Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine by selecting auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Bellevue, Tukwila - How do you like your Total Wine so far?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by leedorham, Oct 24, 2012.

1. leedorham

leedorham Champion (845) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I'm not seeing any reviews and we're getting one soon here in Spokane.
    checktherhyme likes this.
  2. punkhim

punkhim Aficionado (240) Washington Dec 22, 2011 Verified

It loses the charm of a bottle shop, but the prices are hard to beat.
  3. As someone who works for Total Wine I'd say I'm pretty charming.

66jzmstr, beertunes and draheim like this.
  4. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (610) Washington Dec 13, 2011 Verified

prices on most beers are not beatable for sure, but I dislike the fact that they leave most bottles out. Some staff are quite knowledgeable and selection is quite good.
  5. NWer

NWer Advocate (720) Washington Mar 10, 2009 Verified

Bellevue store is awesome. One guy was extremely knowledgeable another not so much so if you don't get the answer you're looking for, try somebody else.
    Tip - they keep limited release beers locked up - ask at information counter near entrance.
  6. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Savant (280) Washington Jul 17, 2005 Verified

My guess is that's Brian (if I'm remembering names correctly) - the younger dude with the strawberry blonde chin beard. The dude is super helpful and clearly loves beer.
  7. HuskyinPDX

HuskyinPDX Advocate (680) Washington Jan 23, 2011 Verified

what kind of limited beers?
  8. HuskyinPDX

HuskyinPDX Advocate (680) Washington Jan 23, 2011 Verified

I have found some decent stuff there, but the prices are great. Fremont bombers for 2.99 is tough to beat.
  9. NWer

Berserker for one. I asked at the information counter limit one per person - fortunately my wife was with me so I walked out with two. I don't get down there very often so I can't speak to what all they've gotten in.
  10. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (415) Washington Sep 7, 2009 Verified

BA old ruffian was a big find! Clown shoes too. Weird.
    barleywinefiend likes this.
  11. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

Well, if this kind of providence is coming to Spokane, I plan to make friendly with the employees at Total Wine.
  12. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (670) Germany Jun 4, 2009

TW employees on BA...few and far between. I've been to stores in AZ, Cali, GA, FL, and I think one time there was a dude semi-interested in beer.
  13. Off subject, but I'm diggin your avatar- Love anadivine!
  14. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (610) Washington Dec 13, 2011 Verified

Yup, BA Old Ruffian sat for about a week too. I picked up a total of 5 bottles - traded 3 bottles, drank 1 bottle, and kept 1 bottle for later consumption
  15. SeaAle

SeaAle Savant (460) Oregon Jun 24, 2012 Verified

Hopefully it's better than BevMo for beer. I've been disappointed over their beer selection.
    barleywinefiend likes this.
  16. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (680) Germany Jan 19, 2010 Verified

I know in jax fl there is an awesome Ba who works there. Even helped me special order stuff for my wedding:)
  17. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Initiate (0) Washington Sep 12, 2012

The Spokane store opens next Friday (11/02/12)!
  18. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (895) Washington May 12, 2005 Verified

Such a frustrating practice - put the beer on the damn shelf. In my experience with Total Wine locations on the east coast, there is absolutely no chance I'd spend money at a Puget Sound location with all the great bottle shops we have here.
    FalconA likes this.
  19. NWer

Why? So one person can snatch it all up for himself? I'm fine with rationing limited release beers to try to spread the wealth. Most beer stores do it.
    SatlyMalty likes this.
  20. dirtylou

I have no issue with "rationing" in the sense of bottle limits - unfortunately thats rather essential these days for the reason you detailed.

But I read your message to mean that they have beers that are not on display that you have to inquire about to receive. This is not standard practice that "most beer stores do" - sure, some, but definitely not most. I find that annoying - It's not very efficient for me to ask an employee if they have beer X, Y, Z. It's much more sensible for me to see it on the shelf. I can only think of 1 or 2 stores in the Seattle area that I suspect are "inquiry-only" on certain releases. I don't have time for that!
    FalconA likes this.
  21. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,120) Washington Sep 18, 2010 Verified

I'm w/ dirtylou on this one. What if I don't have time to seek out the beer guy, to ask if some beer is available, so I can wait for him/her to go back to check if it's in stock, yada yada... If you have it, just put it out on the shelf like any other beer. No BS, no special treatment, no speakeasy attitude.

I recognize that some people hoard, but most people don't. Maybe code the beer somehow so a bottle limit is indicated at checkout? There's gotta be a better way. (But after an Adoration and a Brown Shugga in the last 90 minutes, I'm probably not in the best position to offer a solution. :))

SatlyMalty likes this.
  22. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Clown Shoes in Washington state? Wonder how they are pulling that off.
  23. dirtylou

Clown Shoes and Total Wine have some weird partnership - anywhere Total Wine exists, you should be able to find Clown Shoes
  24. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,390) Washington Sep 24, 2007 Verified

On a semi-related note, how are people liking Bevmo? Just announced 4 new ones coming soon, including Hamsterville.
  25. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Interesting. That has to mean clown shoes is licensed to sell in Washington state. hmmmmmmm
  26. SeaAle

SeaAle Savant (460) Oregon Jun 24, 2012 Verified

Poor selection and over priced. That's how I feel about BevMo.
  27. BillHilly

BillHilly Savant (420) Washington Oct 17, 2010

Total wine has a ridiculous tequila section...it's like 60' plus in Tukwila...lots of beers, have yet to try the ask for a beer (rare beers - thanks for the tip)...pricing is crazy low.
  28. Glucky

Glucky Aspirant (30) Nov 11, 2012

Anyone know what limited release beers are behind the counter this week? I picked up a bottle of Dissident last week.