1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers you will never drink again

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by keithmurray, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Any IPA or pale ale over 4 months old.
    Goggy, muletrane and Lutter like this.
  2. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (480) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

Are you kidding me? Probably the best representation of the style!
    lovindahops likes this.
  3. EnronCFO

Anything from Coopers Cave or Davidson Brothers. Basically just avoid Glens Falls breweries and drink IPAs at Wallabees.
    Jimmyp7010 likes this.
  4. Biffster

Biffster Savant (365) Michigan Mar 29, 2004

Leinenkugel Summer Shandy. I will drink a lot of stuff with pals that I wouldn't tell most of you about (I'm not proud). But God damn - how awful. Its like drinking a bottle of carbonated Lemon Pledge.
  5. EnronCFO

Portsmouth brewed Cluster's Last Stand to be a modern day version of Ballantine IPA. So, not completely forgotten.
  6. BillieWest

BillieWest Aficionado (165) Oct 13, 2012

Yeah...Shipyard
    FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  7. mrbones

mrbones Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2010

Spontaawildstrawberry- tasted like tractor tires
    Voodoo doughnut
    Bully Guppy
  8. I have the ingredients to brew my own version, have done my internet research.
    They should have some bullion/brewers gold in there too.
  9. Horny Goat Milk Stout...so bland, so thin, so tasteless.
    BDEE likes this.
  10. Zach136

Zach136 Advocate (555) Georgia Jun 17, 2012

There are a ton of beers I would never seek out again... but the only ones I'd have to turn down if someone offered me a free one:

21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon - love 21A, but had to give this on back to the bartender
    New Belgium Lips of Faith Cocoa Mole - Maybe Chile beer just isn't my thing, but I dcouldn't even drink 3 oz of this before passing it to a buddy that liked it.
  11. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Came here to say Freaktoberfest. Worst beer ever.

And OP, Old Stock? Wow. I'm glad I don't have that problem.
    chanokokoro likes this.
  12. IHyphySF

IHyphySF Savant (280) California Nov 21, 2011

Evil Twin - Without you I am nothing - tasted like nail polish remover poured at a tasting 5 people instantly spit it out and at about 16 dollars per bottle
    Mikkeller - Sur Monk - not as bad as above but on the same level
  13. Fizzy yellow beer lover
    BDEE likes this.
  14. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

You hate everything that I love. :confused:

My list...
    Sam Adams Infinium (two of the best breweries in the world made one of the worst beers in the world)
    Rogue Voodoo Doughnut (fermented ashtray juice)
    South Austin Brewing - Anything. Seriously, go out of business. Their beers are worse than 90% of the amateur homebrew I've had and they like to charge $10 a bottle for this swill. They also only make 2 beers and have been in business for over a year.
    Jester King Weasel Rodeo - I bought 2 bottles of this and it was a mess (no carbonation and way too thick of a mouthfeel because of it... almost like cough syrup) The other two variations of this beer were damn near perfect though (Beer Geek Rodeo & Whiskey Barrel Rodeo). I think I got some bad bottles, but I don't want to chance $15/bottle again.
    HoustonZ33 likes this.
  15. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Agreed, Friendship is awful, this beers was friendly at all.
  16. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

THIS! I had it and absolutely hated it. Never again
  17. maximep

maximep Savant (265) New York Oct 23, 2009

Blushing Monk, Cerise

Tons of Mikkeller beers.
  18. kmatlack

kmatlack Savant (340) California Mar 29, 2010

Beers I've seen on here alot that I actually enjoyed:
    - Ghost Face
    - VooDoo Doughnut
    - Hell or High Watermelon

Never Again:
    - SA Triple Bock (Duh)
    - Mikkeller Monks Brew (Or really anything from them for that matter, still better than brewdog though...)
    - Lost Abbey Cuvee De Tomme (Not a Lost Abbey hater, this beer sucked ass though)
    - Southern Tier offerings (Really hate to hate on them, especially as one of my best friends loves ST, but I have yet to get a beer from them that I liked. Id drink it again I guess, but I wouldn't be happy about it.)
    - Farmhouse Black Metal stout (Really? Farmhouse? Go back to original recipe Jester King...)
    - Bourbon County Bramble (Just not my thing)
    - Alpine Nelson (Haha just kidding. That shit is delicious)
  19. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Savant (325) Texas Sep 10, 2012

I don't drink BMC (Bud, Miller, Coors) if that's what you're implying.

Saint Arnold, Shiner, Left Hand, Deep Ellum, Great Lakes, Real Ale, North Coast, Jester King, Clown Shoes, Karbach.

