1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers you will never drink again

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by keithmurray, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Victory Whirlwind, Corona anything, Dogfish Head Festina Peche
  2. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Agreed. I absolutely love Old Stock.
  3. chanokokoro

Two that come to mind immediately are Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown and Hoppin Frog/De Molen Super Charged Saison IPA. Toughed it out, but I was really close to drainpouring both of them.
  4. chanokokoro

I'll drink it, but to be honest, I find Two Hearted to be just...meh. I think I'm probably committing a sacreligious act by admitting this. It's a well-made beer, but for some reason it never connects with my tastebuds the way it must for most others. I've always found the nose to be so darn appealing, but the taste always tends to be a bit of a letdown for me.
  5. Idiot's Drool
    paulys55 likes this.
  6. Indybier

Indybier Aficionado (145) Illinois Nov 15, 2011

Post Road Pumpkin.

I forced it down to create room in the fridge.
  7. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (635) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Hmmm, yeah, that does seem to be sacrilege... You must go before the court to determine your fate! :) You're fate will be to drink it till you love it with the rest of the world!!! Ha ha!
    chanokokoro likes this.
  8. Indybier

Indybier Aficionado (145) Illinois Nov 15, 2011

I completely agree. Good beer, but, not as great as one would think from the masses here. Overrated comes to mind.
  9. Buckethead

Buckethead Initiate (15) Oct 21, 2012

Pretty much anything by Sierra Nevada & beers that aren't IPA's
  10. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Sol w/lime(flavor)
    Blue Moon hate the taste & the smell
    Smuttynose Brown Dog Ale, woof what a let down...the drain that is.
    Big Eddy, what a boozy, syrupy mess of a wanna be Sam Adams Imperial series. Sorry Leinny it's yet another swing and a miss.
  11. Miruguy

Miruguy Aficionado (220) California Nov 22, 2010

[
    I'm surprised you even bother posting on a beer related site. Maybe you're better suited for wine?
  12. LOCAL

LOCAL Savant (315) New Hampshire Oct 29, 2006

In regards to the OP, I'm currently sipping on a 2010 Old Stock and it tastes fantastic! Nothing like you describe. It's rich, malty, a touch of dark fruit and just the slightest bit of warming on the back end. No hot booziness to speak of.

Beers I wont be drinking again...
    Pumpkin Head... and most every other pumpkin beer.
    Old Speckled Hen - I got sick the first time I had it.
    Budlight Lime (not that I really wanted to drink it in the first place)- if only it tasted like lime and not a jolly rancher.
    Steel Reserve
  13. valdieu2

valdieu2 Savant (320) Maine Feb 23, 2012

7 or 8 years ago Geary's did a beer called American Ale and it was much like Ballentine XXX. I've had many of both.
  14. Pumking - based off the only bottle I have purchased. Someone either needs to temper my expectations, or convince me it shouldn't be flat and taste like an artifical cinnamon / nutmeg mess of a beer.
  15. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

This. Voodo donut abomination... blech
  16. Vigilante

Vigilante Aficionado (155) Nevada Aug 15, 2012

Abita Purple Haze
  17. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

King & Barnes Mild, unfortunately. Hole's AK, Shippo's Mild, Hull Mild, Simpkiss Bitter, Davenport's Mild, anything from Wem, Chesters Fighting Mild, Oldham Bitter, Branik Tmavé 12º, Maclay's 60/-, Yorkshire Clubs Dark Mild and many more.
  18. Any pumkin beer and any experimental beer from Dogfish
  19. Dragon's milk
    Stone 16th
    Brux
    Bitch Please (worst beer I've ever had)
  20. Yeah man, I still have a bottle of 2010 left, last weekend, tried to drink a bottle of it and I found it to be very unbalanced, I couldn't decipher any flavors beyond the booziness. Maybe I need to age it a couple of more years? I wish I could trade it for something.
  21. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (480) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

The wet cardboard taste is spot on. It's amazing people drink those beers, I think CC just reported their best year ever!
  22. fortsambo

fortsambo Savant (250) Colorado Feb 14, 2011

Shipyard pumpkinhead, thinking about it 3 days later still made me nauseous
    hilgart1 likes this.
  23. Plenty of beer I wouldn't seek out again, not because they are bad, but because I found beers that were better
    vicsju1991 and whendeathsleeps like this.
  24. Duck Rabbit - Rabid Duck

I'd rather eat the ass end out of a dead rhino than suffer through another sip of that.
  25. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

Miller Lite. Just nasty disgusting shit.
  26. Sorry about showing up a week later! I'm going to have to respectfully disagree on the Ola Dubh. I've had most(if not all) of the variants they make many, many times. They've ranged from good to over the top phenomenal.
  27. I don't believe there is a beer that I would refuse to ever drink again. However, if there was, Freaktoberfest would, most likely, be at the top of that list.
  28. Forgot about Davidsons. Grabbed a mix 12 pack this summer and it was horrible. There is a small brew place near an ice cream shop that had some really off beer as well a few years back. Is that coopers cave?

Enjoy
  29. modern

modern Aficionado (210) Ohio May 31, 2012

Never trying something again goes against the spirit of beer advocacy. Read the 2011 Devil Dancer reviews, then go drink one from this year. I suppose if you have just encountered something you don't like time and again, maybe. Otherwise go ahead, it isnt going to kill you.

30. Love the GF friendship. I did not think there was any cough medicine taste. Not a beer for all I can see but I hope they brew this for a long time and bring the price down. $14 a four pack. Ouch

Enjoy
  31. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Southern Tier Creme Brulee.
    WassailWilly likes this.
  32. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

I drank it for free on draft and I felt I was ripped off.
  33. Ruhstaller Hop Sac.
  34. King cobra, Budweiser, mickey's.

Campfire porter, bayhawk porter (disgusting), and so many more that I don't remember off hand, but would if I saw them.

Probably olfabrikken porter only because they don't make it any more, and I don't think I'll ever find another bottle.
  35. Yes that is Coopers Cave, the ice cream is the same company.
  36. Anything from Victory. If they didn't have a brewpub with fucked up management I'd be drinking the crap out of their beers. As it is I'll never spend another penny on their products.
  37. cosmonick

cosmonick Savant (320) Indiana Apr 19, 2010

Founders BA Spite - Habanero
    I was away from the table when the waitress announced that the Spites were just as hot as the corresponding fresh pepper. I figured it'd be hot... but it light me up! It actually wasn't a bad tasting beer, but I think I'd like it better in my chili than in my beer glass.
  38. OTB

OTB Savant (345) California Sep 2, 2011

Knuckle Sandwich. A boozy sweet mess of a brew. Moving away from the malty over alcoholic brews.

Cheers.....
  39. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (385) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

Elaborate?