1. One Hundred Mags (Rule). Check out the sneak peek of BeerAdvocate magazine #100, plus some of the changes coming your way.

Belgian ferment question

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by mcnizzle, Mar 10, 2012.

1. So I was listening to the podcast of Can You Brew It on the Brewing Network for Rare Vos by Ommegang. They say at the end to ferment at 72-77, what exactly does that mean? That's a pretty wide range to choose from. Can any of temperatures in that range work? Or does it mean the temperature rises throughout fermentation? Just not sure what this means, and I'm dying to try brewing this beer. It will be my first Belgian. If anyone has any insight, it will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (820) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

What yeast are you using? Generally, any temp in stated ranges (from the yeast makers) can work, but since you are quoting from a recipe, who knows what the author meant? He/she may have meant to ramp up.

I have made a couple of batches inspired by (but not clones of) Rare Vos, using Wyeast 1762. In my case, I pitched the yeast at 64F, then raised the temp 1 degree per day until it reached 74F, then maintained at 74F until packaging. They turned out pretty well I think. Also, if you use 1762, I recommend giving the beer plenty of time on the yeast before packaging. For me, it seemed to make a more than an average amount of acetaldehyde, which will clean up fine if you are patient.

3. It is WLP570 - Belgian Golden Ale yeast.

I appreciate the feedback. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but I'm looking forward to trying this yeast.

4. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (820) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

WLP570 (or Wyeast 1388) is another one I ramp up. And although some recommend taking it up over 80F, my experience is it can get fusel-y. By the way, is this the strain the podcast recommended? I wouldn't have guessed that, but then, I haven't tried it in a lower gravity belgian either.

5. Yes. That is what they suggest.

They split it over 2 batches. One was WLP530, and the other is 570. They thought the 530 came out a little too clean.