1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Belgian IPAs : What's Your Take?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ThirstyFace, Aug 29, 2013.

1. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Member

This has never been a real winning style, despite having a few tasty ones. My beef has really been that the style seems to be "imperialized" for no good reason. Lagunitas Wild and Raging Bitch as popular examples.

Anyway, Stone Cali-Belgique enters last night, and I have to say, it's exactly what I always hoped a Belgian IPA could be. Bright, complex and really just elegant on the nose and tongue.

I know this beer is well reviewed, but I don't really recall any waves being made over it. Not do I ever recall seeing it in the nightly what are you drinking threads.

Anyway again, blown away by this delightful brew.

That's all. As you were.
  2. philbe311

philbe311 Member

I love Belgian IPAs... I've only got one bit of advice... Embrace the gnome...

[​IMG]

I would also suggest Green Flash Le Freak and Gouden Carolus Hopsinjoor.
  3. geocool

geocool Member

It seems to me one could make a strong case that (in general) the American made ones are a different style category from the Belgian made ones. The former are basically American IPA's with Belgian yeast, while the latter are more well hopped Belgian ales (with or without American hops). I like the Belgian made ones.
    frothyhead, mfnmbvp and Duff27 like this.
  4. Thehuntmaster

Thehuntmaster Member

Gouden Carolus Hopsinjoor and Bitter monk are the only Belgian IPAs I have had and both were delicious!
    Geuzedad likes this.
  5. Vitacca

Vitacca Member

Argh...this is really annoying me. I'm not a fan of the style but I had a Belgian IPA that floored me last year. Wish I could remember it so I could share it with you. I'm also closing one eye so I can type...that may or may not have something to do with my recollection.
  6. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Member

Yeah, but both that you mention are 9% or above (and I do like them a bit...though far less than C-B) l. It's not that I can't handle that ABV, but for example, I would not imbibe a 9% on a weekday. In fact, I try to avoid brews at that level on most days, instead holding out for those "beer moments" to drink them (aka, Friday night, kids are in bed, and the moon is lighting up the yard...silence).

What I loved about Cali-Belgique was just how damn perfect it was without having to go apeshit on ABV.
    zid likes this.
  7. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Member

Agreed. I do prefer the Belgians, but no BIPA, American or Belgian, hit me with magnificence like Stone's.
    sacrelicio likes this.
  8. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Member

Sounds like you're starting to develop a taste for the style. It's a great one to get into, and fun to find the best and most surprising out there.
  9. Nanners

Nanners Member

10. geocool

geocool Member

If you liked that at 6.9% then you should love De Ranke XX Bitter at 6.2%, right?
  11. MikeReserva

MikeReserva Member

Viven imperial IPA
    Dochter van de Korenaar Belle-Fleur
    Dochter van de Korenaar Extase (14 hops, very bitter)
    Excalibur IPA
    Struise Svea Ipa

Quite tasty.
    CaptainPiret likes this.
  12. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Member

Haven't had it, but I think I saw that on growler fills at Whole Foods yesterday. Is that possible?
  13. geocool

geocool Member

I suppose, I have seen it on draft in the US on occasion. And if it's on tap then it's probably fresh, right? Unfortunately, getting 64 ounces would kinda ruin the point of favoring a lower ABV beer, wouldn't it?
  14. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Member

Yes, it would. I'm not a big growler sort. I reserve growler fills for beers that I have no access to otherwise, but also otherwise cannot resist.
  15. afi4lifer

afi4lifer Member

I believe Piraat Ale is considered a Belgian IPA and its one of my favorite beers.
    fmccormi, colty42, EBeckett3 and 2 others like this.
  16. blivingston1985

blivingston1985 Member

Came to say the same
    Greywulfken likes this.
  17. Yosefus

Yosefus Member

I'm actually a big fan of Coronado's Hoppy Daze IPA. Reminds me of their Islander IPA, but with the deliciousness of a Belgian strain thrown in. On a similar note, when did Coronado get so dang expensive!?!? A sixer of Islander is $17 in NC, whereas the same sixer was $11 last spring.
  18. jivex5k

jivex5k Member

I just can't get into them.
    I'd rather have a fresh two hearted or jai alai.
  19. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Member

Some are good, but like many American interpretations of Belgians, too many of the American examples are just fruity booze bombs with some hops on top.
  20. Danny1217

Danny1217 Member

Not something I've really been able to get into. I have enjoyed a couple throughout the past couple years, but I definitely never find myself wanting to purchase any.
  21. hnandez

hnandez Member

I've recently started hitting up a lot of Belgians. I love the flavor of the Belgian yeast.

