1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Belgian Strong Pale, Belgian Strong Dark, Tripels Quads and Dubbels:

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Derranged, Dec 24, 2012.

1. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

BDSA
    Quads

everything else...

with tripels way at the bottom
  2. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

1. Quad
    2. Tripel
    3. BSDA
    4. BSPA
    5. Dubbel
  3. CaptainTripps

CaptainTripps Initiate (0) Oregon Aug 8, 2010

1. BSDA = Quad
    2. Tripel
    3. BSPA
    4. Dubbel
  4. frankly it's a bit frustrating that the site still keeps some of these categories. being one of the most popular beer education resources should carry with it some modicum of responsibility. i've been encountering way too many people (and increasingly so) who honestly believe that there is a tangible stylistic difference between st bernadus abt 12 and gouden carolus cuvee van de kaizer blue. all because this site told them so. and i know this site is the reason, because early in my own beer education, i also took this site's info as gospel.
    vickersspitfire likes this.
  5. Specific beer style listings sometimes annoy me, they used to have Hoponius Union listed as a Dortmunder which it is nothing like at all obviously. As for the topic at hand:
    1. BSDA/Quad
    2. Dubbel(those who hate Dubbels need to drink more Rochefort 6)
    3. BSPA(though it can be hit or miss)
    4. Tripel
  6. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Savant (425) Indiana Jun 5, 2012

This.
  7. I celebrate them all equally.
    tai4ji2x and decimator like this.
  8. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (500) California Sep 13, 2009

BSDA
    Quads
    Doubbles
    Tripels
    BSPA
  9. vickersspitfire

vickersspitfire Savant (410) Texas Dec 11, 2006

BSDA
    Quadruple
    Dubble
    Tripel
    BSPA
  10. Quad
    BSDA
    Dubbel
    BSPA
    Tripel (Hate coriander in my beer)
  11. not all tripels have coriander, and probably quite a few of examples of the other styles you prefer, do.
  12. bellce0

bellce0 Aficionado (220) Georgia Feb 20, 2010

Again, these styles often have some overlap, but my favorite is a Belgian Golden Ale.
  13. cyraschris

cyraschris Aficionado (180) Florida Dec 15, 2012

quad/bsda
    tripel
    dubbel

as far as bspa, haven't really tried too many so I can't weigh in on that. and then put almost every other variety of beer, then put lambics and saison/flanders red.
  14. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

They are similar but Quads are more fruity than BSDAs, at least from what I have tried.
  15. try more ;)
  16. Trick question - Dubbels/Quads ARE BSDA's and Tripels/Golden Ales ARE BSPA's.
  17. I can't say that I agree with the unity of tripel/golden/BSPA I think there are plenty of examples that show that different styles exist. Tripel today is understood to be roughly in the vein of Westmalle, with a golden color and moderate hop balance to a dry and boozy finish.

I think there exist strong pale ales on either side of the tripel range that are stylistically distinct from tripel. On the lighter side, you have strong golden ales (Duvel and the like) which are sometimes as low in alcohol as dubbels and have a very light body and delicate profile compared to many tripels. I think Stan Heironymous makes a good case for this break in Brew Like A Monk. On the other side, you have amber beers with more sweetness and malt flavor/fruitiness than tripels. These beers aren't dark ales but aren't tripels either. Some grand crus sand amber beers would fit this range, like Gouden Carolus Ambrio or De Dolle Stille Nacht. I just think triple (and strong golden ale for that matter) are very narrowly defined while there are plenty of other Belgian strong ales that are not dark that fit better in a looser category.

BSDA is a pretty large range as well, but quad/abt beers don't share anything in common that plenty of other BSDAs don't share as well.
  18. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

This plus, you can wipe the BPA and Trip's off the list
    luwak likes this.
  19. Tripel
    Quad
    Dubbel
    BSDA
    BSPA
  20. could you clarify? not necessarily disagreeing, but curious. whatever the case, do you think that this site is correct to list chimay blue and st bernadus abt 12 as different styles?
  21. Reinbeck11

Reinbeck11 Savant (270) Iowa Aug 15, 2012

I give you more Cow Bell for this response.
    luwak likes this.
  22. Tripels
    Quads
    BSPA
    BSDA
    Dubbels

Bang.... I agree with your (OP) order...exactly.
  23. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

Tripels/BSPA
    Dubbels
    BSDA/Quads
  24. Just saying that despite a broad range within BSDA, beers called quadruple/abt don't all have any characteristics that the other beers don't have besides the name. And I do think that abt 12 and blue are the same style.
  25. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (450) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

This is my exact list, and I also, now that I think about it, have definitely not tried enough Dubbels. There don't seem to be too many out there, doesn't really seem like a very popular style. I dig all the dark fruit and brown sugar and malts in BSDA's, though, so Dubbels (and a lot of Tripels even) just aren't my style. Give me a dark Belgian, or a wild ale.