1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beginner Stouts

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JG629, Jan 27, 2013.

1. JG629

JG629 Aspirant (45) Pennsylvania Jul 22, 2011

Been getting into the craft scene lately and I was wondering what are some good beginner stouts to start venturing into the style?
  2. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Savant (260) Illinois Apr 4, 2007

Sierra Nevada stout, Lion Stout, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and Left Hand Nitro. These are good starter Stouts.
  3. jump right into the good stuff. no point in beating around the bush. pick up some FBS or Founders imperial stout. jjjyeaaaah
    PaleZombie, Gannon81, ESeab and 10 others like this.
  4. BladeRunner

Those are not beginner beers and I would never recommend them to someone that is just getting into the craft scene.
  5. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Stone IRS
    North Coast Old Rasputin.

Great beers and wont break the bank.

Cheers!
  6. I got started on stouts/porters with Gonzo Imperial Porter. Then worked my way towards the simpler ones. I guess the complexity and flavor strength is what got me into craft in the first place though.

I would suggest going to your local brewery and trying their stout, as well as all of their other offerings. As far as commercial goes I would say Barney Flats (sp?) from Anderson Valley. Great stout.
    jgluck likes this.
  7. Jaycase

Jaycase Advocate (690) Illinois Jan 13, 2007

What stouts have you had so far? And what have you liked/disliked?
  8. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Left Hand Milk Stout
    Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout
    Santa Fe's Java Imperial Stout
    Sam Smiths Oatmeal Stout
    Odell's Chocolate Milk Stout
    Ska's Steel Toe Milk Stout.

Distribution of some of these beers could be an issue depending on your location.
    emilystrikesagai likes this.
  9. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Savant (260) Illinois Nov 22, 2012

Ten Fidy , Kalamazoo Stout, Dark Horse I-IV
    kirkse and devlishdamsel like this.
  10. Beginner Stout; Bells Double Cream is very easy to drink in my opinion.
  11. Deschutes Obsidian
    Sierra Nevada Stout
    Firestone Walker Velvet Merlin
  12. Jaycase

Jaycase Advocate (690) Illinois Jan 13, 2007

I just had FW Velvet Merlin for the first time and I thought it an excellent low abv, full flavored stout. Hope it is available in your area.
  13. spaceman24

spaceman24 Aficionado (190) Texas Oct 7, 2008

Samuel Adams Cream Stout was what did it for me. I'll second Sam Smith's Oatmeal and Sierra Nevada Stout and add Young's Double Chocolate Stout to the mix.
  14. You really should start with Guinness.

Stay away from the Imperials for awhile. Do try oatmeal and milk stouts though.
  15. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

Ten Fidy is what converted me into a stout lover.
    ESeab, kirkse and fullmetal1381 like this.
  16. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Savant (260) Illinois Nov 22, 2012

Another thought get a few Porters , Founders, Bell's , Anchor....
    SWChi, SammyJaxxxx and TongoRad like this.
  17. Just crack open a Bourbon County Brand Stout. You'll be alright....
    Gannon81, MITCHELLMPLS and davey101 like this.
  18. Handle

Handle Savant (345) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

Beginner stouts aren't stouts at all, they're porters.

You wouldn't go looking for Double IPA recommendations without first trying a few pale ales and IPAs, right? I think the same is true of stouts. Sure, some are more "approachable" than others, but I would recommend trying a few porters first--or at least alongside, so you'll realize how the two styles differ (and how they are, often, quite similar).
    jgluck, SammyJaxxxx and davey101 like this.
  19. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

the long lost cousin to left hand nitro: keegan ale's milk stout... and joe mama's is a good intro coffee stout.
    kona brewing company makes a friendly beginnner stout as well....
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  20. JohnQVD

JohnQVD Savant (365) New York Jan 23, 2011

Mine was Guinness. Actually, that was the first beer I would pay money for. Imperials might be a bit much to start with, depending on what else you like, but I would totally recommend Founders Breakfast Stout. Also, Left Hand Milk Stout, regular or nitro, Young's Double Chocolate for English, Murphy's and O'Hara's for Irish. Also also, I'm not much of a Magic Hat fan, but I quite liked Heart of Darkness.
    krl2112 likes this.
  21. Sammy Smith Oatmeal. One of my first real 'craft beers.'
  22. Schmuck82