So far the closest I've had to a Belgian IPA is Sumpin Sumpin Wild and I loved it. I remember trying Cali Belgique years ago and not liking it, maybe I will revisit it, we all know that our palates tend to change with time.
  22. frankb34

frankb34 Member

Don't know if this qualifies, but I find the SN Beer Camp Belgian black IPA to be delicious. I hope they decide to add it to their line up.
    ChipMurray and premierpro like this.
  23. millionsuns

millionsuns Member

Or you could kick it up (or down) a notch and go for De Ranke XXX Bitter at 6.0%. It's scrumptious.
  24. Ri0

Ri0 Member

Ale Asylum Bedlam. An awesome take on Belgian IPA. Citra hops and Belgian yeast are so delicious together.
  25. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Member

I wouldn't say the style is "imperialized" for no good reason. It's kind of a hybrid between American IPAs and Belgian Tripels, and the latter of those two tends to be in the range of 8% and up when it comes to ABV.

As far as Cali-Belgique goes, it's been many months since I last had it, but while it smelled like a Belgian ale from the distinctive yeast, the taste was mostly just a standard west coast IPA. If I'm drinking a Belgian IPA, I want something that tastes kind of like a hoppy tripel. Le Freak, Raging Bitch, Little Sumpin' Wild and Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel all seem to fit that bill.

For suggestions of other Belgian IPAs that the OP might find more to his (her?) liking based on enjoying Cali-Belgique, I would recommend Chainbreaker by Deschutes and Belgo by New Belgium (if this one is still around--I'd heard that they weren't producing it any longer).
  26. geocool

geocool Member

Since the former has 611 reviews while the latter has only 5, I was assuming that one is not particularly easy to come by?
  27. mdonkey

mdonkey Member

All of this is spot on.
    decimator and djl9701 like this.
  28. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Member

Those are not in NY. I think I might just stick with Cali-Belgique, since it really does what others do not for me.
  29. millionsuns

millionsuns Member

It was brewed for The Festival this year w/a limited bottle run afterward. So maybe not the best rec for the OP here, but changed my view of what BIPAs could be. A lower ABV offering packed with flavor - the potential is there.
  30. BB1313

BB1313 Member

I absolutely love Belgian IPAs, although they can be hit or miss.. I like the ones with hop flavor and not just hop bitterness..

My faves are Sumpin' Wild, Raging Bitch, and Columbus Big Frank
    rails likes this.
  31. Immortale25

Immortale25 Member

I love Cali-Belgique, Le Freak and Sumpin Wild but I've had Piraat and Houblon Chouffe multiple times and they always taste skunked and void of hop flavor. I think that every bottle I've had was sitting for too long by the time I got to them. Same thing with the De Ranke XX I had a couple weeks ago although I know it had been sitting for over a year due to the freshness date. Living and learning is expensive.
  32. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Member

I agree with geocool’s first post. Below is something I posted previously:

“I am of the opinion that there are two sub-styles of Belgian IPAs.

“There is an American style Belgian IPA where American hops are used. Examples of this sub-style are Flying Dog Raging Bitch, Lagunitas A Little Sumpin Wild, Stone Cali-Belgique, Green Flash Le Freak, etc.

The Belgian brewed Belgian IPAs utilize European hops which result in a beer of a different character. Examples of this sub-style are De Ranke XX Bitter, Poperings Hommel Bier, Piraat, etc.

My personal preference is the American style Belgian IPA with my favorite being Flying Dog Raging Bitch. I also really like the Flying Dog’s new beer: Wildeman Farmhouse IPA.”

Cheers!
    Mongrel and utopiajane like this.
  33. I realise "IPA" can mean almost anything, but Piraat? Really? Seemed like a Tripel to me. Never in a million years would I have called it an IPA.
    AndrewM661 likes this.
  34. MikeReserva

MikeReserva Member

I agree.
  35. Aleforme

Aleforme Member

Not really a fan, but to each his own.

My biggest beef is with american breweries who just label their brews as an IPA when the brew is clearly a BIPA style. If brewing a Belgian style IPA, please label it as such. I have bought several IPA that turned out to be a BIPA style without knowing. Don't always have time to check reviews first.
    Premo88 likes this.
  36. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Member

Who does that? It's been my experience that the B bit is the sell and differentiator.
  37. jrenihan

jrenihan Member

I am a big fan of Belgian IPAs. Not sure how easy it is to find outside of Canada (probably not very), but Microbrasserie Charlevoix's Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus is my favourite. A really wonderful beer. Aside from that, I am surprised nobody has mentioned Duvel Tripel Hop yet. Great twist on a classic!
  38. RyanCave

RyanCave Member

I've only had 2 belgian IPA (Raging Bitch and my own homebrewed one) and loved it, its definitely up there for brews I will be seeking out
  39. Aleforme

Aleforme Member

Wingman Ace IPA was one that I had a few months back (maybe 6 months ago?). No mention of a "B" or "Begian" on the can. Maybe they have changed the cans since then but at least the can I got back then and the photo in the link below just shows IPA.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24029/72808

There are a couple others I have tried but can't think of them off the top of my head.
  40. kjrod20

kjrod20 Member

I was going to mention Rayon Vert but I guess that's just more of a Belgian pale. Still awesome though.