1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Beginner Stouts

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JG629, Jan 27, 2013.

1. tectactoe

tectactoe Member

I always recommend New Holland's "The Poet" to my friends who aren't into stouts, and it has always been a pretty big hit. I recommend it if you can find it.
    ESeab likes this.
  2. Bonis

Bonis Member

I think all the 10%+ abv suggestions are hilarious and insane.. Are we trying to turn the OP away from stouts? I mean come on people!!!
    Ten Fidy
    Brooklyn Black Chocolate
    Old Rasputin
    Narwhal
    Black Tuesday??
    Even I think those are extreme beers and I have been drinking big stouts for around 4 years.. If those are serious suggestions, the palates of the suggesters must be ruined or they have forgotten what "beginner" means in the beer drinking world. My one exception would be Founders FBS.

I would suggest:
    Stockyard Oatmeal Stout
    Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout
    Left Hand Milk Stout
    Youngs Double Chocolate Stout
    Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout

Gotta start with low abv and velvety flavors!
    StoutChaser7D and BladeRunner like this.
  3. JG629

JG629 Member

So I just got back from my local bottle shop and ended up getting Founders Breakfast Stout, Great Lakes Blackout Stout, and Victory Storm King, so well see how it goes and what I like
    ESeab likes this.
  4. StoutChaser7D

StoutChaser7D Member

Sounds like a great start, report back and let us know your thoughts!
    JG629 likes this.
  5. JG629

JG629 Member

Tried the Victory Storm King and the Founders Breakfast Stout tonight. The Storm King was pretty good but I really couldn't place the all of the flavors I was getting. On the other hand, the FBS blew me away, it was amazing which I find funny because I don't drink coffee and I really dont care for it but the way the coffee and chocolate flavors combined was phenomenal to me. I will definitely be buying some of those again and am looking forward to continuing my adventure into stouts
    StoutChaser7D and ESeab like this.
  6. BklynTerp

BklynTerp Member

Same reaction I had with Breakfast stout. My beer world was pretty much IPAs, Germans/Belgians, and standard stuff from Brooklyn Brewery until a friend had me try Breakfast Stout. I literally never drink coffee but it still blew me away and I've been hooked to that and porters/stouts in general since. Its one of my favorite beers period, although Im limited to only 200ish so far.
    ESeab likes this.
  7. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Member

Saint peters cream stout, I'll also echo ska steel toe milk stout, velvet merlin, and add bristols winter warlock. Seriously, if you haven't aclimated your palate to big ass stouts, don't waste your time with the imperial variety yet. I have heard people drainpouring these beers simply because they are way too big and overwhelming for the uninitiated. Take your time, explore the variety of plain old stouts before getting too carried away.
  8. sm0key

sm0key Member

Beginner stout to me means lighter in body than most suggestions here. Go with Guinness extra stout. It will never be mistaken with drinking cough syrup! You can work your way up from there.
  9. ESeab

ESeab Member

I hated, wait, I didn't 'enjoy' stouts at all except the occasional Brooklyn Black Chocolate ( when I was in college my beer math said "10.5% abv for, then a 6 pack $9.99? Thats better than getting a 12 pack of yuengling for the same price." Early this year I was introduced to half a glass of BCBS. I didn't really know what I was getting into or how to Really know what I'm drinking. I liked it, didnt love it, but just knew it was boozey. This winter I had FBS and Ten Fidy and it changed my whole world of, not only stouts, but beer in general. They had huge complex flavors and warmed me up inside. I never really liked stouts much in general, I just thought they were thin (which everyone thinks the opposite) but now Imperial stouts are my top 3 styles of beer. If you like lots of flavor, go straight to the good stuff. Narwhal, Blackout stout, 3bea,n Old Heathen, Storm King, and Wake n Bake are all great choices as well. Oh, and I just had an Elysian Dragonstooth Oatmeal stout the other night, fantastic way to start oatmeals
  10. ESeab

ESeab Member

What a perfect grab of three totally different but all good stouts. FBS - coffee/complex GLBS- Real balanced and clean VSK- Hoppy stout. Have fun!
  11. ImageFX

ImageFX Member

Ten Fidy is my fav! But I wouldn't try that first.

My Suggestion:
    Terrapin MooHoo
    Left Hand Milk Stout
    Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro
    ...not a Stout but...Sierra Nevada Porter
  12. bonercity

bonercity Member

13. iKasey

iKasey Member

Honestly, Storm King isn't a good intro stout. It's a very hoppyish stout and you won't find too many others like it. With you being in PA, Left Hand Milk is readily available and I also think the PERFECT stout to start off with is Bells Double Cream stout, pretty accessible, too. Also, since you liked FBS so much, Terrapin Wake N Bake is available in some places now and that's just as good (same stout style) as FBS.
  14. slarrage

slarrage Member

Victory Donnybrook (nitro tap) got me interested in stouts
  15. biglite351

biglite351 Member

A starter stout for the masses should be an Oatmeal. They are usually not bitter, not too strong, not too high in ABV, not too strong of flavor. They are the 4 door family sedan of the stout world. They get the job done but are not specialized towards any extreme.
  16. anth0ny

anth0ny Member

I disagree, maybe not Founders Imperial, but I think Breakfast Stout is a good option. That was probably my first or second stout as a craft beer drinker and I liked it from the first drink. I have had others say the same. It has big flavor, but it's a very like-able flavor. I would also recommend Left Hand Milk Stout, Young's Double Chocolate (nitro can, wooooo), New Holland The Poet, Sam Adams Cream Stout. All easy drinkers, then start in on the imperials.
  17. CTJman

CTJman Member

i'd suggest some sort of lower alchol % and a Flavored Stout or even a Porter. Depends where you are too and what you can get