1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

beet stout read beat stout

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by xhcadamx, Feb 10, 2013.

1. xhcadamx

xhcadamx Initiate (0) Maine Nov 23, 2007

2. I happen to like their line-up of beer. The Hog is quite good and traditional. The Bohemian was a nice surprise. Fat Alberta adds a peanut butter twist and the brown ale is solid. I expect they will just get better with time and hope their move to the new facility will pay off in spades. Throwback is not my go-to beer but I do enjoy trying their products. They usually have a table at the local farmer's markets which says a lot about their craft philosophy.
    smutty33 likes this.
  3. We hates the nasty beetses...

I haven't tried Throwback yet. I was actually looking forward to them at EBF, but alas, we all know how that went...
    Trevdawg likes this.
  4. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (250) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

People will dream up new / strange things in the name of creativity. Leave them to their devices if they don't interest you.

My college roommates got into homebrewing and made a PB&J beer which looked and smelled quite horrendous during the brewing process. When it came time to sample a bottle, it still looked unsettling, but tasted alright. I don't think I'd pay money for that beer, but I didn't mind their shenanigans. The nasty smell and mess from dealing with the spent malt on the other hand....
    603BeerMe likes this.
  5. I've been going to Throwback regularly for about a year now, and what seems gimmicky to you, is just the owners experimenting and having fun. This is part of their unafraid of the dark series, which are six experimental dark beers, each done two weeks a part. I was there a couple weeks ago and the head brewer was telling me about this beer and said she'd never tried brewing it before. She then proceeded to let me taste their barrel aged brown ale, well after their tasting hours had closed, and I kid you not it was one of the best sours I'd ever tasted.

I like the fact that they use ingredients from local farms and are willing to go outside the box. Some might fall short but others end up being great: jalapeño porter, cranberry ginger holiday ale, rhubarb whit, etc. They do actually make a good to great IPA (hop struck) and IIPA if you want a more standard beer.

The NH seacoast is really starting to become a craft beer destination. If you don't like Throwbacks beers fine, try the Blue Lobster, Smuttynose or Earth Eqgle, but I don't see any reason to bash them. I'd be curious to find out if the OP has even tried this beer (or any of their beers for that matter)...
    MugOfGoodness, smutty33, Pahn and 2 others like this.
  6. Love beets and was talking about them earlier today! Didn't/doesn't Magic Hat use beer juice in a beer? Wacko I think.
    FrankLloydMike likes this.
  7. Yeah, I think they used real beets in the first batch, then juice afterwards. That was also one of the worst commercial beers I think I've ever tasted (and not just because I hate beets, as it didn't actually taste like beets).
    smutty33 likes this.
  8. we served kerouac at a fest, a beet offering predating wacko. i don't recall disliking it.
  9. Completely agreed, and just wanted to add that their Meadow Mirth Fennel Flower Stout was one of my favorite beers of the past year. I first tried it at the NH Brew Fest at Redhook in October, and really enjoyed the refreshing, almost licorice aspect of the beer. I like that they're experimenting with local ingredients and different ideas--it's what brewers were doing hundreds of years ago, and well that's sort of the whole point of the throwback idea, isn't it?--as well as offering some really solid more traditional beers, such as their hefeweizen, brown ale and my personal favorite, the Oma's Tribute schwarzbier. I also happen to really like beets, and I think the beer sounds interesting. If I have a chance to sample it, it may not end up being my favorite beer and I may not even like it, but I'm glad they're trying new things on a small scale while offering a good lineup of more typical styles. At the end of the day, if I don't like the beet beer or any other experimental batch, at least I got to try something new, and if I do like it, well even better.
  10. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

not sure i'd like a beet beer, but i like people experimenting with creative ingredients. most of the beers they've come out with sound like things i'd give a try.

thanks for putting this brewery on my radar with the attempted bash thread.
  11. Plus Throwback has awesome Snifters.
  12. I checked their site for them but didn't see any :(
  13. [​IMG]
    Picked up a pair at Bert's Better Beers in Hooksett while I was up in NH visiting parents.
    smutty33 likes this.
  14. Gotta get one of those!
    Trevdawg likes this.
  15. F2brewers

F2brewers Moderator (390) Massachusetts Mar 12, 2005 Staff Member

Likewise, a few years back, The Tap had "Blood of a Thousand Corpses" (homage to Haverhill born Rob Zombie) at one of the BA fests.

