1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Belgium trip November

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by keld1202, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Looking for some advice for a 4 day trip to Belgium in November. We will be renting a car and driving around to visit some breweries. We're still working through our plan but here is our plan so far:

Wednesday 11/14 Arrive in Brussels, visit Cantillon, sightseeing in Brussels
    Thursday 11/15 Drive down to visit Rochefort, then to Maredsous Abbey, and then on to Chimay. We're thinking about staying at the Inn at Chimay...anyone ever stayed here or have better recommendations?
    Friday 11/16 Drive to Westvleteren and visit In De Vrede cafe, then visit de Struise, then visit St Bernardus. Not sure whether to stay this night in this area or head to Brugge
    Saturday 11/17 Spend day visiting Brugge, spend night in Brugge
    Sunday 11/18 Head home

Does anyone have any recommendations for places we may have missed or anything you would recommend we skip? Thanks for any advice!
  2. Hi

Wednesday is OK, don't forget to 'sightsee' Moeder Lambic :)

I would skip Rochefort if I were you as they don't have any visitor facilities and head for the abbey of Orval instead, no experience with the 'Inn' in Chimay

Across the St-Bernardus brewery there's a B&B called 'Het Brouwershuis', always usefull after some 'tastings' ;) !
    http://www.toerismepoperinge.be/en/address/1213-1230-1454-25232/het-brouwershuis.html

Try to visit 'Kulminator' in Antwerp during your stay for the ultimate 'vintage beer experience' :)
  3. THE Struise is closed on Friday! But they have a tasting room in Brugge where you can taste and buy Struise beers!!
  4. Rochefort you can pass unless you just want a photo of the abbey. There is nothing there for a visitor to do. I've yet to visit Chimay but I do know that Orval is one of the best places I've ever visited in life if you're heading to the south it may be worth a look.

You may want to double check on In De Vrede. When I was there in February, it was closed on Friday. Of course, schedules can always change.

St. Bernardus doesn't do a strict tour schedule so get in touch prior and perhaps set up a time on your own merit. Also, Het Brouwershuis is no-brainer for the night if you love their beers. Watou is a tiny little town but there are three or four places to eat and you should definitely visit Cafe Helleketel about a mile from St. Bernardus brewery. Believe it's been serving beer since the late 1890s.

It also means you could visit In Da Vrede that next morning on Saturday and with Struise being just down the road, you can see the tasting school before driving the hour north to Brugge for the night.

Regardless of what you choose, you will have a great time. And, it leaves even more to see the next time you visit!
  5. Mar02x

Mar02x Savant (320) Netherlands Aug 29, 2011

Is there a change of doing an IP trade in Brugge? I would like to join to the Struise beershop as well.

Cheers,
    Mark
  6. NaNach

NaNach Aficionado (110) New York Jul 13, 2011

visit 3fountenien its close to brussels
  7. Your trip sounds fun, I've done 2 long weekends there in the past, ( out of 12 visits ) usually leaving on thursday and coming back on monday. I've stayed at the Chimay Inn . It was 11 years ago tho. I enjoyed it, good food, good beer.

I would head to brugge on friday night so that you can have 2 nights there. You can park the car and just enjoy !!

cheers
  8. Check the site of Westvleteren and Cafe in de Vrede because they are usually closed on the friday! Saturday would be much better.

Thijs
  9. Thanks for all the tips...have to look into changing around our schedule a little. Might need to spend Friday in Brugge and do a day trip down to Westvleteren and de Struise on Saturday when they're both open or try to arrange our schedule to be able to make it to those two on Wednesday. Would there be any advantage to driving from Paris to Westvleteren instead of taking the train?
  10. I would almost say so. Trainconnections from Paris will a bit hard. I have read that there are going trains from Paris to Bruges, Gent, Antwerps and Brussels. I would go by car if i were you!
  11. Thanks for the advice on Kulminator! We changed our schedule to include a visit there, and it was the highlight of the trip for my husband. He had a 2000 chimay and a 1979 westy 12. The Kulminator is definitely a must for any beer trip to Belgium...and not too far from Brussels.
    Brabander likes this.
  12. ^^^^^Adding a 'Hell, Yeah!!!^^^^^
  13. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Bumping an old thread- the fianceƩ and I are planning a 2 week trip to Europe at the end of May. At the moment, we are looking at an open jaw starting at my old haunts in Munich, then to the great outdoors of Switzerland's Berner Oberland, then Paris and flying out of Brussels. It seems that we may have a couple days to spare in Belgium so I figured it would be worthwhile to visit Cantillon, Westvleteren, St. Bernardus, etc.. what are the places I need to put on my must-see list? Not just the beer-related sites but also those of general interest..
  14. SStein

SStein Savant (340) Belgium Dec 26, 2012

Out near Westvleteren, St. Bernardus, De Lolle, Struise is a WWI museum In Flander's Fields. Waterloo is just outside of Brussels and not too far from Drie Fonteinen, and Bastogne is not to far from Orval, Fantome and d'Achouffe.
  15. Stevedore

Awesome. We've just booked the tickets and I'm looking at 2, maybe 3, days in Belgium in the first few days of July. We'll be in France before that, probably Paris though we could be heading to Belgium from Normandy. I'll definitely visit Cantillon and drink my fill of Trappists and the rest of the best that Belgium has to offer in Brussels, but I'm thinking I really should stop by Westvleteren to at least try what people are calling one of the best beers in the world. And since I'm a history buff, I really like the WWI museum suggestion- visiting Ypres would definitely be a highlight in addition to Westvleteren and perhaps de Struise and St Bernardus if there's time. Thank you for the recommendations!
  16. Stevedore

Or, I should ask- in the event that we don't make it out of Brussels (our itinerary is still in flux) are there places in Brussels where I could buy bottles of Westvleteren 8 or 12 to drink as well as to take home?
  17. drtth

drtth Champion (830) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

One quite near the center that often has them in stock is the Beer Temple.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4176/?view=beerfly
  18. beerpirates

beerpirates Savant (425) Belgium May 4, 2010

Don't forget to visit "in flanders fields " but i'm sure you know that ,
    And also the trenches in diksmuide called " de dodengang "
    Adres
    Ijzerdijk 65, 8600 diksmuide
    Contact
    +32 5 1519146