1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Belgium IP trade/meet up summer 2013?

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by Mages64, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (380) Washington Sep 7, 2009

Happy new year all!
    I am heading to Belgium this summer and wanted to start a dialogue with some people about hooking up for a few beers and possibly trading! I'm primarily looking for the usual cool/hard-to-find lambics and gueuze but am open to anything really! I'm a huge whale trader and have access to a lot of stuff but I promise I'm fun to hang with too:) I've got all the usual suspects on my itinerary but would love to do a bottleshare or BA meetup too. Can't wait to head over there!
    Peace
    Dan

2. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

BM and let me know what I could hook you up with :) Sure a few people would be interested!

3. Do you have any references regarding this statement? I'd like to know before I commit to anything.

beerpirates likes this.
  4. When/whereabouts are you going in Belgium? I'll probably be going in the summer at some point too. Trade wise I could bring along locals (Wales + London) and stuff like Fullers Vintage Ale of different years. Or Mamouche if you can't get it in Belgium.

5. Come on Erik, you take in strays all of the time:)

6. SStein

SStein Savant (360) Belgium Dec 26, 2012

Depending on your dates and locations would be glad to meet up.

7. Mages64

Looks like it'll be during the beginning of July! I need to check on a lot more things but I'll probably be in Brussels for 7 nights and hopefully the st Bernardus bed & breakfast for 2-3 nights.
    As far as trading, I'd like to primarily focus on lambics and gueuzes. My all time favorites are millennium gueuze and blauw. I'd love to find a stille nacht reserva 08, 3F 50th, fresh westy blond (6?), any rare narke, Dirty horse, Akkarat only beers, Cantillon Finland only beers, and any one off cantillon or 3F beers. I have time to trade for almost anything you might be looking for. I have great access to the Bottleworks anniversary beers.
    Thoughts?:)

8. beerpirates

beerpirates Savant (445) Belgium May 4, 2010

It looks like your after the big guns

Good luck !

9. Mages64

Thanks:) thought I'd prepare for a whale hunt early in the year:) harpoonzzz!!!

10. Dennoman

Oh, so you're *that* American :D You'd better bring some big guns then :)

I don't really see any off your ISOs happening save for the "regular" one-off loons or 3F and of course the Westy blond. I know people with multiple SNR 08s, but they're dead protective of them. 3F 50th is only to be found in Scandinavia as far as I know, as are obviously all the Scandinavian exclusives and Närke.

Personal opinion: Stormaktsporter is just not worth it, I've had waaaaay better imperial stouts that are readily available.

11. Lazerlobe

Lazerlobe Savant (305) Washington Mar 1, 2010

h&l
    As his co-worker, I can vouch for Dan being fun to hang out with. And he has the right guns for big Euro trades.

12. Whereas 99% of Europeans don't.

13. Mages64

most americans aren't obsessive about their beer collecting either:) Just a few of us nerdy BAs:)

14. It's so unfair, nobody wants british beer :(
    My friend here in cardiff is from Seattle though, I can give her a list when she goes to visit :p

15. Dennoman

Now now, I've seriously never hunted anything quite as long as I have Brains Black. It's funny how the real whalezzz are easier to get than the local stuff usually.

16. Worth a shot. I'll trade someone a 4-pack of Brains Black for a bottle of BA speedway stout.

Good point though. Blabaer is one of the Cantillon whales I always see people searching for, and for a rare beer it has quite a lot of reviews. I'm happy though, I got Mamouche and St. Gilloise today :)

andrejes likes this.
  17. Shame you could not make West Flanders yesterday, I could have filled the van with Brains Black for you!

18. SStein

Hell I am happy getting whatever good beers I can. I don't think I have the time to hunt whales. It is like when I was in school with comic books trying to collect all the specialized rare covers but not enjoying them. I would rather get a few beers and enjoy them then hunt all day and be sad when I can't find that rare beer that noone here has either. However I have I different mindset as an American who is currently blessed enough to live here in Belgium for the next few years.

CwrwAmByth likes this.
  19. SStein

Also I don't have much that is very rare, but I would love to get some good English beers.

CwrwAmByth likes this.
  20. Mages64

I'd be ok trading for good beers too:) I just thought if there is anyone out in Belgium that was looking for whalez, itd be a good time to swap:) Also I share ALL my whales i ever get with local Seattle BAs. We have a few tastings each year and it is always wonderful to bust open new rare beers.
    If anyone is interested in trading, shoot me a BM and I'll get you an updated cellar list:)

21. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

I've tried trading for things with no luck.

Anyway, Dan and the Seattle guys seem like a great crowd from the conversations I've had, so hopefully something can be worked out.

22. To be honest if i'm there at the same time I wouldn't mind just bringing a few good locals (the UK craft scene has exploded recently) and just giving them to deserving people, after all they're what, a few quid a bottle at most so it's hardly breaking the bank. If i get something in return it's just a bonus :D

23. SStein

Sounds good to me. I definitely have a few bottles of good Belgian beer to share as well. And I definitely plan on picking up more soon.