Red? Yes. Earthy? Yes. But actually pretty interesting.

-Kevin.
  16. I picked up a pair for my father right before Christmas, and gave him a bottle of 16 yr Aberlour to go with them. They're really nice but are a bit on the small side (maybe 8oz) but that just let's them serve a duel purpose. If you give them a call during growler hours, they'll let you know if they're in stock.

Pahn, if you're interested in trying anything from them, they hand bottle a lot of their regular lineup (hefe, brown, pb stout, smoked porter, and soon their IPAs). They're available at a bunch of places in the Portsmouth area and I'm sure someone could hook you up. Or better yet, come up on a Saturday, and do the 11am tour at Smutty (grab some short batches if they've got them), then go to Portsmouth brewery to use your free beer card from the tour (lunch is optional), then walk over to Earth Eagle for some samples, then stop off at Throwback and Blue Lobster (open Saturday starting late February) on the way home. 4 oz samples are $1 at each place.
    FrankLloydMike and Pahn like this.
  17. xhcadamx

You are welcome! Just be prepared for muddled flavors at best and fermentation flaws as the norm. Enjoy!
  18. xhcadamx

I have noticed a Seacoast trend I like to call "but it's local". It's really hard to understand someone who drinks Allagash, HF, Pretty Things, etc.... and with the same palate thinks/states "xyz brewery 15 min from house" is doing a good enough job....
  19. Kelp

Kelp Savant (440) New Hampshire Mar 6, 2008

Gotta admit I am not their biggest fan but they do make a couple really good beers. I know no brewery out there ever tried to make some crazy beer before, they are obviously the first. Why so much hatred towards them? Nobody claimed they were going to be the next great brewery, but they are a decent local brewery and if I lived closer i would stop by more often than I do. Everybody doesn't like to travel long distances or stand in for hours just to get one offs or rare beer. Some people actually like just regular beers they can get down the street from them and talk to the brewers and create a relationship. If it was such a terrible place who made horrific beer people would stop going to them. Plus if you have some extra room why not try something outside the ordinary you never know what you might get.
    smutty33, Pahn and Vicirus like this.
  20. Well, not everyone has the same palate as you. And with well-established top-notch local breweries like Smuttynose, Portsmouth (and still relatively local Allagash, etc not far away), it's clear that Seacoast beer drinkers don't have to settle for "good enough" beer when looking for local beer to enjoy. So the success at Throwback and the small crowds there every time I've gone for a growler fill are evidence that people have a different palate than you do. You don't have to like what they brew, but that's no reason to bash them in a thread and suggest that everyone who likes their beer doesn't have good taste.
    smutty33 and 603BeerMe like this.
  21. ^^^Everything he said, x1,000,000.

OP: I think the 10-15 people I see at Throwback EVERY time I go for a fill, might disagree with you but we all know what opinions are like...

Personally, I would LOVE to sample the OP's non-gimmicky, non-muddled beers he/she brews...Anyone else?
    Gosox8787, MugOfGoodness and smutty33 like this.
  22. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

I recently had Fat Alberta sent to me in a trade and thought it was delicious!
    Tasted like a Hostess Funny Bone in a way.I'm all for breweries that like to take a chance and go against the grain.I suspect I will be visiting Throwback frequently when I eventually make trips to the new Smuttynose brewery when it is finally opened.I believe they will only be a half hour away.

Cheers All.......
    MugOfGoodness likes this.
  23. I went on Friday - had their new DIPA - Donkey Hote - it was yummy. I loved their stainless growlers and am going back to grab one full of the the Donkey if its still on tap later this week.
    smutty33 likes this.
  24. My co-worker had a growler of the Beet Stout that she didn't want (as she already had it and wasn't a huge fan). I've had a number of Throwback's beers in the past and definitely enjoyed the creativity, although with varying results.

The beet stout is definitely different. Tastes a lot like wilted beet greens with a slight roasty background. You can definitely get the beet flavors there and they become more pronounced as it warms. I was hoping the beet sugars would make for a sweeter and less vegetable heavy beer. An interesting beer to try, but I don't think I would revisit.