1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers you will never drink again

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by keithmurray, Oct 14, 2012.

1. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

Ha ha, figured this would show up. HATED it when I had it on draft the first time. Then I saw the episode of Brewmasters where Sam goes to Egypt and collects the yeast, chooses the fruit in the market, and tries it for the first time not knowing what to expect.

After that I opened a bottle, and actually appreciated it. It still tasted weird, but it was a good weird. Maybe it was the first craft beer/TV show tie-in, and I bought it.

robinsmv likes this.
  2. darknova306

darknova306 Initiate (0) New York Jan 13, 2005

Infinium. One of the worst drinking experiences I've ever had. I could barely choke down the small glass of it on NYE. Just pure awful.

JulianB and CasanovaCummins like this.
  3. On a similar note it seems that mixing Honey Weiss and Berry Weiss yields a monstrosity known as the Honey Bear. I have never had it, but friends that are Leinies fans swear by it. I guess in order to make Leinies taste good you need to mix two of their mediocre beers together.

CanConPhilly likes this.
  4. SrMonkey

SrMonkey Savant (265) Wisconsin Mar 19, 2008

Left hand wake up dead - mmm, burnt plastic
    GI 312 - for some reason I find it gag worthy
    Busch or rolling rock. There's a time and purpose for cheap beer, that's what keystone and high life light are for
    NG twomen and totally naked. Not worth it even when on special

5. I have heard nothing but negativity regarding anything BrewDog has done.

6. I honestly refuse to buy Rogue based on principle. Everything I've heard about the people that own/run the brewery and the way they treat their customers has been awful. I've never had a single sip of any of their beers, and I hope not to. I don't care if I'm missing out on anything. Bad business ethics doesn't deserve patronage, which is why I'll never buy another Apple product either.

arniepnminne likes this.
  7. drevim

drevim Aficionado (180) Indiana Oct 12, 2012

Great Lakes Nosferatu has been the only one in my limited experience that I am done with. Tasted like straight grapefruit juice, and I'm not a fan of grapefruit juice. Want to attribute it to the batch, but I've noticed others reviews that mention the grapefruit.

8. JohnFatAss

JohnFatAss Savant (385) New Jersey Jan 22, 2011

Never say Never, but I would never drink Southern Tier Pumking again.

SWChi likes this.
  9. Why is there all this hate on Pumking (and ST in general)?

10. rmcnealy

rmcnealy Savant (330) Illinois Jan 13, 2006

Had a Brooklyn Octoberfest on a buddy's wedding trolley yesterday and it was pretty raunchy. First one I can recall having and won't be giving it a second try any time soon.

musicman7070 and JulianC like this.
  11. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

The #1 answer here is the "correct" answer: Voodoo Maple Donut. That was my last straw with Rogue. After getting mugged for $13 on that crap I've officially sworn them off entirely.
    Also, the nasty abomination known as Ass Kisser Chocolate Box. Not nearly as bad as the Voodoo but still just not for me.

On a side note- all haters feel free to send me their unwanted Southern Tier Blackwater stouts.

akbeerfiend, Brunite and klinger like this.
  12. Yeastie Boys Rex Attitude... Good God, that beer tasted like carbonated iodine. Not for the timid.

On that note, I thoroughly enjoyed Voodoo Maple Doughnut.

13. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (895) Texas Aug 15, 2010

I don't get the distaste for Old Stock Ale. I quite fancy it.

I'll never have Budweiser Chelada again. Or so I hope.

14. Brewdog's Storm still makes me angry when I see it on the shelf.

15. Bruery White Chocolate

voxomkid likes this.
  16. Kern river Isabella blonde. I'm a huge fan of everything they do, except that one. Two drinks and it fed the weeds.
    Rumor mill from the brewery has said it will be retired. They have so many other amazing beers that deserve to be year round instead of that bud light of craft beer.

17. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

Shipyard (except Export on tap only, everything else is pure swill), Gritty's, anything and everything Geary's, Moat Mountain, and Superbrew 15- just look at the reviews if you're having a shitty day and need a pick-me-up

Fluke828 and yeti123 like this.
  18. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Savant (335) Texas Sep 10, 2012

My Drain Pour List....

Anything IPA (Ranger, Arrogant Bastard, Saint Arnold Sailing Santa)
    Sour Beers / Ales (Duchess de Bourgogne)
    Belgian Beers that are NOT Delirium Tremens (I drain poured La Fin du Monde and Trappistes Rochefort 8)
    Belhaven Scottish Ale

There are too many beers to list that I would never buy again lol

19. Claybo

Claybo Disciple (70) Illinois May 29, 2011

I saw an empty 12 pack box of Red Dog in the alleyway the other day, which gave me a chuckle. However, someone forced me to drink a taste of Busch Light a few weeks ago (I was hanging out with some young people who wanted to play something called "Three Cup," similar to Beer Pong). Never. Again.

If you want to talk non-macro, then Hinterland's Winter Land. Some people can stomach that stuff, but I say no way.

20. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Another vote for (or against) Voodoo Doughnut.
    Also, DFH Midas Touch, Raison D'Etre, and Festina Peche; Ommegang Aphrodite; and Lindeman's Faro.

