1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Belgian Beer Weekend in Brussels 9/1 - 9/2

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by BuffaloBelgians, Aug 24, 2012.

1. BuffaloBelgians

BuffaloBelgians Member

Ok, so I won a trip to Belgium from Affligem USA and DRAFT magazine. We get into Brussels around 10:00 in the morning on 8/30 and are there until Monday, 9/3 before we head to Cologne for 2 days. Going to be at Affligem Abbey/Mort Subite all day Friday (part of the package), and I was told we have "admission" to the beer fest at the Grand P'lace that weekend. But from the looks of it on the website, there really isn't an admission fee, it's more or less "pay per play", i.e. you have to buy full pours/bottles, it's not all inclusive with a flat fee or tickets or anything. Anyways, wanted to know if any of you have been to this before and have some suggestions as far as straegy or how it all goes, and if anyone is going, we'd love to make some new friends there. Got a full docket the rest of the weekend, between the beer bars and going to Cantillon and possibly Drie Fonteinen. Thanks in advance!
  2. Dennoman

Dennoman Member

Remember that Drie Fonteinen are holding their annual tasting days that weekend, that would be my top priority over this festival. Sadly I can't spare the time to go to either.
  3. BelgianBeerPope

BelgianBeerPope Member

Well, if you go to the festival @ Grand Place you're sure to make some new friends there as the place is packed ! ! !
    Now the downsides :
    1. Getting the (beer)coins is a pain in the @ -> expect 1 hour cueing
    2. They serve the 'full monty' (33cl), if you like the heavy beertypes this means limited tasting capacity
    3. As a consequence, there are a lot of loud, annoying drunk people over there
    4. The small breweries aren't there
    I will visit on Friday :)
  4. azorie

azorie Member

on the plus side your in Belgium and your drinking beer in the square.:D
    The food is good and the chocolate is very good, The potatoes fries are too die for, get extra mayo. lol
  5. andrejes

andrejes Member

I will be there!!!! First 3 fonteinen and then 2 days Beer weekend!!!! OH Yes!!
  6. Brabander

Brabander Member

I will not be there! (and i wish all the ones who go lots of fun!)

Thijs
  7. mwc

mwc Member

When / where is the 3 Fonteinen tasting?
  8. andrejes

andrejes Member

9. rube1023

rube1023 Member

To check out Drie Fonteinen this weekend, do I just show up between 10 and 5, or do I need to have some sort of reservation?
  10. andrejes

andrejes Member

Open days!!! So just show up!!!