Lemonade and Bud Light and think, "That's where I picked up my last case of Ballantine India Pale Ale..."
  12. Hotmetal1

Hotmetal1 Member

I shared a bottle of Crème Brûlée and really enjoied it, as a matter of fact I could have drank the whole bottle. I understand everyone has different taste for different things, but their's a lot of beers people are posting here that I like.
  13. Hotmetal1

Hotmetal1 Member

Do you mean Abita's Pecan Haevest or Lazy Magnolia's Southern Pecan.
  14. RunningIPA

RunningIPA Member

DFH Indian Brown Ale. I generally like their beers, but for whatever reason, I can barely get down more than a couple of sips of this one.
  15. ejimhof

ejimhof Member

Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown
    Voodoo Donut
    Laughing Dog CSB
  16. RDMII

RDMII Member

Sorry, Pecan Harvest. Got the two crossed up.
  17. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Member

18. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Member

Ironically, speaking of tasting things differently I really enjoyed Cabin Fever Brown Ale, quite a bit actually. Though to your point when I mixed this in w/a brown ale tasting session it definitely stuck out a bit taste wise, I get that old tobacco vibe as well. I think freshness for this one maybe key as the taste isn't always there,
  19. Beertsipper

Beertsipper Member

My sentiments exactly with the Palo Santo Moran. I can drink the Indian Brown, but it's higher gravity counterpart is the vilest existence known to man. However, I am going to give it another shot, just to be fair.
  20. fauxpunker

fauxpunker Member

OFallon Hemp Hop Rye

Southern Tier Oak Aged Unearthly IPA

Horny Goat Hopped up an' Horny
  21. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

Is it really that bad?
  22. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Member

I'm kind of the opposite. While I don't dislike Indian Brown, Palo Santo blows it out of the water. I love those wood notes mixed with the burn of alcohol and the delicious, thick, syrupy quality it has going for it.
  23. WassailWilly

WassailWilly Member

24. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Member

to each his own in this thread, but yes, it's that bad -
  25. BREWSnTATTOOS

BREWSnTATTOOS Member

Thumb print Cherry Stout. YUCK!!!!! Never again. I received this gem as a extra and I was very thankful. Well until I opened it. Some one made a mistake and put Cherry cough medicine in this bottle instead of beer. I mean this straight up was one of the worst beers, Drinks I have ever had. Drain poured about 9 of the 12 ozs it was so bad. Well getting extras from traders is great and I share the love but Ill never drink this beer( cough medicine) again.

Enjoy your Holidays people:D
    Kyle.
  26. Sludgeman

Sludgeman Member

Sixpoint - Resin
    Way over the top with hops, killed my tastebuds, not drinkable.
  27. Daemose

Daemose Member

The Bruery - 5 Golden Rings. Booze/alcohol, yeast, sugar. More booze/alcohol.

Had 1/4 of the bomber and it took me forever to finish it.
  28. Beertsipper

Beertsipper Member

Love Resin. Fantastic beer...

Have you tried Ruination?
  29. Chunksofgunks

Chunksofgunks Member

Newburgh Brewing Peat Smoked Stout.
  30. PABSTMASTER

PABSTMASTER Member

The pizza beer family. Novelty....and that's all.
  31. TheBeerologist

TheBeerologist Member

Avery - The Beast

Had a bottle from 2007 two nights ago (yes, properly cellared) and it was just foul - no balance, boozy, mediciney and all around yuk. Certainly didn't age well and I have a hard time seeing myself enjoying it fresh.

...and Ghost Scorpion - a terribly foul novelty that I was happy to try but never want to see again
  32. darky

darky Member

anything from Empyrean and Lakefront
  33. GRG1313

GRG1313 Member

Anything from Rogue. I'll not even try it any further. I realize that it has its followers and some people like it. Just not my taste. I've never had a beer from Rogue that had any body or mouthfeel.
    RenoZymurgist likes this.
  34. Samjuan12

Samjuan12 Member

Hoppin Frog Sweet Evil..... I do not drain pour anything... (even voodoo doughnut) but I took two sips and it got tossed down the drain....
  35. celtic33

celtic33 Member

Didn't care much for the Widmer Gose I had last night. Too salty tasting for me.
  36. Phacoman

Phacoman Member

Dfh ta henket...totally undrinkable
  37. JimKal

JimKal Member

Porkslap Pale Ale from Butternuts. This just didn't work for me. Of course there are those who liked it. I tried it after trying their IPA which I liked quite a bit.
  38. Dcor

Dcor Member

Any of the shitty fruit beers that show up here in Florida 9 mos of the year...
  39. Beefytits4

Beefytits4 Member

40. Jae9979

Jae9979 Member

Southern tier Pumking.. Tasted like a cheap pumpkin candle.
    oldp0rt likes this.