1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Belgian IPA recipe

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jheezee, Mar 2, 2012.

1. jheezee

jheezee Savant (330) Texas Sep 22, 2010

How does this look to you guys?

14 lbs 2row
    1 lb 30 crystal
    1.5 lb Marris Otter

1 oz Zeus (60 min)
    1 oz Centennial (30 min)
    1 oz Columbus (10 min)
    1 oz Centennial (dry hop)
    1 oz Columbus (dry hop)

Wyeast 3787

Do you think this will work? Please let me know any critiques you may have as I am very open to changing it...thanks!
  2. It reminds me of a beer I just made except I used zythos for bittering, and centennials and simcoes for flavor and aroma. I used the White Labs Belgian 530 ale yeast and it is awesome. I'm not a huge fan of columbus hops which to me are a bit skunky. I had columbus hops in a DIPA I made. I'd substitute simcoe for columbus. I actually used pilsner malt as my base. I want to try your recipe with a different hop combination and aroma hops at the last minute of the boil. I would use the white labs 550 trappist yeast though.
  3. mattcrill

mattcrill Advocate (710) Ohio Mar 16, 2004

Why the Marris Otter vs. 2 row? What are you trying to achieve? Just trying to understand.

I've never made one but the best ones that I've had used Pils or 2 row and let the hops and yeast shine.
  4. jheezee

jheezee Savant (330) Texas Sep 22, 2010

Thanks guys. I changed the grain bill to 15.25 lbs of Pilsner and 1.25 lbs of 30 crystal.
    I am also taking your advice on the hops and yeast.
  5. mattcrill

mattcrill Advocate (710) Ohio Mar 16, 2004

Sounds great. Let us know how it turns out.
  6. I used WLP530 on a recent amarillo single hop batch to GREAT success. It was cold here, and I reckon the average fermentation temp was just below 64 but t turned our=t really nice. The yeast produced some nice belgian/ fruity characteristics, but they were pretty mellow and not very spiced or banana forward... just a great fruitiness that mad the amarillos taste like peaches. My two cents.:D