1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Belgium Beer trip

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by 100floods, Jun 10, 2013.

1. 100floods

100floods Initiate (0) California Jul 20, 2008

So I'm going to be in Belgium for a few days at the end of the month. I'm really stoked and I pretty much have a my drinking planned out (but I am open to any suggestions). HOWEVER my friend told me there are some bars, or A bar, that has a cellar with vintage Cantillon available. My girlfriend is a huge sour fan and I've heard amazing things about vintage Cantillon. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
  2. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Uh, there are a number. Where are you going?
  3. 100floods

100floods Initiate (0) California Jul 20, 2008

We're definitely going to the Delirium taphouse. It sounds like we're going to be based in Brussels, but we'll be traveling to Brugge for a day and Antwerp for a day.
  4. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Moeder Lambic in Brussels ought to have some, Kulminator in Antwerp ought to as well, and there are probably some places in Brugge but I don't recall seeing any.

Also, be prepared to pay for them if you find them.
  5. DHVL is the prime location to source your vintage lambics, but as suggested be prepared to spend some $$$
  6. I'll be there with the wife in two weeks - any advice for the best way to get from Brussels to DHVL if we are without a car? Taxi?

ETA: Same goes for getting to Drie Fonteinen and Oud Beersel. Thanks!
  7. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (325) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

If you make it to Beersel you might want to check out Hansen's in Dworp right down the road. There is a cool little locals bar called De Zwaan that has a nice selection of lambics right down the street from Hansen's. We rented a car but there is a bus that runs along the main street.
  8. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

as a Californian who just got back from 2 weeks in Brussels, let me say that you will likely much rather be spending your time at Moeder than Delirum. Don't bother searching out bars for Cantillon, just go to the brewery and enjoy it the way it was meant to be enjoyed.
    Jwale73 likes this.
  9. Tut

Tut Savant (390) New York Sep 23, 2004

If you want lambics, the Cafe La Brocante, 170 Rue Blaes, Brussels specializes in them. Lots more than just Cantillon. It's off the track and has a great, unique atmosphere. Much better than hanging with drunken tourists at Delerium Cafe.
  10. I've definitely found (and paid up for) some vintage Cantillon at Poechenellekelder, conveniently close to the touristic core, but I'm not sure how consistent or deep a selection it is. (Updating after checking their site...) They don't seem to list them on the main menu but I recall having a separate list on a laminated sheet of paper. So you may have to ask, and I haven't the last few times I've been.
  11. If you're there on a Sunday morning (only open a few hours), In de Verzekering Tegen de Grote Dorst is a great spot, a half hour drive or an hour by bus from Brussels. Vintage offerings from several lambic makers, and it's possible to preorder bottles to go, online, if you do it in advance.
  12. belgacity

belgacity Aspirant (25) New Jersey Aug 18, 2012

Hi ,

If you come to antwerp you have to visit http://www.dekoninck.be . This beer is a local beer but under the wings off the bigger brewery moortgat (duvet )
    There is also a cheese shop with the best cheese mixed with beer.

Feel free to contact me for more information !

Sacha Belgacity.com
  13. tell me about brussels. im going to have maybe 2 days max. staying near grand palace. visiting cantillon obviously, moeder also. ill have 2 young kids with me. is it possible to take a taxi to fonteinen? and affordable. train and bus service looks like an hour each way. also, any place i should stay at in particular?
  14. Tut

Why in hell would you want to be "conveniently close to the touristic core"?? Those of us who have spent much time in Brussels and know it well avoid that area like the plague. The Grand Place needs to be seen, but do it quick and get out. Do you really think walking to the stupid pissing boy statue and posing for pictures along with the tourist hordes is what Brussels is about?
  15. Tut, my experience from living in Brussels for 10 years and counting -- how long was your "much time in Brussels," incidentally? -- is that A) the bulk of the hotels are in the center, and B) any visitor is going to pass through there at some point. I'm not sure "what Brussels is about" but, 100floods, you have several excellent suggestions for wherever you go. BTW I've gotten plenty of good drinking advice from my visitors, so I make no claim that longevity trumps boots-on-the-ground experience.
  16. Tut

I've spent more than three months total in Brussels since 1998. I've explored many of it's areas since then. My longtime friend Marc, who I met at the Bier Circus in '98, has lived there his whole life and I often surprise him with good cafes he didn't know about.

Passing through the tourist center is one thing, but many visitors spend all their time there and don't ever discover areas like Ixelles, etc. The Grand Place needs to be seen, of course, but Brussels is much more than Mannekin Pis, Delirium Cafe, and eating rip-off meals at tourist restaurants on the Rue des Bouchers, as you should well know.
  17. Well there you have it, don't spend all of your couple days in Brussels in the center. Anyway. In search of practical advice for 100floods and hooliganlife, I should mention that you have two Moeder Lambics to check out, both worth it and not duplicative of each other, although no guarantees about aged Lambics. (In truth I tend to stock up and cellar my own so I notice more when there are fresh drafts or rarities around.) The Fontainas location is an easy walk from the center (Tut, beware!) and has more drafts and guest specials, keeping in mind this is a sort of newfangled thing in these parts. The St. Gilles location has a deeper menu and draft Cantillon in a more intimate space. I should also mention La Brocante in the Marolles area, also easily reached from the center if you (ahem) happen to be there, for as good a lambic selection as can be had in Brussels -- but again, I'm not sure about vintages if that is the end-all. I wouldn't recommend a taxi out to Beersel, it must be triple digits, so get a car or study your SNCB rail or De Lijn bus schedules. Not that I'd push that on someone with just a day or two unless 3F is your confirmed favorite. About DHVL, be prepared they may not sell to go. (There will be other forum threads about that.) For Vezekering, if you want bottles to take away (def'ly including vintages, and prices are good for standard fare), you have to order on their 'Huis van de gueze' website a few days in advance and pick up on Sunday during bar hours, or else they'll deliver for bulk orders.
  18. Tut

Moeder Lambic Fontainas is a great place to visit when in the center, but tired of the tourist crowds. I was there Friday before last. I agree with LA Brocante, and often recommend it. It's not a difficult walk from the center and exposes one to areas that tourists seldom see. They could have dinner at Restobieres just up the street, before or after Brocante. The original Moeder Lambic is also a good option, and getting there will expose them to another interesting Brussels neighborhood, St. Gilles. Could combine that with a visit to the Victor Horta museum.

This is the kind of itinerary a person can do with only two days, and also begin to see "what Brussels is about", rather than just posing for pictures in front of Mannikan Pis with the sheep, etc.
  19. The question isn't a tourist itinerary but vintage lambics. Report, please, if you recall seeing any.
  20. Tut

I recommended La Brocante for lambics in a much earlier post. My subsequent comments were about getting the most out of Brussels, and were meant for other readers, as well as the OP. The original question is not the only topic of discussion on most threads on this site.
  21. Jwale73

Jwale73 Advocate (670) Rhode Island Aug 15, 2007

I'd skip the Delirium - I went there back in May and was not impressed whatsoever. The Hoppy Loft was okay and I got to try a Black Damnation I'd never had, which was good. Went to Moeder Fontainas (twice) and really enjoyed it. There are some vintage bottles, but they are pricey, but they had quite a few Cantillons offerings on-draft. I was only there the night so don't have much to add, but you should try to hit Cantillon if you are there for sure.