Schmuck82 Initiate (0) Texas Nov 13, 2008

I remember when I first started I liked Young's Double Chocolate Stout a lot.
    RobertColianni and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  23. The first stout I found that I really really enjoyed was Founders Breakfast Stout , I suggest trying it first ,not sure if it will ruin the rest for you or not , but this one really changed my mind
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  24. I dont know, I think it depends on the person. Along the FBS/FIS lines, If you want to go this route I would recomment Yeti. It is available usually year round in bombers and 4packs. Yeti was greatly instrumental in my growing love for stouts. Grab a 4 pack, keep drinking it if you dont like it, by the time you finish it you'll want more.
    tobelerone likes this.
  25. that happened to me with barleywines. my first sip of bigfoot and i didnt know what to think. didnt really like it. but the second one i cracked open i fell in love. the end.
    El_Zilcho likes this.
  26. When I first started it was Old Rasputin that opened my eyes to the glory of the stout, Ten Fidy is another game changer (both not hard to find)
    highdesertdrinker likes this.
  27. <Disclaimer- 'beginner' stouts and porters are quality beers that you never truly outgrow, no matter the connotation associated with the phrase.>

Samuel Smith Taddy Porter and Oatmeal Stout have won many people over, and for good reason- the classic butterscotch/sherry Yorkshire yeast signature is truly in its environment with these roasty beers, and the balance of flavors is just perfect.

Anchor Porter is an amazing American/English hybrid beer that is still unmatched on either side of the Atlantic. Bold, assertive malt flavors combined with a complex yeast signature- best of all worlds. Best between 2-6 months old- check out their page on BA for the date code-
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28

Sierra Nevada Stout/ Deschutes Obsidian Stout- classic west coast style stouts, combining the coffee-like black malts with citrusy hops- like a lemon peel in your espresso- and neutral yeast to allow those hops and malts to shine.
  28. Seriously, if Gonzo was my first porter/stout I ever had, I probably wouldn't have ever wanted another porter/stout again. It was way too extreme for me. I think trying something too complex to start can overwhelm someone and cause them to shy away from that style.
  29. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

That's dumb. No need for newbs to wallow in mediocre Belgians and pale ales. Place them in the advanced class right from the start.
    PaleZombie and frankthetank86 like this.
  30. chuckstout

chuckstout Aficionado (225) Ohio May 22, 2006

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout!
  31. Had an uncle over during the holidays who didn't know much about much about beer..... only that he liked a wide array of styles. I went out to shop for dinner and I guess while I was away, he decided he was going to grab a beer. Apparently, he reached into the fridge and grabbed a 2-year old World Wide Stout. I came home to find him with the empty bottle sitting next to him.

Me: What did you grab that one for? I had been aging that brew and was saving it for a special occasion. You know that was like 18+% ABV, right.
    Uncle: I was wondering why I was so hammered. That was pretty damn good though!

Lesson he learned: Drink big stouts or go home.
    ESeab, TastyIsBeer and fullmetal1381 like this.
  32. I'd consider starting with milk stouts/lighter bodied stouts. Bell's Kalamazoo, Double Cream are both good introduction's. Some heavier Porter's could be a good gateway too. Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter is a dandy.
  33. juliusseizure

juliusseizure Savant (420) New York Feb 11, 2009

I'd go with Chocolate Stouts/Milk Stouts. Because whether you like stouts or not, who doesn't like chocolate/milk. That's what helped me transition from hops to stouts.
  34. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Savant (295) Missouri Jan 16, 2011

Exactly. Get right into it. I would recommend Founders Breakfast Stout.
    frankthetank86 likes this.
  35. I don't think there's such a thing as a beginner's stout. Just good stout and boring stout. Go for it.
  36. There seems to be this go big or go home attitude about stouts. Imperial Stouts are undoubtedly amazing, and happen to be my personal favorite style. But that particular attitude implies that "regular" stouts aren't as good. They are two different beasts, both having unique offerings. Start smaller, learn what a stout is, then move to bigger, badder stouts. Build an appreciation from the bottom up.
    wesbray and vurt like this.
  37. BladeRunner

That is not how you develop your palate.
  38. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Aficionado (170) Oklahoma Jun 28, 2011

Just try North Coast Old Rasputin and Sierra Nevada Stout, and you'll be fine, it's as simple as that. Don't listen to the dbags on here. Available almost anywhere (at least SN), and tasty. Both of these brews will give you a basic understanding of american imperial stouts, then you can move on from there with different nuances.
    WhiteJordan likes this.
  39. Obsidian Stout is all you need.
    Gannon81, Falcone and Onenote81 like this.
  40. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Sierra Nevada Narwhal. It's not quite go-big-or-go-home, but it has that paradoxically simple complexity that I've come to know and love in imperial stouts.

First though, I would go to the local bottle store and mix-six a couple local stouts (New Glarus Coffee Stout comes to mind for me in WI) to try and think about what your palate is experiencing as you drink them. Then move on to the bigger guns.
    Gannon81, ESeab, mecummins and 3 others like this.