By far my all time favorite is Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #12...damned shame it was a One and Done Brew - I'm still trying to find another Old Ale that duplicates it or something. I hear that Founder's Curmudgeon Old Ale is a dead ringer for it (if not better)

Just cause I didn't find the popular choices suiting doesn't mean I'm out here drinking Bud Light Limes, You guys need to ease up a bit.

Ironically I liked that one...not enough to run out and pay $15 for it but I would always drink it if it was given to me. I didn't think Coffee and Peppers together in a Brew would work.....but they somehow pulled it off.
  20. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Have you tried Independence Brewing's Jasperilla Old Ale? It's not quite same same, but it should be locally available.
    HoustonZ33 likes this.
  21. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Savant (325) Texas Sep 10, 2012

I heard about that one but, I have to wait till (Feb - Mar) to get some.
  22. RobinLee

RobinLee Savant (380) Wisconsin Feb 15, 2012

Now I want to try SA Triple Bock, just to see what all the ruckus is about. Send them my way if you don't want them!
  23. diamondc

diamondc Savant (320) Texas May 30, 2006

Weird.. I just had a 2010 Old Stock Ale a few days ago and thought it was damn good. I got no heat at all, mostly got that butterscotch flavor.
  24. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

NB Lips of Faith La Follie
  25. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

I'd risk it. Though admittedly I love low carbonation in stouts and the flavor on this was fantastic. Had it from the bottle at Borefts 2012 a few weeks ago. Everyone thought Närke and their Konjaks! Stormaktsporter were going to be the big stars of the festival, which they technically were, at least token-wise. But once everyone tried the Whiskey Rodeo and this one, this was all they talked about. I actually preferred the regular to the Whiskey. It had amazing coffee and I wish I could get more of this stuff.
  26. Interestingly, there have been quite a few "clone/homage" ales brewed by craft brewers that were influenced by the Ballantine ales (both XXX and India Pale Ale), including Victory's 3 Ring Ale, City Steam's My Funny Ballantine, Woodstock Ale and Portland Ale from Portland Brewing Co., Syracuse Suds Factory's Pale Ale, Trap Rock Pale Ale, Bosco's XXX Pale Ale, etc. (Any others?)

It does dispel the oft-cited claim by some "craft" brewers that before they came along "...all American beer was fizzy, yellow tasteless light lagers..." and that at least some of their betheren were paying attention to all those "other" beers that still survived in the US in last half of the twentieth century.

Yeah, seems odd to not only use the "wrong" hops but then name the beer with a bad pun after them.
    tzieser likes this.
  27. Mojo

Mojo Savant (355) Alabama Jul 21, 2012

Founders Cerise - just didn't like the taste.
    Shocktop Belgian White - if I want to eat an orange popsicle, I'll eat an orange popsicle.
  28. Whatever beer Hitchino aged in Sake barrels. Also, the Long Trail Triple Bag with Brett that was served at the Vermont Brewfest in 2011. Those were the only two drain pours I have ever had. Too bad too because everything else from those two breweries I dig (especially Long Trail!).
  29. The Greene King version or the genuine article by Morlands which was pretty good?
    If you've only had it on tap or bottle, I agree. Reasonable pint on cask though.
  30. Left Coast Hop Juice
  31. Pumking and Stone 16th Anny
    BillieWest likes this.
  32. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Peach Tree Porter. Awful, just awful. I might catch some flack for this but I'll never drink Surly 5 again. I'm in no way a Brett fan at all along with a sour drinker.
  33. If I ever get Stone 16 again it will be with the intention of blending it; the lemon verbena was too potent on its own. I'm thinking it might just work with something like St Louis Framboise, complementary flavors that each tone down the others excesses. It may go without saying, but I would also have to be pretty bored and flush with cash to actually go through with it.;)

I like Pumking on its own (it would be better in 12oz. doses), but it also works really well with their 2X Stout.
  34. New Belgium Brett was the worst I had this year (I finished it but didn't want to). Also, SN Bigfoot (apparently I don't like barleywine at all).
    Ispeakforthetrees likes this.
  35. Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. I'd rather drink BMC Light than that crap.
  36. Found some information, they used Cluster for bittering, Bullion in the middle, and EKG (IIRC) for finishing.
  37. finado

finado Aficionado (105) Minnesota Jul 6, 2009

Samuel Adams Coastal Wheat and Guiness Black Lager
  38. Dogfish Head Black & Blue.
    Any other 10% witbiers.