21. JustinQ

JustinQ Savant (305) California Nov 24, 2011

Cantillon Brouscella, Just not my thing.
    Black Butte XXIV
    Bruery Autumn Maple
    Probably a few more

22. Bushka

Bushka Disciple (65) Michigan May 4, 2012

Redhook Longhammer IPA. Immediate headache.

danipp likes this.
  23. draheim

Have you had Crème Brûlée? That beer should be sold in 2oz bottles.
    I have a bottle of Pumking in the beer fridge, never had it before. Now my curiosity is piqued.

gwguest and kmatlack like this.
  24. Yeah, I actually enjoyed Crème Brûlée for what it was: an alcoholic representation of the dessert it is imitating. I drank the entire bottle myself. I also did the same with Mokah, Javah, and Choklat, all from Southern Tier. Southern Tier's thing seems to be directly emulating whatever the inspiration for the beer was, and they are damn good at it. Perhaps it is not everyone's thing; perhaps some people can't tell they're still drinking a beer, and they do not like this ambiguity. Whatever the case, I will tell you right now that, in a word, Pumking is the beer representation of pumpkin pie, right down to the sweetness (though there is a VERY mild hop bitterness).

I suppose I just answered my own original query with this: some people don't like what Southern Tier does, and that is just fine. As a huge fan of the entire Blackwater Series and Pumking, I must say I cannot fathom never having another Pumking, Mokah, or Javah. I could probably do without drinking an entire Crème Brûlée bottle, but sharing one of those with a few friends (especially those who do not drink craft beer) would be a great experience in my mind.

To borrow an abbreviation from reddit: TIL not everyone enjoys Southern Tier's imitation-style of brewing.

25. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Camo. It just ain't right.

RKPStogie likes this.
  26. draheim

For the record, I really liked Mokah and Javah, as well as Choklat if I'm in the mood (still have a few of those in the cellar). Maybe Crème Brûlée was just a bridge too far for me. In any case, I'm more intrigued than ever by Pumking. Now wondering if I can hold out til Halloween to try it.

THANAT0PSIS likes this.
  27. ggfunk

ggfunk Savant (280) Oregon Mar 29, 2010

Bitch, Please

Boozecamel likes this.
  28. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I was thinking about this again today and I think that I would NEVER drink a Brooklyn Post Road again. I use to think it tasted amazing, but it honestly was so bland and flavorless to me this year. This use to be one of my favorite pumpkin beers ever too

29. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

Recently tried 2000 Lost Abbey Cuvée de Tomme and it was easily one of the worst beers that's ever been produced. It tasted like a nasty vinegar salad dressing. Also the Duchess de Bourgogne. Just awful stuff IMO.

30. RobinLee

RobinLee Savant (405) Wisconsin Feb 15, 2012

Gulden Draak and ST Pumking.

Maybe the quad is ok, but GD's white bottle tasted like water from a rusty tap. As for Pumking, it was well made, and indeed tasted of pumpkin, but I could not manage more than a glass. Good thing the bottle was a friend's.

31. yeah wake up dead sucks, which is weird because nitro milk stout it so good

32. godlessape

godlessape Savant (300) Georgia Dec 12, 2010

I'll never ever drink a light beer. It's been years since I have. Just can't shame myself or desecrate my palate like that anymore.

huhl23 likes this.
  33. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

Are you serious? Harvest is very good as well as Festina Peche. I would revisit those before you write them off.

As for myself, tough to say never to anything, but I do not see a Shipyard purchase in my future

34. Lucid Camo got drain poured after 3 sips on Fri night and I ticked it just to remind me not to drink it again.

Stella Beer in Egypt. By no means should you get this one confused with Stella Artois. It is like some one threw some moldy grain into some Nile water and canned it afterwards.

zirkusaffe likes this.
  35. New Holland Black Mad Hatter. just kind of fell flat for me.
    Magic Hat 9
    Bud Platinum (durp.)

What's with the Rogue hate?
    In all honestly, I'm just curious...why are they run poorly and by bad people?
    story?

36. Yea I really hated this beer too, too much all spice or anise.

I also was severly underwhelmed by several of Gritty McDuff's brew (there stout is ok, the rest is trash).

Sam Adams: Cherry Wheat, Coastal Wheat, Cranberry Lambic. Harpoon UFO Pumpkin. Smuttynose Star island Single.

Mayflower Autumn Wheat (I Love mayflower but I hated this brew).

37. wow all the hate for Southern Tier in this one. geeze. :( anyhow...

you couldn't pay me to drink anything from Weyerbacher, the stuffs just nasty, but to each his own right?!

Fluke828 likes this.
  38. Trader Joe's "Boatswain" line is brewed by Minhas (dba as "Rhinelander").

?

TJ's has or had contracts with, among others, Firestone-Walker, Schell, Goose Island, Gordon Biersch and Unibroue for their private label beers - pretty easy to figure out the actual brewer by looking at the city listed on the label and buy accordingly.

39. Reinbeck11

Reinbeck11 Savant (325) Iowa Aug 15, 2012

I know, my little bro thinks it's great, maybe he just thinks that cause I don't steal it from his fridge.

40. bomb

bomb Disciple (65) Pennsylvania Dec 9, 2011

Sam Adams Winter Lager.

What is up with the ST hate? I can see if the stouts and Pumking don't float your boat but people also don't like Unearthly, Backburner, or Gemini? How is that possible.